What's the best version of Alexander (2004)?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oliver Stone released 4 versions of the much maligned epic Alexander:

Theatrical (2004)
PZp46Zg.jpg

Director's Cut (2005)
qveyDgR.png

Revisited (2007)
k2EmcTY.jpg

Ultimate (2014)
07F21nb.jpg

Whichever version shows Rosario’s naked awesomeness the most.

Is any version of it good? I remember watching some of whichever version (on cable) and it seemed like a mess.

Stone hadn't had a real good one in a couple of decades, but I thought Snowden kind of broke the lackluster because that was actually a solid little movie. Not as good as his best stuff (Born on the Fourth of July, Wall Street, Nixon, etc.) but good.

Is any version of it good? I remember watching some of whichever version (on cable) and it seemed like a mess.

Stone hadn't had a real good one in a couple of decades, but I thought Snowden kind of broke the lackluster because that was actually a solid little movie. Not as good as his best stuff (Born on the Fourth of July, Wall Street, Nixon, etc.) but good.

W was great

W was great

You know what, I didn't like it when I saw it in theaters in '08 but I gave it a re-watch very recently and I absolutely undersold it. It's not one of my favorites of his canon, but it's obvious that there are good elements and it is quite entertaining.

Brolin really does an awesome job which I don't think I recognized first time around. Supporting cast was quality too. I think the most problematic thing for me is something that I found similar with Vice- it hits a wall somewhere in the third act and just became significantly less interesting. I make the connection too because Vice clearly owes some degree of debt to W. The way they handle the War on Terror/Iraq War stuff while not stylistically similar (Vice does more of the hyper-kinetic Adam Mckay Big Short style) is quite thematically and narratively similar. And that's not just because they are dealing with the same events in history.

Oliver Stone released 4 versions of the much maligned epic Alexander:

Theatrical (2004)
PZp46Zg.jpg

Director's Cut (2005)
qveyDgR.png

Revisited (2007)
k2EmcTY.jpg

Ultimate (2014)
07F21nb.jpg

I saw the original cut & the final cut but haven't seen the ultimate cut yet. So, I'll stick with the final cut as being my fav.

Whichever version gives MOAR of Rosario Dawson's tits.

Back