what would you get? need help

footpatrol

Orange Belt
Reaction score
im going to be moving to another country soon (japan), and will take up training mma there seriously
so i am going to be needing to buy all my gear before i leave the US, since prices are here are probably alot cheaper then up there.
i am wondering what are some things i should get,
more typically the brand , good quality so it can last me a while but not crazy expensive unless its truly worth it
right now the only thing i got is a pair of Twins super bag gloves http://store.titleboxing.com/twins-super-bag-gloves.html , would i be able to use these for sparring?
and a pair of compression shorts.

i got some ideas on which brand i am lookin at, but i am looking for suggestions with people with hands on experience

items i am thinking i will definitly need are :

rash guards - probably get both a long sleeve and a short sleeve (unless i only need 1?) brand i was looking towards where the kaizen and mizuno since they look to be pretty good quality and made from lycra (unless they all are?) and hayabusa

fight shorts - probably gonna get sprawl shorts. probly go cheaper and the vflex since they are on sale

mouth guards- i am most likely going with starsguards but, i just got the fittin kit, dont know if i did a good job and i will be moving in less then 2 weeks, so i guess ill have to just get shockdoctor .. unless thats a big no-no

mma gloves- people seem to have liked the combat sports gloves which is pretty damn cheap compared to everything else, but would i need to get 2 different types of mma gloves or can one be okay? also lookin at hayabusas or ssf

and dont know, maybe also shin guards?
anything else i should buy before i leave?

Compression shorts with cup :
http://store.titleboxing.com/under-armour-short-cup.html
these are bad-ass and the cup is decent cuz if you bought the shorts alone it would be relatively the same price.
rashgaurds as far as i know all have lycra in them but you could just get under armour like this :
http://store.titleboxing.com/ua-heatgear-blitz-longsleeve-tee.html
this is what i wear under my gi.
fight shorts :
http://store.titleboxing.com/fcf-extreme-logo-shorts.html
the full contact fighters give you alot of leg room , i hav not tried the sprawls but alot of people like them.
Mouthgaurd :
http://store.titleboxing.com/titleboxing-brain-pad-high-performance-mouthguard.html
or
http://store.titleboxing.com/shock-doctor-sdmp-2.html
i have the shock doctor, i really like it, i have heard alot of good things about the brain-pad.
MMA gloves - I wouldnt go combat cuz their products seem to be too inconsistent, but unless you want to gamble.

just my 2 cents worth.

....avoid the shock doctor.

don't know about the UA cup shorts. I DO like the shock doctor cup/shorts, but their mouthguards should be avoided like plague.

do buy:

fight shorts - sprawl/clinchgear/truth/etc.

rashguards are pretty much choice on par right now.

other accessories if you need them like knee pads/elbow pads/wrestling shoes.

shin pads, I like CSI's ones (for grappling).

boxing gloves - 16oz fairtex's of your choice. NOT a 'training' glove though, get a bag glove.

get ouano gloves for MMA sparring though anywhere with a brain won't have you using them straight off the bat. I like the Ouano shootos myself.

too tired to think of other stuff, use the search function.

~Foz

I like my shock doctor mouth gaurd and the UA shorts w/ cup are good.

You have a pretty good list started. This what I would get:

1. 16oz pair of bag gloves - Ringside and Combat Sports are pretty good brands (they are essentially the same company).

2. 16 oz pair of training/sparring gloves - again I would recommend Ringside or Combat Sports. Windy and Fairtex are also great brands, but they are definately higher priced.

3. Headgear - the one I have is an old Ringside brand with the padded chin, but they do not sell headgear anymore. Fight Gear or Windy is a good brand.

4. Grappling Shinguards, the ones with the neoprene that slide/pull on.

5. A mouthpiece - I haven't had any issues with my shock doctor.

6. Competition MMA gloves - Combat Sports

7. Training MMA gloves - Combat Sports: http://www.mmatraining.tv/zencart/i...ath=65&zenid=3665144a9ca0dd1c6e9ca41774b8091b
most of these are pretty good

8. a good groin protecter - shock doctor has a nice one that comes with compression shorts

9. Mexican Style handwraps

10. Knee and elbow pads - you could go a couple of different ways with these, you could just do neoprene sleeves or you could get ones with more padding on them. It just depends what is most comfortable to you. Combat sports and Mat Monster have a selection of these.

11. Rashguards - if you can afford two then I would get both long and short sleeve, but if you only get one, then I would get long-sleeve. I would rather have more protection than not enough.

12. Fight shorts - Sprawl, Sinister, Clinch gear, etc all make good shorts. If you have friends that own fight shorts, I would suggest barrowing theirs to see which bran you like the best.

13. Focus Mitts and/or Thai pads - I imagine the gym that you will be training at will have some, but it is always nice to have a pair of your own so that you can train with a friend whenever you are not at the gym. You may miss a class or find it difficult to get to the gym sometimes or even not be able to afford the gym membership. If you have you own mitts/pads then you can train whenever you want to with a partner.

Rashguard - Manto or Hayabusa if you can afford them. Kaizen looks good too, but their rashies are brand new so they've been tested less than Manto's and Hayabusa's. They were on sale for half-price at Budo a couple of weeks ago, you missed out on a great deal. Long-sleeve or short sleeve is up to your personal preference.

Fight shorts - Sprawl, Nogi, Hitman. Best choice would be Sprawl if you can grab one of their V-Flex's on clearance sale. Good value.

Mouthguard - go with the custom guard. Starsguard might be willng to ship it to you if it's not finished before you move. Email them about it.

well so this is what i bought so far
2 hayabusa rash guards -1 long ,1 short (hayabusafightwear.com)
2 sprawl v-flex shorts on sale (SPRAWL.COM)
2 combat sports hybrid gloves (combatsports)
2 ringside hand wraps - 1mma, 1mexican (cagesidemma)
1 buddy lee speed rope (cagesidemma)
1 gymboss (cagesidemma)
1 combat sports mma grappling shinguards (cagesidemma)
1 shock doctor power ultra (cagesidemma)
1 shock doctor mouthguard case (cagesidemma)
1 shock doctor basiX compression short w/cup (cagesidemma)
and i also got a starsguard i am going to probably get if i did the fitting correctly

I would say that headgear is needed, but you would be ok without the knee/elbow pads

i think it would be good to get hit witout a headgear , to be more prepared for when you really get hit...

can't you say the same with shinguards?

shin guards protect both ways not just the person hitting
not having a headgear will only get me more physically hurt
not having a shinguard will have both people hurt

Yes you do need to know how it feels to block a kick shin to shin or how a punch feels (I don't know if you have been hit hard while wearing headgear, but it still doesn't feel good), but the main purpose for both headgear and shinguards is protection. I know this sounds obvious, but let me explain it in more detail. Headgear mainly protects against cuts, it also can protect against concussions (along with a good mouthpiece), having a bad cut or getting your bell rung too many times can cause you to miss a scheduled fight or a couple weeks of training. Shinguards also protect from performance hendering injuries. I know from experience that blocking kicks can sometimes lead to lower leg injuries/severe bruising that can actually hender your mobility especially if you ever take a shot on your lower shin/ankle (it can really bruise your ankle joint and slow you down for a while, no matter how well conditioned your shins are). Besides, if you have a fight coming up you want your legs to be free of injury, not bruised and tender. In a fight, you don't want to take a shot on the shin that was badly bruised during training and never had time to heal because you never wore shinguards in practice.

cagesidemma has training package deals for really really cheap you can get all the gear you could need for under 200 bucks. shorts gloves"boxing,mma" shins, mouth guard, cup the list goes on just check his stuff out

just done a some sparring with a friend..
lol now i feel i know the reason for a headgear

Buy a few more rash guards and shorts, as they are pretty pricey. Gloves and such arent too bad here and you can walk into some stores and have a vast selection of styles and colors too. Also buy a gi in the States as you can get cheaper ones there (if you plan to roll in the gi at all).

You are off to a good start though, good luck.

Buy a few more rash guards and shorts, as they are pretty pricey. Gloves and such arent too bad here and you can walk into some stores and have a vast selection of styles and colors too. Also buy a gi in the States as you can get cheaper ones there (if you plan to roll in the gi at all).

You are off to a good start though, good luck.

thanks, ill probably practice rolling without a gi
but i wouldve thought itd be cheaper gettin a gi in japan
you think i need more then 2 rashguards?
i think more shorts would be okay.. like 4 all together?

well so this is what i bought so far
2 hayabusa rash guards -1 long ,1 short (hayabusafightwear.com)
2 sprawl v-flex shorts on sale (SPRAWL.COM)
2 combat sports hybrid gloves (combatsports)
2 ringside hand wraps - 1mma, 1mexican (cagesidemma)
1 buddy lee speed rope (cagesidemma)
1 gymboss (cagesidemma)
1 combat sports mma grappling shinguards (cagesidemma)
1 shock doctor power ultra (cagesidemma)
1 shock doctor mouthguard case (cagesidemma)
1 shock doctor basiX compression short w/cup (cagesidemma)
and i also got a starsguard i am going to probably get if i did the fitting correctly

well i got my gloves from cagesidemma as well, combatsports shipping wouldve costed me 30 bucks and took twice as long as the shipping done on boomers site with shipping pretty much being free with the 10% discount code

and holy fuck... when people was talking about his customer service.. that wasnt no joke..
maybe it was even a little played down.. because damn... its amazing

Back