What you think of burmese fighting systems

I have read up on this and from what I know its alot like muay thai. The difference's are:
They fight old school muay thai without hand wrap
They can get up as many times after being knocked down and even knocked out
Hand striking seems lazy and lacking
They use head butts for striking
They encourage takedowns
Not as popular

I would say muay thai better when it comes to the ring because of its balance in hand and kicks.

It seemes a bit more hard-core than muay Thai I looked on the site at the video clips the guy there is taching people to bite the nose or neck during the clinch lol

I just read an article about fights on the Burma Thailand border. They use that fighting system all the time against the Thai fighters. It's considered equally as effective...just depends on the amount of skill and conditioning the individual fighter has.

The Kachin Style is a 16 animal system, due in large part to the Jinghpaws animistic tradition. The animal systems in Kachin martial arts mentioned earlier are patterned after human attributes both physical and mental.

does anyone no all of the amimal systems the two on the web site both do fit me

Steve
1. Boar
2. Bull
3. White Rhino
4. White Elephant
5. Python
6. Cobra
7. Viper
8. Crocodile
9. Eagle
10. Paddy Bird
11. Tiger
12. Panther
13. Scorpion
14. Sun Bear
15. Monkey
16. Barking Deer

Also I don't know of anyone on the Island sorry

bdweezil6998 said:
I just read an article about fights on the Burma Thailand border. They use that fighting system all the time against the Thai fighters. It's considered equally as effective...just depends on the amount of skill and conditioning the individual fighter has.

Was that in Rolling Stone?

pretty intense fight. How do these guys fair against muay thaifighters from thailand. be nice if there was a place in NYC

There have not been a whole lot of quality fighters vs quality fighters. One event in Burma and 2 fights by Wan Chai in Thailand one at a Kings Birthday. I have allways felt each has a big advantage by there own rules. Puching is very different without gloves and headbutts changs the clinch.

If you are ever out in North Jersey stop by on me

tinker_190 said:
Was that in Rolling Stone?

The article I saw was in the Feb issue of Stuff. It was about fights involving kids. It talked about the Burmese fighters going against the Thai fighters. Matches tended to go either way, but the things the article focused on were the age of the fighters (10 years old), and the lack of health care in Burma. The Thai fighters were able to get medical treatment after a fight, but the Burmese fighters didn't have healthcare, so they weren't allowed in the hospitals. The article wasn't really about which art was more effective...it implied that the two arts worked well against each other.

Muay Thai itself is taught differently depending on where and who you train with in Thailand; I remember in the not so distant past that they would include head butting in the instruction as you say the Burmese Boxing does. I believe most Muay Thai instructors have refrained from teaching it due to it's de-evolution as a sport and international rules as opposed to self-defense. All the nations in that region's martial styles have alot in common in terms of the look of each.

A novice could easily think he was watching Muay Thai and be watching the indigenous styles of Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Burma, etc ....

Back