What's the most obvious fluke win in UFC history?

There's a lot of fights that come to mind. JDS knocking Cain out maybe? I mean even before the rematches people saw that win as a fluke and nobody really thought JDS was the better fighter.
Eddie Alvarez vs RDA? That's a good one as well I don't think there's a lot of people who think Eddie was better.
What fights do you guys think of where the better fighter lost?
Hands down, it has to be Matt Hamill's glorious victory over Jon Jones.

There’s no such thing as a fluke win.
If Jones v Chael had been called after the first round because Jones' toe was so mangled the doc stopped it, would that have constituted a 'fluke'?

Generally I agree with (what I think is) your point. It's all semantic, and what some call 'fluke' or 'lucky' others may call 'low chance'. But Hall throwing a low chance spinning back kick that lands is just that - low chance, certainly not a 'fluke' by definition (though it may be used that way colloquially). Same with Serra v GSP. In some says, same with Couture v Vitor 2.

But a mangled toe....that may actually be a 'fluke' in it's most basic definition.

Last edited:
bisping vs rockhold

Rockhold himself said when they sparred that Bisping kicked his ass. It was early in his career, but the signs were there that Bisping's style worked well on Rockhold.

In their first fight the first round was close, and Bisping hurt Rockhold briefly when he caught him. The fight only turned in round 2 when Rockhold landed a monster of a high kick and hurt Bisping, and then he lost on the ground - which no one really thought he was better at anyways, especially if already hurt. Again though, Bisping didn't seem out of Rockhold's league.

Second fight Bisping was winning before the KO.

It's just one of those outcomes that sounds off, especially given the last minute step up. But otherwise no.

There's nothing flukey about trying to hit someone and hitting them.

I'd say something like Masvidal against Ellenberger.

There's a lot of fights that come to mind. JDS knocking Cain out maybe? I mean even before the rematches people saw that win as a fluke and nobody really thought JDS was the better fighter.
Eddie Alvarez vs RDA? That's a good one as well I don't think there's a lot of people who think Eddie was better.
What fights do you guys think of where the better fighter lost?

Nice revisionist history there bud. Dos Santos was almost even odds with Cain on the first fight and was nearly a 2 to 1 favorite in the rematch. https://www.bestfightodds.com/events/ufc-155-dos-santos-vs-velasquez-ii-585 If nobody thought he was the better fighter, as you say, those odds would have changed with all the money pouring in on Cain.

It was a fluke win, yes, but the rest of your narrative sounds like you weren't even watching MMA back then.

There's nothing flukey about trying to hit someone and hitting them.

I'd say something like Masvidal against Ellenberger.

So if I KO Tyson Fury in a boxing match, because I tried to hit him, it wouldn't be a fluke?
You're definition is wrong, imo. A fluke is more about how repeatable something is

Last edited:
I'm gonna go old school Matt Lindland vs Falaniko Vitale......Lindland literally won that fight for Vitale lol.....you could also say Maynard vs Emerson but that was ruled a NC

Matt Serra's win over GSP. No bigger fluke win in UFC history.

HalfOptimisticGannet-size_restricted.gif
What's crazy is that was the first fight I ever bet on. The odds were like 15-1. I bet Serra with like $50.

So if I KO Tyson Fury in a boxing match, because I tried to hit him, it wouldn't be a fluke?
Wrong. You're definition is wrong. A fluke is more about how repeatable something is

I don't think it's good luck if you intend to hit him and manage it, no.

If he tripped on his shoelaces and banged his head on the floor and you got the KO that way then that would be a fluke imo.

I'm not talking about the second fight, where GSP won dominantly. I'm talking about the first fight. Nobody, and I mean nobody, thought Serra was gonna win. It was a running joke in the MMA community that Serra even got the title shot to begin with. He was never worthy of such a thing and would have never gotten it if it wasn't for TUF. But that whole TUF thing got him there and against all odds he won it by beating GSP of all people. It was easily the Tyson/Douglas of MMA. A real life Rocky story. I've never seen a victory as shocking as that in this company. It is without a doubt the biggest fluke win in UFC history.
You're confusing an upset, for a fluke. Serra knocking GSP out was not a fluke, but it was the biggest upset in UFC history, yes.

You're confusing an upset, for a fluke. Serra knocking GSP out was not a fluke, but it was the biggest upset in UFC history, yes.

The way he beat him wasn't a fluke. The fluke was him winning at all.

He was literally conscious enough to forfeit... he essentially ADMITTED Serras superiority over him LOL

Bisping vs Rockhold was a Fluke.. Serra vs GSP was flat out giving up.

GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif
Good thing he tapped, saved himself enough brain cells to go on to become the sport's one true GOAT

ImportantRingedArmyant-max-1mb.gif

Back