Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

What's the future of Trump's supporters and the Republican party?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by MeatheadMike, Nov 12, 2020.

1. MeatheadMike Brown Belt

My initial thoughts were that once Trump was out of office, republicans and people who supported him would quietly distance themselves from him... much like they did with Bush Jr and carry on as usual. Basically not outright acknowledge that he sucked, but simply no longer defend criticisms of him and even use him as a scapegoat if needed.

But unlike Bush's supporters, many of Trump's people have gone all in on Trump, seemingly past the point where they could quietly distance themselves from him. Like Sean Hannity for example

So does Trump continue to have influence on the republican party or does he just fade away to Mar-a-Lago or something? And what will become of his supporters and the rest of the republican party?

2. tonni 2019 Snitch of the Year

I'm guessing he'll keep trolling until he's dead/in jail and his supporters are way, way too dedicated to just go away by themselves. They literally pray to him, begging him to intervene in arrests and shit.

matheuss92, JDragon, HOLA and 14 others like this.
  3. Ophydian Red Belt

Bush Jr. stepped out of the light, Trump will never do that. Trump will make damn sure he's as relevant as possible as he wants to continue to cash in on his base. A fool and his money are easily parted.

The sycophants around Trump will continue to support him because without Trump they would never have been this close to senior WH positions. He gave C level political operatives access to roles they would never had been given access to under a normal administration.

4. Kandyland Brown Belt

I've always wondering if Trump will be the last Republican president. He was very blunt and charismatic and he got a lot of excitement from people. His 71 million votes still prove he has a following. But I can't see anyone else in the Republican party being that popular and bringing in new votes. I don't know, Republican party has a lot of work to do, though I assume Trump will try to run again in 4 years (I think that's possible).

Hadron90, Goonerview and Ophydian like this.
  5. Ophydian Red Belt

I thought Bush Jr. screwed Republicans for decades due to Iraq etc. I was wrong. I also thought Trump running in 2016 would destroy Republicans. I was wrong then too.

If Dems start running left of center candidates they will lose again.

6. PhitePhan Purple Belt

Trump supporters will continue to recognize the corrupt political landscape, and they will continue to flock to any candidate who taps into that (a la Sanders and Trump). Unfortunately, they will continue to be marginalized ("radical" "racist" etc.) and the system will most likely produce political/corporate lackeys and our march towards a dystopian future will proceed unabated.

7. Kandyland Brown Belt

Yeah you're probably right. I was only looking at it from the Republicans side and didn't think of the Dems side and how they could screw up and turn voters away.

8. SaltedVinegarfootstomps Yellow Belt

Republicans need to decide who they want to be going forward. Populism is going to be part of the political landscape now, but even so there will be a war within the party to determine its true identity. war bubbles within the Democratic Party as well, but for the moment that battle is less pressing. I expect trump to lose some followers the longer he throws this hissy fit. He’s a hero right now to his base, but will he hang around too long and see himself become the villain? Another thought, when he dies, does that base evaporate? His kids don’t have near the same pedigree to keep it growing, so where do they go? Even within right wing media there is discord, trump is pitching a hard pivot from Fox News to Newsmaxx, he’s taking on Murdoch now.....that’s not a battle I’d bet on trump for. He just does not have that sort of foresight or even capital to piss off the lord of right wing media. I would say he will retain his base, but like dead skin cells that invisibly fall from us, he too will start shedding. How much power he’s left with after all is said and done will definitely be something to watch

MusclesMarinara and Ophydian like this.
  9. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

It depends on the job Biden does, really. Trump will be there, but if Biden can manage to satisfy the majority of people with a more centrist approach, his popularity will fade. If not, and the Dems get too confident and stand implementing a bunch of hard left shit, you'll likely see Trump back in the White House in 2025, if he's still capable.

MusclesMarinara and SakurabasEar like this.
  10. HomeCheese Black Belt

I like to check in on FoxNews now and then and I have been interested with their coverage. In the first few days after the election they played down all the noise from Trump but lately they have changed their tune and are hyping the voter fraud more than before.

What change?

I think it was a survey of republicans that said the 70% or something like that thought their was fraud. So it seems like Fox jumped back on the fraud train.

Just my impressions for limited viewing.

11. mrsenor Black Belt

Such as?

12. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

Green New Deal for starters.

mrsenor likes this.
  13. SakurabasEar .Net OG

Both parties are split right now. I actually think the left has a larger choice to make here.

This far left or nothing matra didnt help them in the slightest this year. They lost house seats, they most likely will not get the senate majority and they nearly lost the presidency to a guy that should have been easily beatable at this point.

If they cant distance themselves from "defund the police" or the clear double standard thats being given to the BLM movement and other corrosive PC related bs then trump has a path to the white house in 2024.

14. MeatheadMike Brown Belt

I thought pretty much the same. The party is very unpredictable. But Republicans were successful in distancing themselves from Bush, not sure what's going to happen post Trump.

15. HydraCap3 #Trump Banned

Hopefully pulling an "Adjustment Day."

16. wonderbread Stiff Member

They will continue to go to Golden Corral and complain about the mean democrats...

17. Libero cane v2 Green Belt

I think this election proves that Republican Party, Trump aside, has decent future prospects. The Dems have been leaning too much on the theory that non-whites will overwhelmingly vote for the Democrats and since America is becoming less white by the year, concluded that this demographic shift is entirely in their favour. The Republicans were able to get quite solid percentages from the Latino population as a whole (level of support obviously varying from within different Latino groups, Cubans being around 65-35 for the Reps and Puerto Rican’s the inverse of this), and in particular with Latinos with higher education levels. They also did well in down-ballot elections in spite of a lot of Republicans hating Trump, which is a sign of strength.

I think they’ll definitely be pushed in a more progressive direction on some issues to maintain voter appeal though.

Handsome Bruce and Denter like this.
  18. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

It was easy to distance themselves from Bush, because the Iraq War blew up in their faces and he left with an approval rating in the 20's. Trump has no such issues, and he is the guy who pulled the party out of the rubble and remains extremely popular. It's not easy to distance from that. Especially since they really have no backup plan.

thehighking and IGIT like this.
  19. MeatheadMike Brown Belt

Since Democrats didn't win the senate, Biden will have no choice but to go with a centrist approach. But regardless of what he does I don't see him winning over any of Trump's supporters.

evansusmc2 likes this.
  20. Grenz Brown Belt

I think there’s a pessimistic view not to be discounted here: Trump will remain wildly popular with his base and he’s going to carry on like he has (holding rallies, social media, etc). That base represents a significant chunk of Republican voters, and as long as they remain more beholden to Trump than to the party, the RNC has no choice but to continue to let Trump be the face of the party and drive its agenda, at least on the surface. If they try to distance themselves from Trump now, they distance themselves from a large number of potential votes in future elections. And of course, if Trump declares his intention to run again in 2024, it leaves the RNC absolutely no choice but to defer to his de facto leadership, because as of right now, he still remains their most viable candidate.

bucky dent likes this.