What's going on with Metamoris: crooks or mismanagement or misunderstanding

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Strange Shadows, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Strange Shadows

Strange Shadows Banned Double Yellow Card

i guess it's mostly speculation, but what do you guys think? i really don't know/really asking

2. nefti

nefti Red Belt

that's what happens when you give a company to a guy who rolled on the mat all his life and has no education.

3. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

Incompetence is the most preferable of several shitty options

4. shadowskip

shadowskip Yellow Belt

From what I have gathered, mismanagement. Definitely not malice, they gain nothing from it.

5. Pontigoose

Pontigoose Blue Belt

All I know is, them screwing people over, and the whole 'exclusivity' thing has been really good for Eddie Bravos grappling league.

6. spiderguardman

spiderguardman Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Its in the Gracie dna to be a scumbag, they cant really help it.

7. PayPerView

PayPerView Orange Belt

Looks like JT Torres is out and has been replaced by AJ Agazarm in the event tomorrow.

Is there a way to watch the event without giving your credit card info?

8. yetanother

yetanother Black Belt

Incompetence most likely.
    Their payment handling is likely done incorrectly.

9. Newbie668

Newbie668 Yellow Belt

Mismanagement. PPV events and their billing methods are common. The overcharging shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully they can resolved their issues. I agree, it does favour EBI.

10. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

It goes beyond mismanagement. I can't really believe it's malicious, because if it is it's like the worst plan ever.

For me, I purchased the last PPV on May 9. Just the PPV. But, they charged me twice - once for the PPV and then once for the subscription. After a bunch of emails (during which they ignored what I wrote and said "Don't worry, your subscription won't auto-renew" even after explicitly telling them I never subscribed) they refunded my PPV fee and not the subscription fee.

Then, despite what they said, they charged me again for the subscription.

You have to be REALLY dumb to do that and screw up so badly. Seriously, I can't even imagine what teenager they have running the system to be able to mess up so seriously. (And btw there are dozens of people here and on reddit complaining of very similar things).

All that being said, it would be even dumber to think this would be a good scam. Even if like 100 people didn't catch the error and get their money back, that would only be $2500. And the negative publicity has cost them way, way more than that already from all the people that are pissed.

I think they're just dumb and don't understand business enough to care about their customers. I mean I don't think any of them are college educated, and they have been raised with a superiority complex already. That leads to situations like this.

11. WayneArbeau

WayneArbeau White Belt

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at first, but they've done things "incorrectly" to too many people without fixing whatever rinky-dink system they use.

probably started out as incompetence, but then turned into indifference when they realized not paying fighters + ripping off customers was a good business plan.

does anybody know if Robert Zeps is still involved? he's an actual business man, I can't imagine how he'd be okay with this shit. Ralek, I can understand.

12. WayneArbeau

WayneArbeau White Belt

I'm legit curious what percentage of customers noticed the bogus charges? what percent followed up on it?

they responded to Ben Askren on twitter saying there were "some issues," but here, twitter, reddit, the underground, wherever, there are a TON of people this has happened to. (and it's kinda bullshit that they didn't respond to the countless other people that tweeted at them before Askren; only cared when it was a famous guy.)

gotta wonder how many ppl who haven't bothered commenting on one of the 3 online forums i look at have had problems?

gotta wonder how many ppl who don't check their credit card statements regularly haven't even noticed?

13. anaconda

I was thinking about this too.

They never reply to my emails unless I threaten to call my bank and do a chargeback. Then they reply within an hour or so.

14. Strange Shadows

i don't know anything about running a business, so help me understand some things.

1.) would they already have the grapplers money before booking them or would the promoter rely on money generated from the event? because i imagine it's the later if they gave lauzon a half-up-front deal, right?

2.) why put on another event?

15. kpoz12

kpoz12 The No Life King Platinum Member

Guys, they gotta pay the athletes somehow, jeez.

inb4 SBJ posts some dumb propagand...I mean, interesting article on the issue.

16. Strange Shadows

auction off gracie memorabilia

17. WayneArbeau

WayneArbeau White Belt

they should have the money before the event. but this was the show where there was no paid audience, therefore no advance $$$. any revenue from this event was via their ippv/subscription deal, so they no doubt had less money at their disposal. still, yes, they should've had money on hand to pay people.

also, to clarify, they didn't pay Lauzon upfront. he got the partial payment several weeks after the event, after contacting them a bunch of times.

$$$$$$$

AFAIK this one's gonna be another one in their secret venue (it's Studio 540, isn't it? or is it the Blackhouse MMA gym?), so they pay $0 for that and get 100% of ppv revenue.

I think the bigger questions would be, why compete on this event? why buy this event?

18. WayneArbeau

WayneArbeau White Belt

autographed "G In A Gi" CD-Rs?

19. anaconda

I can't wait until they fold.

20. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

I'd be willing to bet that they planned on paying competitors with the money generated from the show, but fell short. So in order to cover their asses, they double charged customers and are putting on another show just to recoup their losses.