What's the least punishing cardio on your body/knees?

greenarrow

White Belt
Reaction score
I train judo 3x a week, and 2 days a week I lift weights following Rippetoe's SS program. So essentially I'm doing some sort of backwork/legwork every day for 5 days straight. I was just wondering what type of cardio is the least punishing - especially on your knees?

Swimming. But stick to freestyle or backstroke. Your knees will actually 'slide' and have pressure on them from strokes like butterfly and breast-stroke.

rowing machines, ellipticals, swimming, running on grass, etc.

been doing barbell/dumbbell complexes lately and they seem pretty easy on the knees

I'm no expert, but I would go with swimming. Maybe I should start doing that since running has been death on my knees.

swimming is a good way to go. if you want to something with adjustable resistance for HIIT then try versa climbers or rowing machines.

I train judo 3x a week, and 2 days a week I lift weights following Rippetoe's SS program. So essentially I'm doing some sort of backwork/legwork every day for 5 days straight. I was just wondering what type of cardio is the least punishing - especially on your knees?

You train Judo 3 times per week, you lift weights twice per week. Extra training on top of this would wear you down. Besides, I would think that Judo itself gives you all the cardio fitness you require. Pick out a decent Judo fighter in your club at randori time. Wrestle hard with him for 5 mins straight. Stop and rest for 1 min. Then wrestle hard again for 5 mins. Aim for takedowns, submissions, just keep driving untill the other guy gives up. Now do a few rounds of that and then tell me how you feel.

most definitely wheelchairing

I was going to say:

disabled_ski2_428x269_to_468x312.jpg

If you are worried about stress on your joints than it's a stationary bike. Just make sure the seat is adjusted correctly or it will do more damage than good.

Swimming is good unless you have arthritis under your knee caps then it is the worst because the water pushes on it hard. I think the best thing is to take everyones' suggestions and mix it up.

Maybe I'm just lazy but Judo 3x a week should be a good amount of cardio. I conisder BJJ 2x a week my cardio. Why not just spar a little longer in class, keep your heart rate up

Hitting the heavy bag, 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest.

You sure you need more cardio training?

You train Judo 3 times per week, you lift weights twice per week. Extra training on top of this would wear you down. Besides, I would think that Judo itself gives you all the cardio fitness you require. Pick out a decent Judo fighter in your club at randori time. Wrestle hard with him for 5 mins straight. Stop and rest for 1 min. Then wrestle hard again for 5 mins. Aim for takedowns, submissions, just keep driving untill the other guy gives up. Now do a few rounds of that and then tell me how you feel.

This also seems like really good advice.

I use to be a runner 30+ miles a week. Last year I got diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both of my knees, it SUCKS. I can't run, do a treadmill or do anything active unless I want my knees to crap out

I have tried everything to get my cardio in. The best things are swimming and elliptical. I have no access to a pool so I bought an elliptical and it doesnt hurt my knees as much, eventhough it still hurts. I just do 40-50 mins on the elliptical 4 times a week so I dont turn into a lard ass.

also i sprained my wrist boxing, and it has never been the same so I cant even lift weights

my life sucks

Swimming. Cardio and good for overall body workout. And just like running, you can do interval swimming -- mix fast laps with slow resting laps. Don't burn yourself out though.

Back