Whatever happened to the 'new breed' ?

You're a waste of time dude. Jones is "new breed" or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

I'm going by Rogain's definition and starting your MMA training at the age of 20 does not make you 'new breed'.

I don't know but Rory got what was coming to him for bumping his chest like a gorilla after the safi fight.

weidmanenter.jpg
6a01774476d922970d01a73db9c30f970d-pi

They never existed. Fighting is still primarily about physical tools, which is why guys like Jon Jones and Chris Weidman can pick up MMA and be elite fighters almost instantly. There was no such thing as a "new breed" of fighters who actually trained MMA as kids (instead of traditional martial arts and/or wrestling). Well, there might be some of those kids, but the point is that it doesn't matter. A person with better physical fighting abilities still stomps them.

That's why all this crap about "evolution of the sport" was junk as soon as people figured out basic subs and wrestling. It's been the same sport since like 2002, if not before. Which is why there are people who are still good now who have been fighting since like 2002. Looking the half of the top four weight divisions, actually: Werdum's first fight was in 2002 and Robbie's was in 2001. If you keep going down, Aldo's first fight was in 2004. So was RDA's.

So it's like that song by The Who. Meet the new breed / same as the old breed.

Remember the "New Breed" heavyweights, consisting of two people, Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. Lol.

They never existed. Fighting is still primarily about physical tools, which is why guys like Jon Jones and Chris Weidman can pick up MMA and be elite fighters almost instantly. There was no such thing as a "new breed" of fighters who actually trained MMA as kids (instead of traditional martial arts and/or wrestling). Well, there might be some of those kids, but the point is that it doesn't matter. A person with better physical fighting abilities still stomps them.

That's why all this crap about "evolution of the sport" was junk as soon as people figured out basic subs and wrestling. It's been the same sport since like 2002, if not before. Which is why there are people who are still good now who have been fighting since like 2002. Looking the half of the top four weight divisions, actually: Werdum's first fight was in 2002 and Robbie's was in 2001. If you keep going down, Aldo's first fight was in 2004. So was RDA's.

This sums it up nicely.

They pretty much died when WCW was bought out by Vince McMahon. I thought that the New Breed angle had some promise, but unfortunately WCW was already dying in a big way. Billy Kidman ftw!

I'm starting to think MMA peaked in the UFC between 2005-2008. But anyway,
I'm sure there'll be a "new batch of mmaists" to rejuvenate the sport soonish.

This man just killed the entire thread.

Respect.

This man just killed the entire thread.

Respect.

Yeah . . .

Actually, some of the greatest grappling or striking matches of all time are still from 2000ish to 2008/09 between Pride and the UFC. I thought the game'd progress more than it has.

The new breed is here they just aren't very appealing besides that one irish guy

MMA is a game of experience. Once they've hit 30 or so they will be miles better than the current opposition that's at that age. I guarantee it. So they haven't GSP'd the entire division... it doesn't mean they aren't a new breed. Eventually as they reach their prime fighting years they will be much much better than the guys that are there now.

Rogaine was hyping up these young fighters like Myles Jury and Rory McDonald because they traned UFC from a young age instead of TMA. What other 'new breed' fighters have fallen short to the old guard?

With the new drug testing the average age of a champion will drop quite a bit going forward

Because Yair Rodriguez is now the new breed of fighter

Back