What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
missed it but still some nice matches. Landeroz vs Laboy really slugged it out at the end ;)

Some of the little children have pretty good skill. Really impressive. Just saw part of Rios vs. Ryan Williams. WOW. At that age.

Last edited:
Tough fight! Interesting how your guy kept switching between southpaw and ortho, is he ambidextrous? Looked pretty good in the first half of the third when he started to move around the ring, take angles and counter. It was unfortunate that he got caught.

Btw, was it just me or was the ref really annoying? Kept interjecting himself constantly, even when it wasn't warrented, and that first 10 count was a bit hasty wouldn't you say?

Yeah, that ref was terrible. The first 8-count he gave was bullshit.

I'm very proud of Matt, he's only 17 and only been with me since November or so. But wanted to compete in this tournament and did all the training for it the other guys did. He fought his heart out but the main two things that stood out were that he still burns himself out with nervous tension, and he's in the wrong division. He needs to be a weight lower.

He fought Amado Vargas. Fernando Vargas' Son, yes THAT Fernando Vargas. Amado is #9 or 8 in the U.S. in that division and Matt proved he could hang with him. So at 114 he'll be even better.

It's 6:30 here now, and my first fighter for the evening session is bout 15 in ring 2 or 3, John Garmendia. Then Joseph will fight, then another kid I have Jason An, and then one of my middleweight Za-Quan.

My fighters went 2-2 tonight, and Alex Thiel from our Gym won. Joseph won fairly handily, and my other new young gun John (Jack) Garmendia won. He has 14 fights but until today had never won a fight outside of his home State of Oregon. Now he's not only done that, but he did it in the Western Qualifier, which is big. Za-Quan I thought got hosed. I felt we won the first and third rounds, but the other kid got it split. And my Colorado kid Jason An lost a nail-biter. He only had 2 weeks to train for this tournament and looked very sharp for that, just gassed out at the end of the 2nd and 3rd rounds after controlling the whole first halves.

The names you're looking for tomorrow are Cesar Cardona for the Noon show. Then evening will be Joseph and Jack again, Michael Kim, Jonathan Bailon, and Alex Thiel again.

@Sinister

If you know the bout & ring nr of your fighters today please post them. Otherwise its a little tricky to find them in yt stream as it has close to 12hrs at the moment.

EDIT:
Joseph bout 18 ring 2
Jason An bout 20 ring 2
Alex Thiel bout 14 ring 3
Garmendia: bout 15 ring 3

Last edited:
Those were yesterday. Bout sheets might be up now but I find them out same as you could, on that page.

For the Noon session, Cesar Cardona is bout 2, ring 2. Evening I haven't seen yet

Those were yesterday. Bout sheets might be up now but I find them out same as you could, on that page.

For the Noon session, Cesar Cardona is bout 2, ring 2. Evening I haven't seen yet

I know we are 8h in front of your timezone so I can only watch the fights afterwards by scanning through the stream. I will just look and find some thx.

My kid Cesar got hosed. Not sure how it looked on a screen but he out fought that other kid and controlled each round save for moments in the 2nd and 3rd. But it was his first National Tournament and with only 15 fights he's been competing against kids with more than double his experience.

Tonight Cyclone Mike is bout 5 in ring 3, Joseph is bout 6 in ring 2. Jonny Loco is bout 15 in ring 3, and Jack is bout 22.

Three stoppage losses tonight. No excuses, just gotta keep at it. Cyclone Mike was in a firecracker fight where his opponent Joey Borrero (nephew of Felix Trinidad) told me after "man your guy hit so hard, I knew right away it was him or me, if he hit me a couple more times like that it would have been me." Jonny Loco was actually doing very well until the guy caught him just out of position and got a KD, then he let the guy build steam off it and he got pinned in a corner, the ref stopped it. Jack got hit with a massive liver shot and tried to fight on, but the dude swarmed him.

I'm proud of these guys. I think we were one of the least experienced teams there. Joey Borrero has over 40 fights, Mike has 12 now. Jonny has 16 now, his opponent has a couple tournament titles. Jack's opponent has a shitload of fights and Jack is still 18. Technically not even "elite" but because of when his birthday is he had to register as elite and with 14 fights.

The good news is Joseph won again. He's in quarter-finals tomorrow. And two high-ranking fighters are already eliminated, so he'll be higher than 9 no matter what. My LHW Karam has a very tough fight tomorrow against last year's Eastern Qualifier winner. And I have a girl who is in the female youth final tomorrow. Alex Thiel is in quarter finals by walkover, his opponent missed weight.

Started the computer quickly before work and Macedo vs. Cruz was going .
Impressive demonstration of his skills and how to control a fight from the backfoot. I think that was the best display of boxing skill I saw in this tournament.

Joseph is also fairly inexperienced considering he's been fighting guys with 60-100+ fights and he's barely coming up on 35. But we put in hard work in the gym and he's been doing this big tournaments for the past year and a half or so.

Today I have Desiree Ramirez in Ring 1, bout 1. Then Karam Abdallah, ring 3 bout 20. Sucks being the absolute LAST bout. We have to stay there a long ass time for no reason.

Joseph lost what I felt was a very close decision, but they gave it to the other kid by UD. In fact many people I spoke with said they felt he edged out the first and third. This is similar to what happened in last year's Elite Championship when he lost an SD to the #4 ranked guy in the U.S.

Great experience, though. And his rank is likely to improve.

Don't know how we're gonna top this next month:

I was thinking that guy vs. Charlie Zelenoff

Ha. This guy is still around? I would have thought that by now, someone may have put him back in his place, in a non very pleasant manner...

what on earth is wrong with the daft cunt in the pink? can't handle a hard sparring session without losing his head and trying to make it a street fight im surprised he got out of there without taking a kicking. On a more positive note always great to hear about your guys at tournaments especially as they regulalry seem to hold their own with much more experienced opponents - a credit to your coaching.

This is why you don’t wear lace up gloves if you’re going to act a fool. Gotta be able to rip those suckers off like a hockey fight.

Dude in red has a decent power double bud lost position quick. Bad balance. Trainer in black needs to mind his posture better and look to keep the knees behind the hips of his opponent to avoid those up kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back