Whats harder?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by winman, Sep 24, 2010.

1. winman

winman White Belt

Being a white belt and fighting a blue or being a blue belt and fighting a purple

When I was white belt I did alright versus blues

Now that I am a blue I am getting beat worse by the purples than I did by blues when I was a white belt

Now that im a blue there is no more playing around with me

Do you find it that way

Frustrating all over again

2. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

I'm colorblind. I play my game. Theirs can suck it.

3. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

that was another dumb response by me. apparently not so helpful today....

4. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

There's no 100% answer... There's a huge difference in the level of skill between both whites, blues, and purples. I think the skill gap becomes greater the higher up the belt system you go but there is no definitive answer.

As a white belt I tapped some blues and got my ass kicked by others.

As a blue belt I've been tapped by whites, tapped by blues, and tapped by purples - I've also tapped all three levels as well.

I know this isn't really answering your question, but roll with everybody. If the guy sucks pick a move and work on it. If the guy's a beast, work on not getting tapped. If you guys are close in skill, have a fun competitive roll. All training partners provide some kind of value.

5. Knuckles69

Knuckles69 Purple Belt

Just like styles make fights sometimes styles make for tough match-ups.

I have tapped out blues, purples and every so often brown belts but there is one person that just got their blue belt that gives me problems. It's weird, but it's also a learning opportunity.

6. winman

winman White Belt

i understand but it is frustrating to me

i feel like i keep on getting pounded and my game is worse

7. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

hang in there, it's all part of the process. There is no definitive answer, as skill levels vary greatly from person to person. Just work on you own game.. if a certain purple is kicking your ass consistently, ask him during the roll what exactly he is doing, and how you should be defending. I imagine your teammates would be more than willing to help you.

8. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

no, actually that was right on the money.

"colorblind".... lol... definitely. TS that should be your new sig.

9. Jaxx

Jaxx Green Belt

Train Sambo and stop fretting.

10. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Perhaps Purple belts are taking you more seriously than Blue belts did when you were a White belt.

11. kinkykid

kinkykid White Belt

There is certainly a large amount of skill disparity from individual to individual at the same belt level. But I think if you reflected more, you may realize that the blue belts weren't trying as hard with you when you were a white belt. While the purples see you as someone they can have a spirited roll with.

12. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

I find that there a lot of really shitty blue belts that still basically suck at bjj. At my academy a blue belt means you aren't a total spaz. It usually takes about 8 months of casual training. My instructor just doesn't value the blue very much, and there are a lot of guys out there with the same philosophy (I happen to agree, but that is another discussion). There is a big skill gap between purples too, but you rarely find a purple that just flat out sucks. In fact, I have never actually seen a purple get tapped out or even positionally dominated by a white belt.

So IMO, a new blue should have a harder time with purples than a white should have with a blue. Just because you can still find some blues that are really still total beginners. I have competed at blue a lot, and some guys are really good, and some guys are total cakewalks. I don't see a lot of total cakewalks at purple- you might see some beatdowns, but most purples at least know how to respond to most situations.

I know this response is way to responsive to your question... apparently actually responding to questions is frowned upon at SD.

13. Ninja This

Ninja This Purple Belt

Dude, that response was great.

14. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

The only taps that matter are the ones handed out in competition- so don't get discouraged about what is happening at practice.

The people that I see constantly having to beat up on lower level guys are tripping on their Egos and slowing down potential development of their game. At practice, higher level guys should be working their weak spots against lower level guys. This leaves the higher level player at risk to be tapped by the lower level guy and possibly have the end result of the lower level guy thinking he actually took the higher level guy out. If that lower level guy is a total chode, he will probably post on Sherdog about having tapped whatever higher belt while not even realizing that the higher level guy was probably trying to work with him.

15. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

Getting out classed by purples as a blue is more frustrating now for me because I always feel like that pass, sweep, or sub is so close then it gets turned around on me. HAHA, I hate my life. I think it's frustrating because now you know what you did wrong 9/10 right after you get passed, swept, mounted, or whatever. Plus let's face it if you're a white belt there isn't a huge experience gap between you and a new blue. What maybe 6 months to a year. As a new blue there is probably 2-4 years sometimes more in between you and a purple. Just my 2 cents.

16. Coolcatsithe

Coolcatsithe White Belt

It feels proportional to me... you really gotta watch your stuff against purples, they make a lot less mistakes than a blue does against a white belt.

Truthfully though, you should just listen to Auspex. He hit that right on the money, you should not be thinking about the belt color during a roll at all, that shit just holds up the pants after all.

17. TrevorRoss

TrevorRoss Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

For the win!

18. Thaiboxer10000

Thaiboxer10000 Purple Belt

my hardest time period was mid blue, it must have been over a year where i was getting beat by everybody due to being heavy in the accumulation phase & not having a developed game.

19. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Depends on the guy youre rolling with.

Certain Blue belts, i can tool all day long. Others, i cant submit for the life of me...

Some Purple Belts, i can sweep, and submit at times, others, i cannot pass guard.

It just depends.