What's next for flyweight divison?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
This all assumes Figgy stays at 125, talk of Figgy to 135 (which I think he should do) can be a different thread.

An interesting thing pops up when you look at the UFC rankings. I hate immediate rematches for champs unless a draw like controversy, or someone with 5+ title defenses. Askar Askarov should fight Moreno next for the belt. 3-0-1 in UFC with wins of Joey B, Pantoja, and a draw in 2019 to Moreno. Easy decision there.

So then the smartest thing to me would be, Figgy fights someone else with the winner, whether Figgy or the other guy, getting the title shot after Moreno or Askarov.

But on the rankings, you gotta dive deep before you find a guy who doesn't already have a recent loss to either Figgy or Moreno.

#1 Figgy needs a dance partner
#2 Askar gets next title shot
#3 Pantoja lost to Figgy 2019
#4 Perez lost to Figgy in 2020
#5 Joey B lost to Figgy twice in 2020
#6 Royval lost to Moreno in 2020
#7 Kai Kara France lost to Moreno in 2020
#8 Rogerio Bronton hasn't lost to either guy, but has lost 2 of his last 3
#9 Matt Schnell, also lost two of his last 3
#10 Tim Elliot Lost to Figgy in 2019

So what do you do with 125 pound Figgy? Ideally, he'd be paired up with someone he hasn't already beat so that he can slide back up for a 3rd fight with Moreno, and someone Moreno hasn't also beat recently so that if they win it's an easy title fight to sell. But that matchup really doesn't exist.

I think 125 may finally be growing on fans, as the top 10 gets more and more fleshed out, the division seems alive in a way it never did when DJ was so far ahead of the pack that he started inventing 2 part finishers out of boredom lol

The guy was almost too good for his own good, now everyone seems capable of beating each other

Moreno has some damn good boxing and insane transitions. His ceiling is super high not sure if he gets beaten soon.

Cejudo wants back in. Unfortunately, he probably beats my favorite current champ, Moreno.

*kicks rocks*

Cejudo wants back in. Unfortunately, he probably beats my favorite current champ, Moreno.

*kicks rocks*

Nobody likes Cejudo

Seems everybody loves Moreno

UFC gonna lowball the shit out of Cejudo to keep him on the shelf unless some other unlikable/unmarketable guy beats Moreno

Moreno vs. Askarov rematch next

David Dvorak vs. Tim Elliott for title shot after.

Elliott is fighting Sumudaerji next. Winner of that fight is in the mix.

But you're right, Dvorak is getting slept on.
Oh well Elliott vs. Sumudaerji works just fine as a title eliminator too. That’s actually a really good fight.

Dvorak can fight Kara-France next.

Last edited:
Just wait until Su Mudaerji gets his chance. That is all.

I’m a big UFC fan and watch every fight. But I honestly don’t recognize most of these fighters.

I’m a big UFC fan and watch every fight. But I honestly don’t recognize most of these fighters.
Sumudaerji's breakout performance was against Malcom Gordon. At 44 seconds you can easily enjoy it.

Askarov vs Perez is booked.
You're right, just a few hours ago.

On one hand I don't think it's great matchmaking, but on the other hand I know that Moreno is going on a break, so this gives Askraov a chance to make a statement win and build that title fight up.

It's a good time for Henry Cejudo to come back and challenge Moreno in an all Mexican championship fight. If you had this fight in Texas or Arizona area, it would be huge.

New talent would be appreciated. It’s just unlucky that 3 divisions above it are super fucking stacked and the ones below it are women’s MMA.

Back