What you cooking/eating tonight? Sherdog Needs A Food Truck

I’m fermenting some hot sauce though. Should take about 2 weeks. The date should be 2-16-20 I was drunk.
gF16dZO.jpg

Are you gonna put that in a shaker bottle or blend it or what?

Looks great

Should make this thread a running thing

I made carnitas for tacos yesterday
No photos though

2 ish pounds Pork shoulder and 1 pork belly, braised in 1:1 of wheat beer and chicken stock for about three hours

Reduced after three hours, then fried in batches in the resulting fat

Was delicious

I usually do my carnitas with just pork shoulder. What's the reasoning with the pork belly? Does it just add more fat and flavor? Is it so that it gets crispy when you fry it up? Could you just do in a crock pot and not fry it? I might have to try it.

I usually do my carnitas with just pork shoulder. What's the reasoning with the pork belly? Does it just add more fat and flavor? Is it so that it gets crispy when you fry it up? Could you just do in a crock pot and not fry it? I might have to try it.

All of the above. The porkbelly fat renders so that when you fry it it gets crispy with no added oil. So I usually do it in a dutch oven, boil the liquid off when it's done and then I'm just left with the fat and the meat and I'll fry from there in batches.

You can skip frying, but in that case you want to make sure you cut the pork belly small and maybe even trim some of the fat since not all of it will breakdown in the braise

Bud I had pasta with sausage in it last night and having bbq ribs tonight . ... I basically eat for free thanks to the deals at price chopper

you blend the peppers and you can use the leftover liquid as a condiment as well

Nice. Do you strain the blended peppers or leave the sauce a little chunky? How long do you age it?

Nice. Do you strain the blended peppers or leave the sauce a little chunky? How long do you age it?

I think I will strain it but this is my first time doing it. You are supposed to ferment it for 2-3 weeks.

I have been burping the jar everyday and it smells amazing already.

@Threetrees @chill doggie @tonysmasseuse @-Magua- @Dober4

any of you guys cook with turmeric root much?

I use ground turmeric a lot but never messed with the root, wondering how much it might affect the taste of foods if at all

I'm doing a broth right now, red onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric root, chillies, cloves, green cardamom pods, cinamon bark, lemon grass, lemon zest, shiitake, corriander & mint.

Gonna let it simmer for a while and then tonight might cook up some garlic chilli prawns & more shiitake to add to it, maybe some spinach noodles. Or I might just keep it vegan and go spinach noodles & brocoli

I use ground turmeric a lot but never messed with the root, wondering how much it might affect the taste of foods if at all

I'm doing a broth right now, red onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric root, chillies, cloves, green cardamom pods, cinamon bark, lemon grass, lemon zest, shiitake, corriander & mint.

Gonna let it simmer for a while and then tonight might cook up some garlic chilli prawns & more shiitake to add to it, maybe some spinach noodles. Or I might just keep it vegan and go spinach noodles & brocoli
Spicy spinach noodles and broccoli sounds delicious, HP.

Im not a fan of turmeric (the taste) even if it has a beautiful colour. I've tried cooking with it, drinking it in milkshakes, sprinkled on porridge etc as it's one of those primary things recommended me for my 'dosha type' in ayurvedic understand of health (=pitta) as it's calming and cooling, but i just can't take to the taste.

I imagine cooking with the root will add a more bitter depth to the taste?
Let us know how it works out yeah :)

no pictures because I forgot

but basil jalapenos shrimp stirfry with some garlic scallion rice and fried plaintains last night

delicious

From my experience at least I think the tumeric root actually affects the food less, it'll smell more like tumeric but the powdered one can add some bitterness that fresh doesnt
in a broth with that many other spices you might not even be able to detect it

I grate it into large pots of rice a lot since I eat rice daily, and I barely notice its there except for the color

Im not a fan of turmeric (the taste) even if it has a beautiful colour. I've tried cooking with it, drinking it in milkshakes, sprinkled on porridge etc as it's one of those primary things recommended me for my 'dosha type' in ayurvedic understand of health (=pitta) as it's calming and cooling, but i just can't take to the taste.

Yeah it has a real health kick so I thought as I use it all the time anyway I might as well try the root, it's bound to be even healthier. It's a good anti inflammatory apparently, and God knows I need one of those.

I forgot how much it stains your hands though, I'm covered in it now!

no pictures because I forgot

but basil jalapenos shrimp stirfry with some garlic scallion rice and fried plaintains last night

delicious
Ah mate that sounds awesome, I need to come and live with you for a while!

Also definitely need a Sherdog food truck

From my experience at least I think the tumeric root actually affects the food less, it'll smell more like tumeric but the powdered one can add some bitterness that fresh doesnt
in a broth with that many other spices you might not even be able to detect it

I grate it into large pots of rice a lot since I eat rice daily, and I barely notice its there except for the color
Yeah I use ground in most things, always in rice too.
I eat raw ginger every day as its great for my stomach, I might add a slice of turmeric as well, see what it's like

I did try drinking turmeric in boiling water with lemon and honey, but it's such an overpowering taste

I did try drinking turmeric in boiling water with lemon and honey, but it's such an overpowering taste
It really is. I found the most tolerable way to drink it was in hot milk with honey.

If you don't take regular milk, maybe you could try it with almond milk, rice milk or oat milk.

Maybe blend with a banana or some mango for a thicker milkshake (lassi type) drink

It really is. I found the most tolerable way to drink it was in hot milk with honey.

If you don't take regular milk, maybe you could try it with almond milk, rice milk or oat milk.

Maybe blend with a banana or some mango for a thicker milkshake (lassi type) drink
Yah milk is a no no for me, I don't even try alternatives any more as I haven't touched it or most dairy in over 25 years.
That's why I thought chewing the root might be an idea, like an old grizzly bear while I'm scratching my arse on a tree

Yah milk is a no no for me, I don't even try alternatives any more as I haven't touched it or most dairy in over 25 years.
That's why I thought chewing the root might be an idea, like an old grizzly bear while I'm scratching my arse on a tree
Could you make your own coconut milk and use as base?
Coconut is very cooling and soothing (anti-inflammatory)

Could you make your own coconut milk and use as base?
Coconut is very cooling and soothing (anti-inflammatory)
Never thought to try that, I'll have to look into it

My soundtrack to Friday night is this, thought you might dig it

No Knead Bread is is a bowl and rising right now. Not sure about dinner yet. Probs burgers or something.

Back