Whatever happened to the "Conor can't beat a wrestler" question?

He still loses to a good wrestler. The guy lost to Nate Diaz, he's cool an shit but stop acting like he's Fedor.
Alvarez seemed spooked almost from the out, and did basically everything wrong. Conor did basically everything right. He totally outclassed Alvarez.

Conor was very impressive against Alvarez, his TDD, striking, counters, reaction speed....similar to Anderson spooking and flummoxing MW challengers.
Anderson never dropped an opponent 6 times in 2 fights without a finish...

He still loses to a good wrestler. The guy lost to Nate Diaz, he's cool an shit but stop acting like he's Fedor.

Anderson never dropped an opponent 6 times in 2 fights without a finish...
Did Conor knock Alvarez down six times and not finish him? Because I remember Conor dropping him three or four times, and finishing him.

One on 2 weeks notice and the other went fubar with his gameplan after one punch.

But I digress,yes he fought 2 wrestlers already.

2 fights, 2 Ws

You can make excuses for every fighter's losses. Don't be the guy that does that just to bash another fighter's accomplishments

2 week Mendes ragdolled him but he thrashed Alvarez (who is an above average wrestler) who said he was going to "go in, take him down and submit him."

Conor will not get taken down for the remainder of his career. Mark my words.

Out of fear for that left hand and the grappling improvements helped by bjj wizard Dillon 'Pablo' Danis.
One thing is for sure, whether it was the fear of God put into him from that loss, the help of Pablo or the fact that his knee is better, no one can say Conor has bad TDD.

I feel like the hard working martial artist Conor disappeared after the Holloway fight and came back in the Diaz II, except he just really focused on what his strengths were, focused on winning and got rid of all the cute flashy stuff. When Conor got taken down by Mendes, he as totally reckless and gave 0 f's. This Conor may take a little longer to get the job done but he ain't getting taken down 4 times by Mendes if they fought again

However, a part of me almost wishes he does get taken down, just so I can see his new ground game. And with his mindset for growth and improvement (Id see the best we have ever seen), I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we saw him, he tapped a high level guy out. Coach K and even Gunni are really kinda bread and butter top control guys but Dillon is phenomenal off his back and maybe one of the most active and creative new gen BJJ practitioners that is out there atm.

I still think he will have problems with a high pressure grapplers like Khabups, Cuycuy,MJ or even Eddie(if he fights smart)

Conor will not get taken down for the remainder of his career. Mark my words.

Out of fear for that left hand and the grappling improvements helped by bjj wizard Dillon 'Pablo' Danis.

I would gladly bet you on this.......IF he mans up and fights Khabib, I would put money that Conor would be getting taken down with ease. Khabib is a far better wrestler than anyone Conor has fought. Khabib is the best pure wrestler in MMA.

One thing is for sure, whether it was the fear of God put into him from that loss, the help of Pablo or the fact that his knee is better, no one can say Conor has bad TDD.

I feel like the hard working martial artist Conor disappeared after the Holloway fight and came back in the Diaz II, except he just really focused on what his strengths were, focused on winning and got rid of all the cute flashy stuff. When Conor got taken down by Mendes, he as totally reckless and gave 0 f's. This Conor may take a little longer to get the job done but he ain't getting taken down 4 times by Mendes if they fought again

However, a part of me almost wishes he does get taken down, just so I can see his new ground game. And with his mindset for growth and improvement (Id see the best we have ever seen), I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we saw him, he tapped a high level guy out. Coach K and even Gunni are really kinda bread and butter top control guys but Dillon is phenomenal off his back and maybe one of the most active and creative new gen BJJ practitioners that is out there atm.
Bravo sir!!! a late nomination for non-macsby sherdog post of the year.

tumblr_inline_ny13iiynOx1t1rw41_500.gif

I still think he will have problems with a high pressure grapplers like Khabups, Cuycuy,MJ or even Eddie(if he fights smart)
Well, Khabib is one of the best grapplers LW has seen, and Cucuy has unique ways to get a fight down. They'd both be a real chance.

MJ and Alvarez? Nah.

Some people think McGregor is a one-dimensional fighter, especially when talking about the GOAT. Silva KO'd strikers like Belfort and Irvin but he also submitted wrestlers like Sonnen and Henderson. As far as I'm concerned as long as McGregor keeps defending the ground game and knocking people out it's kind of hard to argue with success.​

2 week Mendes ragdolled him but he thrashed Alvarez (who is an above average wrestler) who said he was going to "go in, take him down and submit him."
I think Alvarez would have taken down Mendes Conor. That Conor was a totally different reckless fighter. I feel the Conor pre Diaz 1 was just trying to show off all the tools in his bag: "Look at me, Mommy: I can do a cartwheel kick, a summersault into a double leg, a behind the back soccer pass kick....aren't I so well rounded??". Where as after he lost, he realized every movement counts and he was wasting a ton of energy of low percentage moves and lessening the effect of the one atomic bomb that he had.

That Jack Slack article from 2-3 years ago talks about how Conor was the future and focused on the plethora of his skills and creativity vs the potency of his one tool that no one could trump (boxing). I think Conor felt the pressure to live up to this standard in which he was the next evolution of this game and focused on dazzling vs winning until it bit him in the ass and neglected all the things that got him to the top. The Conor that fought Diaz at 196 and 205 are about as different as two fighters can be while being the same fighter. And that minimalistic more efficient Conor is an absolute mutha f'r to deal with.

In fact, I can't wait to see Gunni fight either. The Gunni that pieced up Tumenov on the feet and strangled him is totally different from the Gunni that fought Maia. SBG fighters are definitely very changed since last December.

Its hilarious how many Mcgregor nuthuggers said tons of terrible things about his wrestling before the fight now after the fight say he wasna wrestler and give him props and what not.

Most posters on here jumped off that wagon and hitched their lips to Perrys doodlebop

They're gonna say he isn't legit until he beats Yoel Romero

In the meantime they're taking time out of their day to mispronounce his name, that'll show him

Back