What's a fan friendly way to compress video?

Steve Rogers

Mistress Kate's slave
Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to back up my Blu-ray collection to external hard drives. When ya rip a Blu-ray, the file, if a movie, can be over 30 gigs. I know how to compress that down using Handbrake or VirtualDub but both of those methods drive my computer's fan crazy. Anyone know a way I can compress large video files without my computer overheating and my fan blowing out?

I've heard DNA can hold incredible amounts of information.

So obviously stick it in your butt

On a more serious note. You can do a water cooler system for your computer for under $30

What's that?

It works very well. I did this for my old ps3 and xbox 360 to stop overheating for good. Those systems would get so hot the cpu solder would melt. So once I did this it never happened again

Yes, fans speed up to cool your CPU and GPU so they don't overheat. That's the point. Just because they're on, doesn't mean your computer is going to die.

What are the actual temps?

Squeeze your hands together, and then go back to Africa. JK dunno.

Just set the priority for the program that your using to encode lower .. It will take longer but not use as much processing power.. Thus be cooler ..

It works very well. I did this for my old ps3 and xbox 360 to stop overheating for good. Those systems would get so hot the cpu solder would melt. So once I did this it never happened again
Great, thanks.

Yes, fans speed up to cool your CPU and GPU so they don't overheat. That's the point. Just because they're on, doesn't mean your computer is going to die.

What are the actual temps?
Haven't done a long enough test to find out yet. I'm just afraid if the fan's on too much for too long, it'll just eventually wear out.

Just set the priority for the program that your using to encode lower .. It will take longer but not use as much processing power.. Thus be cooler ..
OK, thanks.

Download blu ray rips that have already been compressed.

Do threads here automatically update now, without ya having to click the refresh button? That last post just appeared without me hitting refresh.

Back