What's better: Training BJJ 6x week or 4x?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by mogway, Sep 23, 2005.

1. mogway

mogway Blue Belt

I'm at a point in my life where I don't have time to train as frequently as before: Girlfriend, social life etc... I used to train 5-6 x a week but have to cut it down to 4x week.

One thing i noticed is that I am Physically fresher when training 4x a week. I do pushups sit ups + cardio on elliptical machine at home on off days..

Do you guys think that I will improve just as fast if I drop two classes a week?

2. blanko

blanko Guest

well i think that you should look at how you trained before. If i just focus on technique AND my parnters are focusing on technique then you should improve more the more you train. It depends you you and your training partners.

3. Why do you train? Is it for fun or are you trying to make it into a carreer? These are very different regiments.

4. mogway

mogway Blue Belt

No I train for fun and because I love it. Been training for almost 5 years now.

5. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

whoa 5 years of training and your asking us?

you should know this

going 6x a week vs 4x is always going to be better.

Your learning better when your body is weak and your mind is sharp.. you arnt using strength and you work the technique to its potential.
    But by no means is 4x bad there are alot of guys who go 1 or 2 times a week. i used to go 6 times aslo and now having to cut it down to 4.. Ive noticed my progression is still steady but not as fast paced as the 6x.. and i too do not feel as tired.. feel much more aggressive and rdy to take on anyone.

6. hfam95**

hfam95** White Belt

I think it depends on the person, but genereally a 4x week will learn faster than 6. here is the science behind it. If you go so much to the point you dont have time to soak in the techniques then you are wasting it.

People become strong in BJJ not because the frequency they train, but the quality they put into training. I went to a seminar and this kid got his blue belt after 6 months of training. He basically train 7 days a week for about 4 hrs a day. Yet he always went for submissions. He didnt know how to control the position or hold it. His defense was mediocre at best, but he had the minimum hours to become a blue belt.

So my point is quality above quantity. I know who train 2 x week and they mop the floor with guys that are there 4-5 x week. Again it is also dependent on the person. If you can soak it all up without asking "what did we do again?" then yes 6 will be better than 4.

7. mogway

mogway Blue Belt

Good answer. That's also what I thought.

8. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    Train smarter, not harder. Unless you are preparing for a competition you really shouldn't do more than 3-4 days a week otherwise you are not going to be allowing your body enough time to recuperate and you'll become injury prone. You'll get more out of the classes if you go to them with a notebook, write down the techniques and note what you feel you could improve in your game after sparring.

9. Big Red

Big Red Green Belt

6 days a week may burn u out. spend time with ur friends & gf, ur already a blue right? I'm sure ur at a place where u can put BJJ to one side for a time.

10. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

you're in it for the love of it, so i presume you want to keep training as long as physically possible...dont train 5-6 times per week. i was training 5 times a week for a couple months, and i got burnt out. now im doing 3-4 and lifting 3 days a week and its much better i think

11. DKM76

DKM76 Guest

don't you people work on your stand up game?

12. Enron Exec.

Enron Exec. Guest

It depends on what kind of training your doing. Theres Quality training over quantity training.

13. mogway

mogway Blue Belt

Yeah I know what you guys mean. Quality over quantity. 4x a week is more than enough for BJJ.
    I will spend more time with my girl and friends. When you train everyday after your job, u simply don't have time for anything else.

14. kissmyabjj

kissmyabjj Blue Belt

4 times a week no question. you just can't keep up 6 days a week and stay healthy. you give yourself no time to rest or even to focus on your strength and conditioning. i am 21 and i can tell you that even young guys in good shape cannot keep that up indefinately, not if you are sparing balls to the wall every time.

15. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

NO! hence the name of the forum you prick

16. Enron Exec.

Enron Exec. Guest

I do and I weigh 190 lbs. and I can KO a buffalo with a jab

17. TheHighlander

TheHighlander Green Belt

Nothing wrong with 4x per week. If you can handle it without overtraining, more is better. The good thing about doing less is that you are usually pretty fresh for each class, which can give you more of an edge in actual rolling (but may hinder your ability to learn technique unless you're very disciplined). Don't confuse that with actually picking up skills at a faster pace. On the other hand, as you start hitting overtraining (which is a at a different point for each person) you are usually not learning physically or mentally. Ideally you want to be just below the point of overtraining for best results.

Currently I do no-gi 7 times a week, MMA twice and Muay Thai twice. (Used to be no-gi 7, gi three times, MMA once but just made a change that saves me a lot of money and time. I'll still compete gi and will train gi periodically).

18. if you do it because you enjoy it, do not let it become a job.

when i did wrestling at school, you go 5+ days a week and i keeps you in top condition and the learning pace wasnt too much for anyone but after a month or two like that it's easy to feel like work and lose your drive.

make sure you're doing other things on the side so you dont just feel like working, training, resting, working etc.. pick up a guitar or bang your gf more. it worked for me.

19. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

I train 5 times a week - 3 in BJJ and 2 in Judo - and I push my body very hard, and I work techniques constantly. For me, I've never felt better, and I used to train 2-3 times a week in BJJ only.

20. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I started writing stuff down in a notebook just about 2 weeks ago. It's fun to flip through it maybe once or twice a week to just revie the things I learned. It's incredible how much information you can learn in just a few weeks.