Whats considered Small mans game?

Armhunter87

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just curious. I am 5'10 about 188 pounds right now. I'm a fairly strong guy and fairly lean. I tend to play more of a big mans Jiu-Jitsu game if you will. I tend to work a more upright Judo game and smash from the top. I know a Judo type game tends to not favor the smaller guys.

Would i be considered for more of a small mans game? I'm assuming that means working more from the bottom, de la Riva, single legs etc...

At what point (sizewise) should one focus on working a big mans game?

Hope that makes sense :icon_chee

Obviously this is just stereotyping and there are many counter examples but here goes:

Small, short guy: Wrestling based stand-up due to lower center of gravity, easy to get underneath the opponent for doubles and singles. Passing based on speed and agility. Loose, flowing top control. Fast submissions and combinations, usually based on the back. A more open, free guard, a lot of fancy techniques from guard, inversions, et cetera. Has a lot of submissions, sweeps and tricks in their bag to constantly keep their opponent guessing.

Big, tall guy: Judo based stand-up as long legs are advantageous for footsweeps and leggy throws. Pressure passing and smash passing are a big part of the passing game. Dominating, crushing top control. Slowly and methodically working for submissions while advancing position. Probably prefers the mount to the back as an attacking position due to the greater ability to use pressure and weight (f.ex. a smothering High Mount or S-Mount). Plays a tight guard game where a faster more agile opponent can't just run around them, probably likes Closed Guard, Butterfly, 1-LegX. Has a few submissions that are their go-to and works relentlessly for them.

Small guys dont play takedowns. 90% of your smaller matches, someone will pull guard.

Small people game tends to be lots of arm drags and spinning maneuvers. They also like to go for the back vs smashing techniques.

Small people game tends to be lots of arm drags and spinning maneuvers. They also like to go for the back vs smashing techniques.

I don't think arm drags are a small man move, and I don't think you see them all that much in gi BJJ matches anyway. It's a standard technique but it's not like everyone's doing it.

Small guys dont play takedowns. 90% of your smaller matches, someone will pull guard.

^ this, which i hate since i transitioned from wrestling/judo. Most guys wont stand up with me longer than 10 seconds, and anyone watching me prior wont stand at all for my next match.

I wouldnt say Marcelo is a small guy... 180 is not small.

You're my size roughly. Where I first started training, I was the small guy by at least 40 pounds- so I worked "small mans game". Only S mount from the top, taking the back, bow and arrow.

On the bottom, I worked lots of lasso, deep half guard, arm drags.

In the gym where I am at now, I guess I would be one of the bigger guys. I work more from side control and mount, more arm bars / triangles from guard.

I'm glad I've trained both. Still have a ton of room to improve at all of it, but I just view myself as the size that can play either game based on my opponent.

Big, tall guy: Judo based stand-up as long legs are advantageous for footsweeps and leggy throws. Pressure passing and smash passing are a big part of the passing game. Dominating, crushing top control. Slowly and methodically working for submissions while advancing position. Probably prefers the mount to the back as an attacking position due to the greater ability to use pressure and weight (f.ex. a smothering High Mount or S-Mount). Plays a tight guard game where a faster more agile opponent can't just run around them, probably likes Closed Guard, Butterfly, 1-LegX. Has a few submissions that are their go-to and works relentlessly for them.

^^ This is almost exactly my game. I find, like Holt said, smaller guys rarely go for takedowns - they'd rather pull guard. In the bigger divisions takedowns play a larger role since having top position is usually more advantageous at the higher weight classes. I would add that I think wrestling based takedowns are just as important for big/tall guys, but you're playing more of a greco game and shooting less. Also, I think spider guard and its variations are excellent for long legged guys.

From my experience both rolling with smaller guys and competing in absolute divisions, the game between bigger vs. smaller guys boils down to one of immobilization vs. constant movement.

I compete at pluma/pena. I spent 21 years practicing takedowns and I pull guard almost 100% of the time. Why? Because the rules reward it, and are so backwards it basically penalizes the guy on top.

Back