What's the most obvious fluke win in UFC history?

There's a lot of fights that come to mind. JDS knocking Cain out maybe? I mean even before the rematches people saw that win as a fluke and nobody really thought JDS was the better fighter.
Eddie Alvarez vs RDA? That's a good one as well I don't think there's a lot of people who think Eddie was better.
What fights do you guys think of where the better fighter lost?
Eddie is a beast, I don't care who you are, that wasn't a fluke.

There's a lot of fights that come to mind. JDS knocking Cain out maybe? I mean even before the rematches people saw that win as a fluke and nobody really thought JDS was the better fighter.
Eddie Alvarez vs RDA? That's a good one as well I don't think there's a lot of people who think Eddie was better.
What fights do you guys think of where the better fighter lost?

Conor vs Aldo

True, Matt Serra earned his victory over GSP and Yair set-up the elbow against Zombie, but I guess in the general context, “Fluke” is almost on par with “one in a hundred.”

silva vs ryo
How many embarrassing losses does a fighter need to suffer before we stop calling them flukes? Anderson also lost to Daiju Takase. Was that also a fluke?

Anderson had a great career in the UFC and was blessed with some great match-making that saw him largely able to avoid great wrestlers and submission artists. Not always, but largely. He was always going to have trouble with the Chael Sonnens and Chris Weidmans of the world. And when those Japanese fighters over in Pride were using him like a dirty cumrag, it wasn't so much a fluke as just bad matchups for Anderson.

Was it really a fluke? GSP wanted nothing to do with Serra's striking in the rematch.

I'm not talking about the second fight, where GSP won dominantly. I'm talking about the first fight. Nobody, and I mean nobody, thought Serra was gonna win. It was a running joke in the MMA community that Serra even got the title shot to begin with. He was never worthy of such a thing and would have never gotten it if it wasn't for TUF. But that whole TUF thing got him there and against all odds he won it by beating GSP of all people. It was easily the Tyson/Douglas of MMA. A real life Rocky story. I've never seen a victory as shocking as that in this company. It is without a doubt the biggest fluke win in UFC history.

I'm not talking about the second fight, where GSP won dominantly. I'm talking about the first fight. Nobody, and I mean nobody, thought Serra was gonna win. It was a running joke in the MMA community that Serra even got the title shot to begin with. He was never worthy of such a thing and would have never gotten it if it wasn't for TUF. But that whole TUF thing got him there and against all odds he won it by beating GSP of all people. It was easily the Tyson/Douglas of MMA. A real life Rocky story. I've never seen a victory as shocking as that in this company. It is without a doubt the biggest fluke win in UFC history.
Funny you say that. I remember people were saying before the rematch its a terrible matchup for GSP because Serra can knock him out standing and he has a very good guard and BJJ. I agree he didn't deserve a titleshot and shouldn't be in HOF (He's just there because he's friends with Dana and beat GSP)

Funny you say that. I remember people were saying before the rematch its a terrible matchup for GSP because Serra can knock him out standing and he has a very good guard and BJJ. I agree he didn't deserve a titleshot and shouldn't be in HOF (He's just there because he's friends with Dana and beat GSP)

That was because of the way he beat GSP. All of a sudden people saw him as a legit threat. But that was the second go-round. The first time, NOBODY saw him winning.

Frank Mir vs Wes Sims 1

DC/Stipe 1<DCrying>

Damn Daniel hit him with the same punch off the same clinch breaks multiple times in the 2nd and 3rd fights and Stipe was never even dropped

Yet he fell like a sack of potatoes in the 2st due to DCs flagrant eyepoke. DC getting finished in the 2nd and nearly finished in the 3rd but dominated settled the score

he was beating him the entire fight

How many embarrassing losses does a fighter need to suffer before we stop calling them flukes? Anderson also lost to Daiju Takase. Was that also a fluke?

Anderson had a great career in the UFC and was blessed with some great match-making that saw him largely able to avoid great wrestlers and submission artists. Not always, but largely. He was always going to have trouble with the Chael Sonnens and Chris Weidmans of the world. And when those Japanese fighters over in Pride were using him like a dirty cumrag, it wasn't so much a fluke as just bad matchups for Anderson.
fair points.
and ill change my wording to be more fitting.
change the word fluke to fixed. my bad lol

Back