What's the deal with Griffon 1911s?

SamuraiRat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was looking up the Griffon 1911, and found mostly forums on this 1911. People really talked down about it yet it shoots really well. Because of the steel build alot of people knock it for being a Norinco clone.

I understand that Colt and Springfield purists may not like them but what y'alls take on them. Quality gun for the money ($560 with modifications for rapid fire shooting)? I really just want an unbias shooter's opinion.

By the way does anyone know where the Griffon is made?

I did a quick search and from what I read they were assembled in South Africa with Norinco parts. Apparently they were available for $349 at one time.

Could you elaborate what you mean by "with modifications for rapid fire shooting"?

For $560, I'd look at getting a Springfield Mil-Spec (new they're less than $560 around here) or a used Loaded A1 in good condition. That's just my opinion though. From the little reading I did it seems that some people really like the Griffons. Be sure to make sure that the sear has not been monkeyed around with if you're planning on buying a used 1911. I think Gregster has posted how to check that before.

Here's how I do it:

MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED.
Remove the magazine.
Hold the trigger down while pulling the slide back. Let the slide come forward. If the gun dry fires, you do not want it. It will double randomly while shooting it.

By rapid fire shooting, I mean it has a sweetened trigger, specialty sites, and a specialty hammer. My gunsmith got from some dude who modified it for those rapid fire competitions, but needed money. So now it sits at his store waiting for me.

I was really just curious about the brand itself (Griffon).

If you like it, buy it. That's my professional opinion.

Back