What's better: Training BJJ 6x week or 4x?

6x a week is ALWAYS better, that is if you compete. If you just do it for the love, 4x a week is acceptable, but I assume if you love it you compete.

Just don't let the g/f distract you too much. Now it's 4x a week, make sure it doesn't become 2x a week, or 3x every other week.

I'm building from 2 to 3-4/week. It more had to do with the schools schedule.
I read in an Eddie Bravo interview that 4x/week is enough; you don't need more than that.

I've heard Rickson say the same thing about not overtraining. You don't need to train every day. 4x a week for a serious bjj student is enough.

When I was younger and active in TKD, I used to train 6 days a week. It came to a point that my technique plateaued since you end up going through the motions. 2 years later, I cut my training down to 3x/wk and I was able to recover better and absorb techniques more. Always remember quality over quantity

This week my girlfriend is away on a business trip. So After I finish work around 5PM, I go straight to the bjj academy and do both evening classes. The one at 6PM and the one at 9PM.

At the end I'm dead tired but I feel great and during the second class I train much more lightly. Wether I can maintain this until Saturday, I gotta see...

Its jiu jitsu man... if you understand it, you shouldn't be too tired after you train.. I don't get tired from jiu jitsu... its kinda like walking, it shouldn't tire you too much and you could do it everyday.. In fact, I go to the gym in the morning... If I need rest, I just work on technique, no strength, no power..

i go 3-4 times a week usually i can't go any more because i just get worn out, and i think rolling at the level i'm at now (blue belt) is definitely more straining then it is on higher levels.

ZeMino said:
Its jiu jitsu man... if you understand it, you shouldn't be too tired after you train.. I don't get tired from jiu jitsu... its kinda like walking, it shouldn't tire you too much and you could do it everyday.. In fact, I go to the gym in the morning... If I need rest, I just work on technique, no strength, no power..

LOL @ grappling is as strenuous as walking.

In any case, thanks for the opinion. And have yourself another hallucinogen.

johil d'o said:
LOL @ grappling is as strenuous as walking.

In any case, thanks for the opinion. And have yourself another hallucinogen.
Maybe he participates in the kiddies class.

Back