Whats the difference between amino acid tablets and protein supplements

peanut butter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Whats the difference between amino acid tablets and protein supplements for trying to gain strength/size. is it the actual protein or the calories which help you. please can somebody shed a light on this as many of my friends are using amno acid tablets, stating 'its the same as protein but no calories, so i wont get fat'. any help would be appreciated, thanks

you need protein to build muscles.

You break down protein to get amino acids for your body.

peanut butter said:
Whats the difference between amino acid tablets and protein supplements for trying to gain strength/size. is it the actual protein or the calories which help you. please can somebody shed a light on this as many of my friends are using amno acid tablets, stating 'its the same as protein but no calories, so i wont get fat'. any help would be appreciated, thanks
Amino acids are the "building blocks" for the body. Besides building cells and repairing tissue,they form antibodies to combat invading bacteria and viruses.They are part of the enzyme and hormonal systems. they build nucleoproteins(RNA & DNA)they carry oxygen throughout the body and participate in muscle activity. When protein is broken down by digestion the result is 22 known amino acids. Eight are essential(cannot be manufactured by the body) the rest are non-essential(can be manufactured by the body with proper nutrition)
Amino Acid pills are the essential proteins that we can't make on our own. they are synthasized into pill form for easy digestion and quick absorbtion. But you still want to put the non-essential proteins in your body as well i.e. protein drinks and protein inriched foods.

are they recommendable as a only supplement or in partnerships with others

peanut butter said:
are they recommendable as a only supplement or in partnerships with others

They're not even recommended as a supplement (except a certain few in free-form, but those are usually for purposes other than strictly building muscle).

Protein is long chains of amino acids. Your friends are ignorant, you can't gain weight without calories: muscle or fat.

Get a whey protein from someone like Optimum Nutrition and buy some dextrose or maltodextrin straight up. Mix them in 1:1 to 1:3 ratio of protein:maltodextrin/dextrose. Take that postworkout.

Eat quality, healthy foods the rest of the day. If you want to gain weight, you have to eat more than you're using to sustain your current weight.

And stop listening to your friends; come back here instead.

Madmick said:
They're not even recommended as a supplement (except a certain few in free-form, but those are usually for purposes other than strictly building muscle).

Protein is long chains of amino acids. Your friends are ignorant, you can't gain weight without calories: muscle or fat.

Get a whey protein from someone like Optimum Nutrition and buy some dextrose or maltodextrin straight up. Mix them in 1:1 to 1:3 ratio of protein:maltodextrin/dextrose. Take that postworkout.

Eat quality, healthy foods the rest of the day. If you want to gain weight, you have to eat more than you're using to sustain your current weight.

And stop listening to your friends; come back here instead.

ok thanks. i knew that calories were a must for gaining weight but thanks for clearing that up. but what about strength, do these have any effect on recovery or anything help that helps to gain strength. im sorry if i sound so naive but im just really lacking in supplement information

Protein contains calories. Look at the lable of your protein pills, they will have around 4 calories per gram of protein. The main difference is money. People buy the pills because they don't like the shakes, or they think they are special or whatever. I would never take the pills, to much money. The same amino acids are in protein shakes. Protein is protein.

REMEMBER: Although protein is used in a lot (mentioned before) TAKING AMINO ACID SUPPLEMENTS WILL NOT INCREASE THOSE FUNCTIONS. Its not like by taking in amino acids and iron (compontents of hemoglobin, what carries oxygen) you will be able to hold your breath longer and prevent being choked out.

peanut butter said:
so amino acid tablets are a piece of shit then, right?

IMO, they are a waste of money. Some may prove useful for protecting against atrophy, but only if the amino profile is in correct proportions (often the ratios in these supplements don't resemble any found in natural foods), and even then, it's ridiculously expensive compared to other forms of protein.

Back