What's best for burning fat: Running, cycling or swimming?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by TJ Combo, Aug 6, 2005.

1. muerteverde

muerteverde Black Belt

I don't know who they are eaither, but I can tell you I have seen a lot of big muscular guys doing triatholons, guys way bigger and more muscular than you would see doing marathons. Maybe it is something about the extreme nature that attracts that type of person that wants to develope in more than one area of competition (as opposed to a profesional marathoner who pretty much just runs).

But you also cannot judge which excersize is better for burning fat by what the top level athletes int he world look like. First they are preselceted for their sports (tall guys play basteball, skinny guys wih marathons, huge guys excell at sumo) and second, their training is bnoth at a higher level and probably involves factors we aren't aware of that is individual to them (their diet, their cross training, how many dozens of hours per week they spedn training).

2. Mihail

Mihail Guest

Show me one big muscular triathlete.

3. wenispinkle

wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

um, yeah...when you have to support your body weight you burn more calories than if something is doing it for you..

4. Mav3rick

Mav3rick White Belt Professional Fighter

#1 How many people here are world class runners. I would venture to say that original poster as well as everyone else here is not.

#2 I cycle stationary, depends on your mode of exercise.

#3 I don't even know what the hell we are debating about anymore. My original impression was that you were claiming that cycling and running are of equal intensities and stating that bodyweight was not a factor even though the bike supports you in biking and you support your own mass in running. Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. Maybe we are looking at the situation from two different angles *shrug*

5. BoxingFanNoMore

BoxingFanNoMore Blue Belt

I am stating that supporting your bodyweight while running is neligable to the total energy expended while running.

But you and wenispinkle seem to think otherwise, so I suggest you do some research into Bodyweight Supported Treadmill Training.

Because here are some results of BSTT studies.

Here a test was given at around 6.5 mph, and here are the emg results

[​IMG]

For one muscle group the muscle activity actually increased for less bodyweight although slightly, one group reamined farily constant over the 75% decrease in bodyweight, one group had a 25% change, and one group 50% change.

So decreasing the bodyweight supported by 75% lead only to a change of 50%, in one muscle group. If done at a higher speed where interia forcers are greater the reductions would have been smaller. Also, the speed was kept constant but in reality if you decrease the amount of bodyweight supported you would actually be able to acheive greater speeds and burn even more calories. Hence, the use of "overspeed" training.

From another study on energy expended during BSTT

"We found that no significant lowering of energy requirement was elicited until
    30% support was achieved; HR, RPE, and BP were not reflective of this reduction in
    energy requirements."

that was done walking at 2 mph. Where gravitational forces are greater and yet no change in energy requirements until a 30% decrease in bodyweight supported, and heart rate, and blood pressure didnt even change.

If supporting your bodyweight lead to a significant increase in muscle expenditure, then why are sleds used instead of weight vests? And why isnt standing around such a great exercise?

Do you see my point, supporting your body weight has little to do with it? Either in running, swimming, cycling, cross country skiing, rowing, sprinting, or wheel chair racing for that matter, compared to the inertial effects.

6. BoxingFanNoMore

EDIT Post above.

I really shouldnt have said neligable, but minor compared to.

As where in cycling Air Drag is not minor.

7. teep

teep Guest

NO longer BOxing Fan---you are one of the few guys on here that ACTUALLY knows research--so manyh of these other guys just re-hash what they have heard someone else say or whatever is in vogue to say.

Basck to the original question about swimming for fat loss: SWIMMING DOES NOT MAKE YOU LOSE FAT. It is a BIOLOGICAL adaptation for mammals to retain a layer of fat--why? Okay, those of you who don't want to do the research: 1> Because of buoyency factor 2> because of thermal demands as the fat allow retention of core temperature. Swimming is very taxing on the Gas Exchange system in the Lungs and is excellent for this.

Those of you who want to argue this point or Boxing Fan NO MOre's points--take a few courses in exercise physiology and quit reading what others say on the internet.

Ignorance--there is a cure--if you really want it.

8. Mav3rick

Ok since you are so good at citing research, cite me a study that shows running is equal in energy expenditure to stationary cycling at the same speed. If you can do this, I'll admit I am wrong plain and simple.

9. johnnynoname

johnnynoname Banned Banned

You definately should warm up. I suggest warming up with 2 laps. The first lap I would walk and the second I would jog. After that start with your sprint workout.

As a side note you may want to strech your leg muscles after you warm up just to prevent injuries.

10. johnnynoname

You definately should warm up. I suggest warming up with 2 laps. The first lap I would walk and the second I would jog. After that start with your sprint workout.

As a side note you may want to strech your leg muscles after you warm up just to prevent injuries.

11. teep

teep Guest

YOu actually think that stationary biking at 5kph is the same as running at 5kph?

12. mixicus

mixicus Yellow Belt

The best exercise for burning fat is... the one you'll actually do!

If you hate running you are less likely to drag yourself out of bed to rack up miles or do sprint work on a regular basis. So you will probably not burn as much fat over time. But if you love cycling (stationary or road) you are more likely to do it hence burn calories on a regular basis. It's doing the exercise that burns the fat not how many calories/hour a book says you'll burn.

If you like to swim, bike, run, tae bo or juggle poodles while skipping: DO IT! If you like it but don't feel like you're burning enough up the intensity or time of the exercise (hills, up the pace, juggle bigger poodles).

13. my big toe

my big toe Yellow Belt

You have to compare intensity over time. Exercising at 70% of Max Heart Rate for 30 minutes will burn more Total calories than 30 minutes at 50% heart rate. The percentage of fat burned at each intensity for the different exercises depends on different variables including; conditioning level, age, diet, body composition, etc. While training at higher heart rates may burn less fat for fuel during the exercise, you will burn more total calories per training period and during the post-training period.

A highly conditioned swimmer will be able to maintain a higher-heart rate over a longer period of time and therefore burn more total calories than say a unconditioned runner over the same period of time. And the swimmer will lose weight as long as his total calorie intake is less then his expenditure.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0895.htm

14. johnnynoname

i agree 100%

the best cardio/liftingsplit/nutrition program is the one done consistently. Take a bodycomp and weigh yourself every week and see how your progress measures against your goals.

If your on point with your goals your doing fine
    If your behind, increase duration,frequency,intensity or change type or make diet adjustments

their are a ton of theories and most of them work. but its the consistency and effort that make them work

15. Mav3rick

No, and that's my fucking point. You are using more muscle fiber recruitment and moving you're own body mass running when compared to biking which will create a higher intensity. That's been my whole argument all along because in his original post I thought he was claiming that your mass didn't matter whether you were biking or running. Put a fat fucking slob that weighs 280 pounds on a bike. He can probably ride a mile with minimal effort now tell him to jog that same mile. Now tell me that mass doesn't fucking matter.

16. mappgh

mappgh White Belt

EXACTLY! good points!

17. BoxingFanNoMore

Sigh, I give up. I suggest you re-read the entire thread from the begining.

18. teep

teep Guest

Yes movnig the body mass is what makes it difficult. METs are higher for that.

You will not lose fat SWIMMING--you guys can debate all you want to about air based training--but it does not apply to water based traininig.

19. Mav3rick

I never said anything about swimming. My posts are concerning running and cycling.

20. teep

teep Guest

I am replying to all of the posts on this.

You are in Columbus? One of my good friends is the Power Lifting coach--Louiw Simmons--you want sprot specific training--he's the man!!!