Whats the best path for novices

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by LozanoJ1985**, Aug 15, 2010.

1. DeFranco's West Side or 5x5

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Starting strength

3. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

/thread

4. glennpendlay

glennpendlay Yellow Belt

I posted a very reasonable strength and conditioning for MMA program that is now in the stickies. I would hope that it is worth a look.

5. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Wait, what? I am drunk, but I don't see anything in the stickies.

To TS, if you're a complete novice, starting strength is great, especially if you get the book/DVDs to help perfect your form.

6. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Glenn posted it in another thread, and Miaou posted it in the FAQ thread for posterity. I.e. it's not in the first post, but near the end of all the post in the FAQ thread.
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/strength-power-faq-read-436935/index19.html

The benefit with starting strength is it's set-up to take advantage of newb gains, give lots of practice with key lifts, and there's a wealth of information on how to follow it correctly. But it's by no means the only way to go, and it's not as if it doesn't have weaknesses as well as strengths (as do all routines).

7. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Ah, that does look like a solid program with the normal barbell lifts with some GPP (not exactly, but you know what I mean :)) added onto it that someone lifting for MMA might be interested in. Thanks for linking that, I wouldn't have found it otherwise.