What's the general thought of the Gracie Barra Association?

JustSomeGuy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn more about the Gracie Barra association while deciding on a school. Anyone have any input on the pros/cons of the Gracie Barra association and schools?

They did very well at the Worlds this weekend.

Are you starting out or switching schools? I was not familiar with GB Mansfield until you posted the other thread. What city do you live in?

McDojo of BJJ.

It's a hit or miss. you can train at a GB gym with world class BB instructor or GB gym with a purple belt as head instructor

Are you starting out or switching schools? I was not familiar with GB Mansfield until you posted the other thread. What city do you live in?

Restarting back into BJJ after a long lay off. I'm south of the metroplex so looking into schools in that area. I'm familiar with the Machado-based schools, but not familiar with Gracie Barra. Trying to find out a little more info about the association as a whole.

McDojo of BJJ.

It's a hit or miss. you can train at a GB gym with world class BB instructor or GB gym with a purple belt as head instructor

Having never trained at one, this is probably what I hear the most

A lot of the competitive mma guys around portland are GB and do pretty well in their fights

McDojo of BJJ.

I hear this a lot, and while I think GB is super cheesy with their marketing and culture, they generally have consistently good jiu jitsu, at least in my country.

Since you're in LA (I think) I would imagine that the GB schools there are even better, but you'd know better I guess. One big issue, that's probably worse down there, is the huge number of affiliate gyms that seem to just be cash grabs.

I would pass on that GB location. Other schools I would recommend over HT (excluding my own even).

They're like the Yankees. A bit of an evil empire.

visit the gym you are thinking about joining. That is how you find out if a gym will be a good fit for you.

McDojo of BJJ.

This. They "do well at Worlds" on account of the sheer number of competitors they enter and their Black Belts.

He visited the gym, he's also going to visit a few other schools in the area. I've been messaging back and forth with him.

I think he just wants to gather more info about GB overall.

visit the gym you are thinking about joining. That is how you find out if a gym will be a good fit for you.
Yep, I've been to 5 already. Checking out a 6th tonight.

My criteria is a little diff. I'm old now and just want to roll for fun and exercise. Not interested in competing or even training with the local top competitors. Would rather find a more laid back school where I can go at my pace.

From what I am reading, it seems like GB fosters that sort of thing. But I'd like to learn more about it before signing up.

Yep, I've been to 5 already. Checking out a 6th tonight.

My criteria is a little diff. I'm old now and just want to roll for fun and exercise. Not interested in competing or even training with the local top competitors. Would rather find a more laid back school where I can go at my pace.

From what I am reading, it seems like GB fosters that sort of thing. But I'd like to learn more about it before signing up.

Sounds like GB is your place then. Their motto is "Jiu Jitsu For Everyone" afterall.

McDojo of BJJ.

purple belt head instructors is still very common in lots of places

The gym I'm looking at in particular has a black belt instructor that received it from Carlos Machado before going over to Gracie Barra. Though I believe the purple/browns teach the fundamentals classes there.

Since you're in LA (I think) I would imagine that the GB schools there are even better, but you'd know better I guess. One big issue, that's probably worse down there, is the huge number of affiliate gyms that seem to just be cash grabs.

In Orange County and surrounding areas you have flavin almedia, Phillipe Della monica, Kayron Gracie, otavio Souza (soon again), Ana loura codiero, romolo barral, Diego feria, rodrigo Augusto, rodrigo ferritas, charlita... Can't really go wrinf

In Orange County and surrounding areas you have flavin almedia, Phillipe Della monica, Kayron Gracie, otavio Souza (soon again), Ana loura codiero, romolo barral, Diego feria, rodrigo Augusto, rodrigo ferritas, charlita... Can't really go wrinf

Is Otavio going back to GB Irvine?

Either that or he is opening a school in Oc imho

Back