What's the most obvious fluke win in UFC history?

A big puncher knocking someone out with a punch is NEVER a "fluke." There's a difference between an upset and a "fluke."

Anderson breaking his own leg against Weidman is a an example of a fluke. It wasn't a big upset, but the way he lost was still a fluke.

Lindland knocking himself out slamming his opponent also comes to mind.

SickValidIndianringneckparakeet-size_restricted.gif

Conor vs Aldo is the epitome of fluke.

Matt Hughes win over Carlos Newton.

Literally got choked out and should have lost, but he unintentionally slammed Newton KOing him. Actually a true fluke win.

I saw Carlos at Revolution back in teh day, and once said to him "hey bro, you know if the ref looked up at hughes instead of down at you, he would have seen him out, and you'd of won".

He just shook his head at me

Craig vs Ankalaev, Alvarez vs RDA, Bisping vs Rockhold

Literally got choked out and should have lost, but he unintentionally slammed Newton KOing him. Actually a true fluke win.
You could however make the case that if this was a real fight, Hughes had the upper hand, as he came back to consciousness before Newton, theoretically allowing him to ground and pound Newton or so in a fictional scenario.

You could however make the case that if this was a real fight, Hughes had the upper hand, as he came back to consciousness before Newton, theoretically allowing him to ground and pound Newton or so in a fictional scenario.
Yup that's true, but the slam that resulted in Newton being knocked out was the fluke I'm pointing out. Hughes was unconscious at that point and unintentionally slammed Newton.

Not a fluke a fluke would be if you were dominanting and lost but a lucky shot or you were way better than the guy who beat you but Hughes destroyed him in the rematch

How many embarrassing losses does a fighter need to suffer before we stop calling them flukes? Anderson also lost to Daiju Takase. Was that also a fluke?

Anderson had a great career in the UFC and was blessed with some great match-making that saw him largely able to avoid great wrestlers and submission artists. Not always, but largely. He was always going to have trouble with the Chael Sonnens and Chris Weidmans of the world. And when those Japanese fighters over in Pride were using him like a dirty cumrag, it wasn't so much a fluke as just bad matchups for Anderson.
Ryo was offered to fight AS in the UFC and he turned it down specifically stating that AS would of merked him if they fought again

Yup that's true, but the slam that resulted in Newton being knocked out was the fluke I'm pointing out. Hughes was unconscious at that point and unintentionally slammed Newton.
That's true of course. Just thought there are two interesting angles you can look at it from.

Not super flukey in the sense that Robbie had a great chin and power in his hands and Melvin was known as a glass cannon.....but was still shocking as Melvin was crushing Robbie until this point.

EEKV.gif

If Jones v Chael had been called after the first round because Jones' toe was so mangled the doc stopped it, would that have constituted a 'fluke'?

Generally I agree with (what I think is) your point. It's all semantic, and what some call 'fluke' or 'lucky' others may call 'low chance'. But Hall throwing a low chance spinning back kick that lands is just that - low chance, certainly not a 'fluke' by definition (though it may be used that way colloquially). Same with Serra v GSP. In some says, same with Couture v Vitor 2.

But a mangled toe....that may actually be a 'fluke' in it's most basic definition.

Impossible to say because he stopped him whilst having the broken toe.

Landing a strike in a fight that leads to a knockout is anything but lucky. It’s literally completing the objective of what you’re doing.

Low chance, sure, whatever.

That’s not luck or a fluke.

There's a lot of fights that come to mind. JDS knocking Cain out maybe? I mean even before the rematches people saw that win as a fluke and nobody really thought JDS was the better fighter.

Wrong. People on these boards completely wrote Cain off after that quick KO. They even used Cain's one half-assed single leg attempt as proof that he can't take JDS down.

Serra over GSP is the obvious one.

Also Bisping managing to win a title. It was a great moment and you had to feel good for the guy, but he would lose to Rockhold 9 times out of 10 and most of the top 10 at that time would have beaten him too.

Back