• Fire Fighter

• Pilot

• Teacher

• Astronaut

• Humanitarian worker

• Scientist

• Farmer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Custodian. How many times have you relied on them to handle shit you dont want to touch?

Volunteer work.

Anything you get paid to do is less honorable than doing things because you just want to help.

This

Sherdog Moderator
Also this
It's firefighter for some reason. It's actually a cushy job most of the time.

Yeah, can be dangerous and a lot of them don't get paid.

I'd pick that if I had to off of this list... or teacher because a lot of these professions need to have educators to get people in position to do those jobs.

Yeah, can be dangerous and a lot of them don't get paid.

Depends where you work. Dealing with those California fires every year? Yeah fuck that. However if you're working somewhere in the suburbs where not much happens, you're basically on call chilling at the fire station.

Not sure what you mean by not getting paid. It's can be a lucrative position. I'd much rather be a firefighter than a cop.

Lol @ firefighter

What do they even do? The occasional emergency calls they get does not justify their saintly reputations as heroes. All the fire fighters I know are taking the piss, racking up $100,000 of overtime on the taxpayers dollar while they sit on their fat asses playing Xbox live. Day in day out. Oh and they only work 2 full days a week LMAO! Sounds like a cruisy job if you ask me.
I bet you'll sing a different tune when one has to come and lift your fat ass off of the couch because you fell asleep with a cigarette in your mouth and set the house on fire.

@Lubaolong I don't get Architect being up there... Sure they can make tons of money, but I see all these empty strip malls that were built yet no one ever leased space from them. Tearing up good forest/land for literally nothing.

Depends where you work. Dealing with those California fires every year? Yeah fuck that. However if you're working somewhere in the suburbs where not much happens, you're basically on call chilling at the fire station.

Not sure what you mean by not getting paid. It's can be a lucrative position. I'd much rather be a firefighter than a cop.
There are some areas, usually rural or poor that can't afford to pay firefighters, or at least most of them. So other than a couple at the top, the rest are volunteers.

I remember undergoing a quick training regarding firefighting. We were all dressed up in our firefighter gear and we're supposed to eliminate a small fire in this house-like structure. I was the first in our line holding the hose (there were like 7 of us holding it) and as soon as the door opened, i felt hot air surge out and i was this is some crazy fucked up shit!

The hose was hard to control, it was incredibly hot inside, it was hard to see with all the smoke, it was fucking hell and it was just a small fire we were trying to get rid off. Imagine going inside a fucking burning house trying to save people jesus christ. After that lecture, i gained a lot of respect to firefighters.

My first choice for most honorable job though still goes to prostitutes.

There are some areas, usually rural or poor that can't afford to pay firefighters, or at least most of them. So other than a couple at the top, the rest are volunteers.

Lol I don't think this thread is referring to dirt poor places. Taxes pay firefighters in the US.

I think this really depends on culture. For societies which prizes education obviously teachers would be viewed very highly. Typically in dictatorial societies, military professions tend to be rated highly as well. IMO, the job that should be the most honorable should be the ones that tied directly to the well-being of the people. So people like Jonas Salk, who came up with the vaccine for Polio and did it non-profit, to me, is one that deserve such praise. I think people tend to undermine the contributions scientists have made to the society as they are largely responsible for the tangible improvement of our daily lives.

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what OP is looking for by "honorable" but I'd pick astronaut on that list. Gotta be smart as hell, fit, super disciplined and beat out a large pool for a tiny amount of spots.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2F20160331_Prestige.jpg
that's funny that they list cop and firefighter as professions.

@Lubaolong I don't get Architect being up there... Sure they can make tons of money, but I see all these empty strip malls that were built yet no one ever leased space from them. Tearing up good forest/land for literally nothing.

This is not some mathematical equation that ranks professions by their overall contributions to society. It's all based on public opinion. Jobs with higher level of pay, career stability/mobility, perceived positive impact on society, and with well-known professional associations are probably more likely to be seen as high prestige.

This is not some mathematical equation that ranks professions by their overall contributions to society. It's all based on public opinion. Jobs with higher level of pay, career stability/mobility, perceived positive impact on society, and with well-known professional associations are probably more likely to be seen as high prestige.
Oh, I completely understand it was about public opinion. What I don’t understand is why people view architects in such high regard. Pay aside, as I pointed out, commercial architecture these days seems to be a huge waste of resources. At least in suburbia. Residential architecture is completely formulaic so there really doesn’t seem to be any reason for prestige to be associated with the profession.

Doctors Without Borders doctors risking their own health and life to help those in desperate need in shithole countries.

Back