Whatever happened to Jits?

Monkie

White Belt
Reaction score
I was at an event last night and one last saturday and NOONE is using jiu jitsu. Except yesterday when one of my training partners armbarred his opponent in the second round!..... Anyway like I was saying all these guys (even the ones dominant on the ground) were'nt using jiu jitsu at all. Is this because MMA schools water down jiu jitsu? It seems like the guy were just getting on top raining down punches. I have some thoughts.

1. When in the guard, PASS, get to a dominant position and then pick ur shots and look to submit. Simple right? I guess not.
2 When using the guard, break the posture, control the head. If the guy punches at u use it to get an overhook. Try to submit, sweep, or transition.
3. If in dominant position down "rain down punches" as I heard so many times last night. Pick ur punches and again look to submit or advance ur position.

It seems that all these fighters have the wrestler mentality of take down then try to bash his face in. If jiu jitsu is used this couldnt happen. Jiu jitsu needs to make a comeback in mma. The use of wrestling is of course very important for takedowns of course. Locally the jiu jitsu guy are incredibly dominant. All my teammates that have done mma r all undefeated (granted none of them have more than 5 fights but combined its... cant think of the word lol) and they do nothing but jiu jitsu. All the local champions have been in my gym at some point and study real jiu jitsu, Not wrestling with some jiu jitsu thrown in. Off the top of my head 3 of the local champions (not on my team) either come in often or started off training at our academy.

Anyways put down ur thoughts on this.

K BYE! :icon_chee

We shouldn't jump to any conclusions based on your limited observations.

But if we are, this is my take;

Sidecontrol is one of the worst position for GnP if the rules doesn't allow kneestrikes. So passing the guard/halfguard isn't actually that good.

It's hard to control someone in MMA (Galvao vs. Stewart for example) so you have to be a lot better in order to get the submission. Landing a strike doesn't require same amount of skill advantage on the ground.

Are you serious or you just trolling, looking for laughs?

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

1. When in the guard, PASS, get to a dominant position and then pick ur shots and look to submit. Simple right? I guess not.
2 When using the guard, break the posture, control the head. If the guy punches at u use it to get an overhook. Try to submit, sweep, or transition.
3. If in dominant position down "rain down punches" as I heard so many times last night. Pick ur punches and again look to submit or advance ur position.

1. Why pass? You can do damage, control the fight, and score on the guy. No need to pass, ala Sonnen, Ortiz, etc.

2. Why? Just get back up.

3. You can do damage and control the fight this way. "picking" punches from the top may not be so meaningful.

All this said, I hate that there is not more jiu jitsu in MMA. I can't stand the strategy I outlined above, but it seems to work in MMA.

We shouldn't jump to any conclusions based on your limited observations.

But if we are, this is my take;

Sidecontrol is one of the worst position for GnP if the rules doesn't allow kneestrikes. So passing the guard/halfguard isn't actually that good.

It's hard to control someone in MMA (Galvao vs. Stewart for example) so you have to be a lot better in order to get the submission. Landing a strike doesn't require same amount of skill advantage on the ground.

The lack of knee strikes on the ground is so crippling. As you point out, it completely neuters side control as a dominant position. Its good for holding a guy down, and thats about it.

Knee strikes on the ground would get rid of the "boring" style of wrestling MMA that seems so common and effective today. On the one hand it means that wrestlers have to be more careful shooting in, lest they eat a knee for their troubles. A failed shot is even worse.

Side control and especially north south suddenly become extremely dangerous positions to be in. This benefits anyone who can pass the guard and maintain control, which would help all grapplers, not just BJJ or wrestlers.

You also need to allow up kicks. Having that extra weapon for the fighter to use with his guard is key to stopping guys from just stalling in a guard and pillow-fisting their way to a decision.

People started calling it "Jits," that's when everything went to shit.

well, I really dont know how anyone can say that side control isnt so good anymore, sure, delivring GnP from guard its easier, but its way easier to get a full mount from side control than from the guard, as a matter of fact, there is no fucking way you can mount someone from the guard...

Brock lesnar just subed carwin, Werdum just subed Fedor, AS just saved his ass with a submission, WTF IS WRONG WITH PPL SAYING BJJ IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE?

[...] as a matter of fact, there is no fucking way you can mount someone from the guard...

Indeed so. If you are good at raining down punches from the guard, imagine what you can do from the mount!

Brock lesnar just subed carwin, Werdum just subed Fedor, AS just saved his ass with a submission, WTF IS WRONG WITH PPL SAYING BJJ IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE?

AND Couture subbed Toney!! :icon_chee

Once the fight hits the ground, everything is basically jiu jitsu. I have no idea where you train but jiu jitsu isn't all about the crazy chokes and armbars. Jiu Jitsu started off on the street where the gracies would take dudes down and punch them into submission, from whatever position worked best.

Back