whats better for developing speed.

shouldercharge

Dave Camarillo idoliser
Reaction score
working a heavy bag throwing combos as quick as possible or working focus mitts (with a novice mitt holder)i need to improve my speed and reactions and am looking to tie either mitt work or heavy bag work with my conditioning outside of what i do with my boxing trainer.

I'd choose Heavy Bag over novice mitt holder myself.
If you can get a good mitt holder that's different.

well to be honest its a trainer at the gym who offered to hold pads for me if i want to do some "cardio sessions" i think he has some experience with running box-fit type classes but dont know if he knows a hell of alot about actual boxing.
i was thinking of just tying in 2mins of pad work with him 2mins on rowing machine and 2mins of burpees for a few rounds on the days i dont lift.
or i can do something similar at home kb snatches,tyre flips,and rounds on the heavy bag.

well to be honest its a trainer at the gym who offered to hold pads for me if i want to do some "cardio sessions" i think he has some experience with running box-fit type classes but dont know if he knows a hell of alot about actual boxing.
i was thinking of just tying in 2mins of pad work with him 2mins on rowing machine and 2mins of burpees for a few rounds on the days i dont lift.
or i can do something similar at home kb snatches,tyre flips,and rounds on the heavy bag.

The bag for sure, then.

How often do you do skill training (judo, bjj, wrestling, etc)? You risk overtraining if you do too much every day. My schedule goes like this:

Mon, Wed, Fri: BJJ in the early A.M., lifting after lunch, judo (judo is only MW)
TuThu: Wrestling
Sunday: HIIT burpees, sprinting, or light boxing with my trainer (I always aim to do the former, but I almost always end up doing the latter...haha)

I have to eat A LOT in order to effectively recover. I'd suggest listening to your body and adjusting accordingly.

mon:muay thai,mma
tues:boxing(am) at night muay thai,bjj,sometimes i take this night off
wensday:judo
thursday:bjj
friday:judo
saturday:muay thai,mma
sunday:boxing(am),judo newaza/open mat-when i feel like it/arent busy(not that often maybe every 2nd week)

everything is at night except boxing the tuesday morning boxing is going to have to stop soon (only during university holidays) i try and lift atleast 2x a week.

mitt holder would be better for developing speed in my opinion, but a lousy mitt holder can do more harm than good.

Heavy bag is fine as well, just focus on speed, but don't let it be at the expense of proper technique.....

Really, I think shadowboxing is one of the best ways to develop hand speed, rotate rounds between shadow and bag work, see how that works out.

I am not the most skilled but I have won most of my fights by the sheer fact that I was much faster then my opponent, mitts are absolutely better because you have a target that can move and smack you upside the head if you keep your hands down.

Double end bag. I started working with a boxing coach to improve my hands for
muay thai and the accuracy a double end bag gives as well as speed has been really
good for my training.

mon:muay thai,mma
tues:boxing(am) at night muay thai,bjj,sometimes i take this night off
wensday:judo
thursday:bjj
friday:judo
saturday:muay thai,mma
sunday:boxing(am),judo newaza/open mat-when i feel like it/arent busy(not that often maybe every 2nd week)

everything is at night except boxing the tuesday morning boxing is going to have to stop soon (only during university holidays) i try and lift atleast 2x a week.

How on earth do people manage to train so much? Don't people have work or studies? I only get to train twice, (a third time if I'm lucky) a week!

Double end bag.
Damn. Never even thought of that!
It's the perfect piece of training equipment for what the TS wants.

Back