What would you do

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
Hi im having my first submission grappling match this saturday. Im 16 and ive been training for about 8 months, and last week i jammed my thumb pretty bad. I dont want to risk hurting it more, but i really want to compete. What would you do?

Tape it up and go for it. Take some ibuprofen before and after and ice it afterwards. And don't whine about it.

Just about every sport I did in high school, I was injured and it prepared me for MMA and BJJ. No one is 100% that trains religiously.

I'm not a fighter. I work in an office and manage people, but love combat sports and training.

Good luck guy! Let us know how you did.

Training and competing with injuries are all part of the game.

Go for it.

Check out Jean Jacques Machado. The guy only has a thumb and pinky on one hand is is and ADCC champ

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuLe9ObQm1g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuLe9ObQm1g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Rio De Janeiro Jiu-Jitsu State Championships Cruiser Weight Champion 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987,1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu National Championships Cruiser Weight Champion 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987,1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992

Sambo Wrestling Championships National and Pan American Cruiser Weight Champion 1993 Oklahoma - 1st Place 1994 San Diego, CA - 1st Place

Grappling Style Challenge Japan 1995 - Champion

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu American Championships 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998

Black Belt Super Challenge Championships 1998 - Champion

Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships 1999 - Champion - 66k-76k Division 1st Place Most Technical Fighter Award

Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships 2000 - 66k-76k Division Silver Medalist

Black Belt Super Challenge 2000 - Champion

Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships 2001 - Open Division Silver Medalist Best Match Award Fastest Submission Award

Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships 2005 - Superfight Runner Up

How did you jam your thumb? If it really hurts and isn't getting better you should check with your doctor... It makes no sense permanently damaging your body at 16 years old.

Thumbs? Who needs thumbs, go to walmart and buy a small axe.

No, seriously, just take some pain killers, wrap it, and fight through it.

shouldnt be a problem mate, i used to do my thumb in all the time playing basketball, it usually swells and goes a bit numb anyway, add ibrupofen to that and it barely hurts at all

Tape it up and go for it. Take some ibuprofen before and after and ice it afterwards. And don't whine about it.

Just about every sport I did in high school, I was injured and it prepared me for MMA and BJJ. No one is 100% that trains religiously.

I'm not a fighter. I work in an office and manage people, but love combat sports and training.

Good luck guy! Let us know how you did.
I agree with the first part of the reply. When the match starts you probably won't even think about the thumb.

The match is tomarrow. Im a bit nervous, it will be the half time show for the other mma fights.

tape and ice as long as you are shure it is not broke and/or you did not tear a muscle or ligament/tendon just dont tape it to the point that it intefiors with your grip

Well I won my match by decision last night. More people cheered for me than the other mma fights. But I have a new problem i broke my wrist.

Back