what would you rather do.. (muay thai training)

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by BlackPowder, Jul 20, 2010.

1. BlackPowder

BlackPowder White Belt

Oke first off, i wasnt sure where I should post this thread, it could work fine here or in the Strength and Conditioning forums..

but anyways, back to the question:

If you were a guy training Muay Thai, planning to become as good as possible in that sport.

Given that, would you rather:

- Train Muay Thai five times a week, from monday to friday

or

- Train Muay Thai three times a week, and do strength and power training on the other two days.. .. train three days at your Muay Thai gym and two days in your local fitness gym to work on your over all strength and power

Which way do think think is better, would lead to a better over all performance in the sport?

Which way would lead to the more successful fighter?

The background story is, i usually train MT 3 -4 times in our gym, but wanted to go daily from this summer on. But i was at our local fitness gym today and did some strength training like deadlifting and squatting, and actually really liked it.. so i was wondering if I should go train MT daily as planned, or just include two strength and power sessions instead..

Oh and our MT training sessions dont include any weight training.. strength, yes, but just push ups and pull ups and so on..

Thanks for all info and answers!!

Cheers

Fabian

2. Clint07

Clint07 You like blood? Violence? Freaks of nature?

Training more in Muay Thai would probably be your best bet if your goal is to be good at Muay Thai. If you can add additional weight training or cardio in there it would be good but don't sacrifice skill training for weight training

3. Switch

Switch White Belt

I picked option 1. But I do miss lifting, and so do my joints. But compared to training 3 times a day, 5/6 days I do wins hands down.

I am hoping add once a day lifting to my training though.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 Guest

Just make sure you don't burn out, 5-6 days is a lot on your body, especially if you are training MT properly.

5. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

At the beginner level, MT practice would be more beneficial. At the elite level it is probably better to mix it up.

6. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

GO TO WWW.KAEWSAMRITGYM.COM check out their training routine. If it's good enough for world champions, it's good enough for us. :D

7. Tsingani

Tsingani White Belt

Muay Thai everyday!!

But seriously, it depends on your goals.

As in... do you have a fight coming up? Do you want to gain or lose weight? Are you working on fitness, strength, looks etc?

8. JNick

JNick Orange Belt

Training as much technique as possible wont hurt u. And u could always lift on the weekend. Just be careful not to over train

9. Rado

Rado Blue Belt

To be good at Muay Thai you need to train Muay Thai and the more you train the better you become. Although it can be a good idea, your Muay Thai doesn't necessarily need weight training.