What's the point of the IV ban again?

blah_blah619

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
It seems like there's been more fighters missing weight than ever since the IV ban and honestly I don't know what the big deal is. If it's just used to rehydrate why not them use it? Does it give some sort of competitive edge I'm not aware of or does it make it easier to hide PEDs or something? If not they should chill the fuck out and let them IV bro.

I don't know man I guess people don't like Roman numerals.

I don't like the iv for weight cutting purposes but it's cuz it's easier to mask peds with it. Surprising how many fighters used it

The logic has to do with it being used for masking PED usage, WADA doesn't allow it

And you can orally rehydrate just as well if not better than using IVs

The logic has to do with masking PED usage

And you can orally rehydrate just as well if not better than using IVs
This but it also discourages massive/potentially dangerous weight cuts

#GUERNICAbless

To combat masking and dehydration.

Here's a bright idea: fight in your legitimate weight class and stop trying to circumvent the reason we have weight separation in the first place.

It looks like they're saying that due to medical literature not supporting IV's speeding up the hydration process and the fact "cocktails" are being given with the IV's, that's the reason for the ban. But it doesn't speed up, it's just after a brutal weight cut it's a lot easier on the stomach and such to get the fluids in you intravenously than orally. I wonder if you did it using pure saline, how would they be able to tell? Injection mark I guess but I wonder if there are still fighters that do it in secret and get away with it.

The Iv ban is not causing fighters to miss weight. It might make them fight worse if they are not able to properly rehydrate.

Yaaaaa - that's not true.
Yaaa - it really is. Or at least it's contentious and not not been proven that IVs are legtimately better in all cases. Hence the language "as well if not better", because the data isn't clear but most shows there's not a huge difference (and in non athlete studies, oral rehydration is often better for treating dehydration)- and with the combination of weigh ins being moved to earlier the one advantage that IVs have (speed, which also isn't proven), isn't a huge factor either.

I figure it might have something to do with the inherent health risks of repeatedly dehydrating your body to the point where you need an IV to be able to function the next day.

Johny-Hendricks-Looks-Massive-MMA-UFC-JohnyHendricks.jpg

Not sure if the IV ban is what's to blame. If you ask yourself why Hendricks doesn't look like this anymore? That'll lead you to a more reasonable answer.

Back