What's the best strategy for ADCC rules tournaments?

DFWGrappler

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What's the best strategy for ADCC Rules tourneys? My past two tourneys used the ADCC rules in the no-Gi brackets and I was unable to finish my opponents in the first half of the match and nearly gassed out by going for to many sub attempts in the first half. What's your game plan for this style of rules?

Rule 1. Cardio

I treat every comp as sub only, even if it's ibjjf. So I'm constantly fishing and looking for subs the whole match.

Get the take down and submit them.

...but I get what you're saying. If you go balls to the wall during the non scored section, the scored section is going to suck. However, it is usually more exhaustive to constantly defend than constantly attack, if all the attacks are worthwhile. Only way I would switch up my training for ADCC rules, would be to start everything from the feet and not allow myself or teammates to pull.

Only way I would switch up my training for ADCC rules, would be to start everything from the feet and not allow myself or teammates to pull.

Is the minus one added on to the scored portion from the time only portion in ADCC?

thats kind of retarded

Please explain as to why that's "kind of retarded".

Try a jumping guillotine (think Glover/BTG) and if you miss it fuck it, commit and use it to pull guard. Of course, this is if you are a guard puller and do not intend on being penalised for the guard pull. I think this is only for the finals though, although I always just imagined every ADCC match was like that so I shitty-guillotine-to-guard to make sure I was not penalised. YMMV. If you are not a guard puller I do not know what to tell you. - E

I think the minus one is during everything, because that's how Glover lost - 2 to 0, but that was a trials so the scored portion might be different

Last edited:
My last tourney I decided to go for takedowns right away and we were scrambling and ended up with 3-4 takedowns in the first half but by the time the second half came around and points started I was exhausted and couldn't finish and lost by a last second sweep due to exhaustion.. the jumping guillotine idea sounds good!

heel hooks. everyone was going for heel hooks. that's pretty much all i went for.

If you are training for a sub-only competition, you aren't thinking about points which could cost you the match.

Boo hoo? I lose a match because I'm training to submit someone versus sweep/pass/disengage/rinse and repeat. I'm very much of the mindset of I'd rather lose going for a submission than win by a point holding position. I'm playing this game my way.

Boo hoo? I lose a match because I'm training to submit someone versus sweep/pass/disengage/rinse and repeat. I'm very much of the mindset of I'd rather lose going for a submission than win by a point holding position. I'm playing this game my way.

Ok. Have fun losing matches instead of possibly getting a gold medal.

I understand his point, although he presented it in a terrible way.

I'm a position player and although I often win on points, I do fight for the submission.

His point is, and I agree, that going for the submission and losing by points is still losing.

Been there, done that, and with my strategy. Anymore assumptions?

You're arguing with an individual who advocated throwing heel-hooks at ones instructor as a viable game-plan to someone who had just completed their second class of BJJ.

The danger of arguing with a fool is that onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. Most people here can, and did in this situation: but for future reference, responding to Grapplingwizard is best left to "for teh lulz only" mental efforts.

I understand his point, although he presented it in a terrible way.

I'm a position player and although I often win on points, I do fight for the submission.

His point is, and I agree, that going for the submission and losing by points is still losing.

Commissar is an f12 God.

Back