What's the name of this gi choke ?

ITRDC5

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi guys ,

Before lockdown I was having a lot of success with this choke and looking for options from it .

Basically I'm on top side control , I have gripped my opponents nearside collar and stiff arming hard against his neck with my wrist /forearm (my arm is totally straight ) .
I then swing my leg over and to the other side of this head and pull my ankle in .I finish from being on top .

The choke comes from the collar grip and the leg on the other side of his head .

Thanks , I was told what it was ages ago but no idea now , any ideas ??

I've heard it be called the 2x4 choke or step over choke.

Yes ! That choke is absolute money , got a lot of higher belts with that .

Some good points in those videos aswell ,cheers guys

Also sometimes called the canto choke. There's a judoka called flavio canto who hit it a lot in competition. You can also get it from closed guard if you swing your leg around but its much harder. There's a guard called 'gubber guard' which is a lapel wrap where you can set it up nicely from closed guard but it takes a lot of practice.

Saulo Ribeiro likes it too. It's a good one but can be tricky to get in the right position - it's easy to end up stiff arming their face or cranking their neck, so make sure you focus on proper arm position

There's a white belt I trained with who was extremely good with this choke. Caught me all the time with it. Very legit attack.

I love this choke. From top position, I trap their hand on my shoulder and go for the double attack of the far side reverse armlock. It's probably my highest-percentage submission.

The main problem I have with this is that my opponent blocks my leg coming over once I have done it a few times :)

This is my go to, especially if i use their gi trapped under the armpit and under the head. Easy to keep base and very tight!

Back