What would you do honestly, real life scenario

I don't know what I would do but my dad was once held up by an armed gunman at a gas station in Md. He chose to fight. The gun went off in the struggle but he still won. Maybe it's a stupid reason but it makes me more inclined to say I'd fight. Unless of course I've got a kid or wife/girlfriend with me.
your dad was lucky the gun didn't go off his way/head.

maybe I'll just hand over the dough, but given a day when i'm depressed and thinking there's nothing more to live for (I feel that on bad days), then the thug will surely get it before he gets my hard-earned money.

I remember reading in a local newspaper in that same country that an amateur boxer tried to be a hero when one passenger was being held up, boxed the thug but got stabbed and died on the scene. The guy who stabbed him was the pal of the thug sitting right behind the boxer. When you're going to die, you will...

I think it's rather clear.

99% of us would piss ourselves in 99% of such situations. (including me)

Should you fall in the 1% where you actually have the courage to attack the guy, it would be foolish and not worth it in 99% of the cases.

My manhood > my life.

I'm taking the guy down.

from what i know, if u die , your dick becomes limp like a noodle.

:icon_lol:

Being a 'Man' is a lot more complex than some pre-conceived macho notions you may have. Sometimes it means putting aside what you think is right and doing what should be done.
You think that guy working 9-5 in some deadbeat job to provide for his family is less a man than some pissant ,chiva-smoking, gangbanging ese ?
One is a lot easier to do than the other.......guess which one ?

Panamican , sorry bud but your dad was being an idiot. To save a coupla dollars or to be a hero he took a huge risk. Didnt think of his wife , his kids. The hardship n heartache his death would've brought.
all for what ? Saving a few bucks , have your name in a small column of the local paper, a good drinking story , to feed your ego ?
Now , u saving somebody's/own life ....like in war , in the street , like those guys from that flight on 9/11......yeah thats when its time to be a 'Man'. Any other time ? just hand the money n be on your way, go home to your family n do whats gotta be done.......shit its not like he wants to bumfuck you.

Last edited:
I think it's rather clear.

99% of us would piss ourselves in 99% of such situations. (including me)

Should you fall in the 1% where you actually have the courage to attack the guy, it would be foolish and not worth it in 99% of the cases.

just cuz the guy is giving you the money doesnt mean he's pissing myself.....well some might be , but some dont.

i would dim mak him, look off in the sunset and take all his women.

from what i know, if u die , your dick becomes limp like a noodle.

:icon_lol:

Being a 'Man' is a lot more complex than some pre-conceived macho notions you may have. Sometimes it means putting aside what you think is right and doing what should be done.
You think that guy working 9-5 in some deadbeat job to provide for his family is less a man than some pissant ,chiva-smoking, gangbanging ese ?
One is a lot easier to do than the other.......guess which one ?

Panamican , sorry bud but your dad was being an idiot. To save a coupla dollars or to be a hero he took a huge risk. Didnt think of his wife , his kids. The hardship n heartache his death would've brought.
all for what ? Saving a few bucks , have your name in a small column of the local paper, a good drinking story , to feed your ego ?
Now , u saving somebody's/own life ....like in war , in the street , like those guys from that flight on 9/11......yeah thats when its time to be a 'Man'. Any other time ? just hand the money n be on your way, go home to your family n do whats gotta be done.......shit its not like he wants to bumfuck you.

While I respect your entitlement to an opinion, I'm going to ask you not to insult my father. I think that's a fair level of respect even for an internet forum. I've seen enough of your posts to doubt that you'll be forthcoming with an apology.

My dad is no idiot, he's a well-respected physician who's written break through articles in his field of medicine. As to his personal background, he's from one of the poorest towns in Jamaica and when his family left Jamaica they moved to Bed-Stuy in NYC. He has a greater lifetime exposure to personal violence than most us ever will (thankfully). So when a man tried to steal his car (his first porsche & a personal symbol of how far he'd come) he had enough personal experience to realize that the car wasn't going to be the end of it.

We've talked about it and, in his opinion, the odds were enough in his favor to make the risk acceptable - give up the car and probably get shot or fight back and maybe get shot. He's worked hard enough in his life to get where he is and, to paraphrase, he's not giving anyone anything for free that he had to work to get. I'd like to believe I'd have the presence of mind to make an informed decision at the time but I don't know. I suspect I'd probably just give in to the threat and spend the rest of my life questioning the decision.

While I respect your entitlement to an opinion, I'm going to ask you not to insult my father. I think that's a fair level of respect even for an internet forum. I've seen enough of your posts to doubt that you'll be forthcoming with an apology.

My dad is no idiot, he's a well-respected physician who's written break through articles in his field of medicine. As to his personal background, he's from one of the poorest towns in Jamaica and when his family left Jamaica they moved to Bed-Stuy in NYC. He has a greater lifetime exposure to personal violence than most us ever will (thankfully). So when a man tried to steal his car (his first porsche & a personal symbol of how far he'd come) he had enough personal experience to realize that the car wasn't going to be the end of it.

We've talked about it and, in his opinion, the odds were enough in his favor to make the risk acceptable - give up the car and probably get shot or fight back and maybe get shot. He's worked hard enough in his life to get where he is and, to paraphrase, he's not giving anyone anything for free that he had to work to get. I'd like to believe I'd have the presence of mind to make an informed decision at the time but I don't know. I suspect I'd probably just give in to the threat and spend the rest of my life questioning the decision.

Panamaican, the guy is obviously a dickhead, just tell him to grow some balls and troll. You can't win an argument with a blabbermouth...

[panamaican;40781865] I've seen enough of your posts to doubt that you'll be forthcoming with an apology.

you didnt notice that i apologised before i said anything ?

My dad is no idiot, he's a well-respected physician who's written break through articles in his field of medicine.

huh ? wtf does that have to do with anything ? I didnt say he was retard or a mouth breather , i said he made an idiotic decision.

*Newsflash* While we all like to think our dads our perfect , reality is they all make stupid decisions at one time or another (some more than others).

Nobodies perfect. It's Ok.

As to his personal background, he's from one of the poorest towns in Jamaica and when his family left Jamaica they moved to Bed-Stuy in NYC. He has a greater lifetime exposure to personal violence than most us ever will (thankfully). So when a man tried to steal his car (his first porsche & a personal symbol of how far he'd come) he had enough personal experience to realize that the car wasn't going to be the end of it.

yet he still decided to fight over it ? something he probably already had insurance for ?

We've talked about it and, in his opinion, the odds were enough in his favor to make the risk acceptable - give up the car and probably get shot or fight back and maybe get shot

It seems like he just says that to justify to himself why he risked so much for so little.

why does he think he would've got shot AFTER giving the keys ? If the robber was hell bent on shooting him anyways wouldnt he have fired first ? It would've been pretty shitty if that robber had just wanted to scare your dad n steal his car but instead shot him cuz your dad was trying to be a hero.
Im pretty sure your opinion would've been a lot different if he had died that day. You would've thought of him as an idiot for giving his life for a goddamn car n leaving you guys behind.

He's worked hard enough in his life to get where he is and, to paraphrase, he's not giving anyone anything for free that he had to work to get.

Well u gotta remember , that robber aint asking shit for free....hes risking 15 to life in jail !

Naw , im just joking. Still , your ol man's lucky he aint run into the real hardcore pooks. Guys out there who'll stab you up for 5 dollars and your shoes. I aint joking.

I'd like to believe I'd have the presence of mind to make an informed decision at the time but I don't know. I suspect I'd probably just give in to the threat and spend the rest of my life questioning the decision

Like i said...its not like the guy wants to bum rape you. If he does then thats different though.

Anyways , opinions are like assholes. Everyone's got one.
Mine is your dad acted the fool and was immature. Of course luck bailed him out but all's well that ends well.

I would just hand over the money. In reality it's my fault for carrying $1000 cash in a 3rd world country. I was raised in Mexico, and even though it's not comparable to the violence of other places, you'll still get killed over $20M.N (~ $2) for being a dumbass

If you were to be brave/stupid/manly/heroic/etc(depends on perspective) to attack the person with the knife, first thing in your mind should be "I'm going to get stabbed", if you can't bear that thought, or accept it, theres no point in even playing dumb...

Even at that range, if I i had to choose (assuming theres no other variable or option) to comfront someone with a gun or a knife, I would pick the gun all day... Guns have only one "kill area", they take time/space pointing, they jam, they run out of bullets, just to name a few. a knife, doesn't jam, never runs out of bullets, has multi-danger areas, is faster to point/slash, and provably the most dangerous part, they are easy to loose sight of...

Oh, and yeah I've been robbed but for me the proirity goes like this
Me>ppl with me>legalities>Objects>atacker

though I still curse at the fuckers who took my Ipod, and their pitbul lol, even though it wasn't the dogs fault.

-Hezig-

Weirds me out when I see "martial artists" saying they'd hand their shit over. Am I the only person here who doesn't hand over his stuff based on principle alone. The scum of the earth shouldn't be able to make a living doing that. Two guys tried to rob me once when I was walking home from a class - I had had surgery on my shoulder and my arm was in a sling. This car is driving down the street, pulls over and parks. Two guys jump out, block my path, and say, "Hey dude, you got any money we could have?" I pushed my way inbetween them and kept walking. I was thankful I didn't have to fight them with one arm, because I probably would've died, but if some piece of garbage is gonna and try and take my shit, I'm gonna make him hurt for it.

I am a "martial artist" but that does not make me(in my mind at least)some sort of shining paladin of truth and justice,what i hope it does give me is some inkling of the potential dire consequences of physical violence and the difficulties involved of stopping any assailant let alone an armed one .
I don't know if it film,TV or just the times we live in but a lot of people in society seem to have a wholey misplaced sense of 'bad assery',if the martial arts have given me anything its stripping away that false notion .
So if i or my family were attacked by some hypothetical knife nut and i had no option i would go nuclear and hope my training would help me come out of confontation alive,if i could avoid that by handing over some stinking money then i wouldn't hesitate .

I am a "martial artist" but that does not make me(in my mind at least)some sort of shining paladin of truth and justice,what i hope it does give me is some inkling of the potential dire consequences of physical violence and the difficulties involved of stopping any assailant let alone an armed one .
I don't know if it film,TV or just the times we live in but a lot of people in society seem to have a wholey misplaced sense of 'bad assery',if the martial arts have given me anything its stripping away that false notion .
So if i or my family were attacked by some hypothetical knife nut and i had no option i would go nuclear and hope my training would help me come out of confontation alive,if i could avoid that by handing over some stinking money then i wouldn't hesitate .

^ exactly.

There's no way in hell I'd risk not seeing my kids
grow up over some cash.

I would hand him like $200 or something and hope that was enough. If he saw the rest then yes you probably would have to fight the guy but not for money in an unfamiliar country.

if it was a gun id give him the money. but a knife id risk it. an arms length away. id put all my speed and power into one left hook to the chin. if it landed it would easily knock him out. if he dodges it then i grab for the knife hand and try to wrestle it away and hit him on the ground. id prolly take a couple cuts but nothing too serious and itd be worth it for 1 G. the risk is worth it imo

if it was a gun id give him the money. but a knife id risk it. an arms length away. id put all my speed and power into one left hook to the chin. if it landed it would easily knock him out. if he dodges it then i grab for the knife hand and try to wrestle it away and hit him on the ground. id prolly take a couple cuts but nothing too serious and itd be worth it for 1 G. the risk is worth it imo

^ :icon_lol:

Have you ever seen what a knife can really do? Wrestling with a knife is asking to get major vein or artery cut.

To put this in perspective, would you try to grab someone's jabbing hand in a fight? That is easier than grabbing a knife wielding hand.

Have you ever seen what a knife can really do? Wrestling with a knife is asking to get major vein or artery cut.

To put this in perspective, would you try to grab someone's jabbing hand in a fight? That is easier than grabbing a knife wielding hand.

Agreed.... I cant say i have ever watched a knife fight...... nor do i have any inclination to do so. Pretty simple for me, guy has knife, asks for my money, "here ya go buddy".... you obviously need it more than i do if your on a public bus swinging around a blade....

that said, i am currently spending some time in TX, im pretty sure if a guy pulled out a knife and started demanding money here in TX...... Id just sit back and wait for someone to shoot his ass, which inevitably would happen, seeing that almost everybody i have met in TX carries a firearm and is licensed to do so........ I think more people in TX carry guns than some third world war torn countries..... shit is great.

Back