whatever happened to muay thai? how come now everyone is "muy" boxing

Thai Boxers are underrated as f*ck and most come from Muay Thai training. They think that only Flying Knee KO's and heads being busted open by elbows and stuff like that are proof of MT working.
Thiago Santos was a was a MT fighter im pretty sure, and his hands and striking defense are great.

Thiago Santos was a was a MT fighter im pretty sure, and his hands and striking defense are great.
Thiago Santos Marreta ? that fought Mousasi ?

He has great striking skills but man, he needs to improve the rest of his game. He has talent to reach the top.

Thiago Santos Marreta ? that fought Mousasi ?

He has great striking skills but man, he needs to improve the rest of his game. He has talent to reach the top.
He was having a great run before back to back losses to Gegard and Eric Spicely. Taking the Gegard fight short notice completely destroyed his momentum, but at least he caught Gegard with a few good shots. He already has another fight booked for February. When he puts it together he is one of the best on the feet.

He was having a great run before back to back losses to Gegard and Eric Spicely. Taking the Gegard fight short notice completely destroyed his momentum, but at least he caught Gegard with a few good shots. He already has another fight booked for February. When he puts it together he is one of the best on the feet.
just another instance where fundamental boxing and good jab from Gegard completely baffles the MT striker

just another instance where fundamental boxing and good jab from Gegard completely baffles the MT striker
I reckon that Gegard flustered him when Santos missed most of his early shots, and was touching him with the jab. His best moments were when Gegard moved in on him, but Gegard could take the shots while Santos gets rocked and outgrappled. Shame, since I thought that Santos would have the advantage on the feet.

Tbh i think Spicely wouldn't beat Marreta again, that was his night to shine xD i think he'll pick the ball up again, he's a tough guy.

Well, as most people said and you seem to be ignoring, you ain't going to see pure Muay Thai from Brazilians or Americans. it is mostly dutch based kickboxing.

Still, if you want to compare. For one boxing beating muay thai fight that you find, i'll find 50 with the opposite result.

Muay Thai was just a buzzword in MMA. It was always sloppy brawling with knees.

Remember when suddenly "K-1 level striking" became a thing.... :rolleyes:

Tbh i think Spicely wouldn't beat Marreta again, that was his night to shine xD i think he'll pick the ball up again, he's a tough guy.
I was sort of scared for Santos, but after Spicelys performance against Andrew Sanchez I thought that we would see a repeat of that. Oh well, Santos still has more fights left in him. He would beat Hall in a rematch imo.

Well, as most people said and you seem to be ignoring, you ain't going to see pure Muay Thai from Brazilians or Americans. it is mostly dutch based kickboxing.

Still, if you want to compare. For one boxing beating muay thai fight that you find, i'll find 50 with the opposite result.
in high level MMA? I be interested in seeing the examples you have in mind

There has never been much MT in MMA. Outside of Thailand traditional MT is rare. In the US there has always been an own style of MT and the line to kickboxing is blurred. In Europe it's mostly Dutch style MT and also there kickboxing is much bigger and the line to MT isn't clearly defined and MT has alway sbeen a side thing to K-1 style kickboxing.

And it's that wqay everyone else.
Brazillian MT is also it's own thing. Unless we start seeing Thai MMA fighters we will probably not see a lot of traditional MT in MMA.

Also the scoring in Thailand is different and they score kicks and knees higher than even in Kickboxing or European MT. Also with kicks there's a higher risk of getting taken down.

Muay Thai was just a buzzword in MMA. It was always sloppy brawling with knees.

Remember when suddenly "K-1 level striking" became a thing.... :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

Nothing sloppy about what Santos did, he set up his shots, went low then high. All according to plan.

Interesting fact about Muay Thai; it was not invented in Thailand.

Muay Thai was invented in India and is actually Sanskirt for "8 limbs."

in high level MMA? I be interested in seeing the examples you have in mind
I was about to give you examples of a past Boxing champion fighting against Dutch kickboxers and getting his ass handed to him and all the Thai boxers from Muay Thai training that mopped the floor with Boxers.

I find it disturbing that you really see any "high level" display of boxing in MMA. Mousasi's is one of the few with a legit amateur boxing career. Is too rare to find someone that has a decent jab in the UFC and you're expecting to see high level boxing in MMA...if they were showing good boxing, they would be boxing.

Interesting fact about Muay Thai; it was not invented in Thailand.

Muay Thai was invented in India and is actually Sanskirt for "8 limbs."
Same goes for Lethwei, Tomoi, Muay Lao, Pradal Serey, Muay Boran etc.

Muay Thai is 8 weapons and boxing is 2 8>2 so Muay Thai was the go to. But then people realized that elbows are a low percentage move, front knee/kick is low percentage, and takedowns exist. People gradually learned punching is less likely to get you taken down and it makes up 76% of knockouts and it's the most high percentage type strike. So in reality punching is going to have a higher return on investment. That being said you need both but the most valuable thing you'll get from Muay Thai is low kicks/knees/kick defense

Like wrestling and bjj for MMA goes through evolution, so does striking arts.

Pure MT isn't ideal for MMA, just like pure boxing or karate style striking. You gotta make them apply in this sport

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back