Whats next for Canelo

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by clackers, Sep 22, 2013.

1. clackers

clackers Purple Belt

Hi guys who do you think Canelo should fight next ,

I think Cotto then he should Fight Chavez or GGG ,

I mean who is out there for Canelo.

Getting beat pretty easily by Floyd kind of says to me Golden Boy did rush him a bit but then again its all about the $$$ and Canelo got a massive payday .

Floyd got one of his easiest paydays ,

Hatton gave Floyd a tougher fight until he got knocked out .

Cotto had a better strategy than Canelo .

Its all about experience as well at that level .

2. Spirit Breaker

Spirit Breaker Purple Belt

A Chavez Jr. fight is unlikely because he is about to make a run two weight classes up from Jr. MW. I'd be in favor of a GGG fight or Trout rematch, but Alvarez probably needs a few soft opponents to get his legs back under him. Why not? He just made a mint.

A lot of people are speculating how this loss will affect him, but it wasn't a Calzaghe vs. Lacy type ass beating so I think he'll recover

3. Marciano1

Marciano1 Brown Belt

Carlos Molina

4. BluntTrauma21

BluntTrauma21 Broner Brody / Pulev Posse

I think we see the Cotto fight. That's what most people wanted before Trout ruined it for them so I'm assuming as long as Cotto doesn't have anything scheduled, or wins whatever is scheduled, then that fight wil take place. Two big name guys in a fight that's been anticipated for awhile now by a lot of people seems like the move to make imo.

edit: just looked it up, Cotto's fighting Delvin so if he wins that then I think the fight will happen. Delvin is no pushover but I think Cotto should take this w/o too much trouble.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. s karlyle

s karlyle الجسر

Idk? I think cinimon should take his time... Enjoy his money and be smart about his career from hear on out.

6. Da City of God

Da City of God Blue Belt

Hopefully Cotto if all goes well.

7. consortium11

consortium11 Slip The Jab

The bout people have been talking about is Molina/Alvarez as a way for Alvarez to get a world title back.

In some ways it makes sense as Molina is a pretty limited opponent but the danger there is it's high risk/low reward; beating Carlos Molina isn't going to impress anyone but Molina is an awkward spoiler who earns his money through making opponents look bad. Even if Canelo wins he's unlikely to look good... and even if he does look good at the end of the day it was only Carlos Molina.

The WBO title is currently vacant and there's some relatively soft opposition fairly highly ranked; I assume Canelo's popularity and Golden Boy's money could make a bout for that belt happen.

Longer term I assume the winner of Cotto/Delvin Rodriguez is the next target (especially if Cotto wins), before a likely move up to 160lbs.

8. Sebbe

Sebbe is a nice guy

I would say Trout. It was an even fight the last time and Canelo should want a more decisive win

9. HHJ

HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

i dont see a rematch with trout selling

10. USMCGixxer6

USMCGixxer6 Brown Belt

either do I, the hardcore fans would like it, but nobody else. I also agree with Molina being a high risk/low reward type of guy. I think we will see a tune up vs somebody who he should look great against, and then maybe a Cotto fight

11. Spirit Breaker

I agree with you. The Molina fight doesn't have much upside besides a belt being attached to it, but that is kind of negated because Alvarez as a big a name as he has been or ever will be right now.

I think a Trout rematch could sell, the promoters would just have to do a good job of selling a "settling the score" aspect even though I don't think the first fight was as close as some remember it.

Cotto would be a good "name" fight too, but I still think it would be smart to get Alvarez at least one easy, low key win under his belt to get his focus back. But since when do the boxing powers that be do smart things for fighters? :rolleyes:

12. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

YEah, its definitely going to be Carlos Molina. They're saying Cotto but they are going to hand Canelo another belt by fighting Molina.

I wonder if they'll try to make it a PPV.

13. HHJ

the molina fight makes the most sense out of the three.

14. Sebbe

Sebbe is a nice guy

Does every fight have to be a blockbuster on PPV? I sure don't see it that way.
    And I mean, a fight with Molina? A fight with a dead Cotto? Nah, then give me Trout

15. HHJ

cotto is not dead,he is alive!

i just think to get his morale back their gonna put canelo in with someone hes most likely going to destroy,and i dont think it really does much for him to beat someone he allready beat,back when the possibilities were endless for him and he was undefeated.

16. Gotosleepho

Gotosleepho Purple Belt

I've noticed that once Floyd beats a fighter their career tends to go a little south. Mosley I kind of expected because he was older anyways. Then again Marquez seems to be an exception. Hopefully Canelo can learn from his loss.

17. Sebbe

Sebbe is a nice guy

I understand that GB wont put Canelo up against Trout since it's a fight he very well might lose. Would I like to see it anyway? Hell yes. Out of all the fights that seem possible right now, that's the one I want to see the most.

18. Spirit Breaker

Corrales, JLC, Hatton, JMM, Gatti all went on to get significant fights after Mayweather whooped 'em.

Hatton and Gatti didn't have much after their fights with Mayweather, but their careers were coming to a clase as is.