What would you do honestly, real life scenario

I can assure you that the second part rarely, rarely happens. A 230 pound muscular shaven headed white guy is not an oddity in America, but I look like a freak in Asia, and there are not a lot of people bigger than me, let along bigger and with a knife and wanting my wallet. When I go upcountry in Thailand, children follow me around villages, and people point and stare.

I don't know about Austin, TX. But 'round here, 230lbs muscular guy is not the norm, most of them are overweight 230lbs.
_

As for the situation, don't try to stand out in the first place. I would just give the money to them.

If you are in a dire situation where you cannot run or bribe them out of stabbing you, take off your jacket and make it into a two-handed shield (like a matador). Proceed to use it to defend the hell out of yourself. Or if you have time to undo your belt, use that as a weapon too.

If you don't have your jacket or belt on here are some options that I was taught:

Flying Cartwheel + Reversed Neck Triangle Choke Drop
difficulty rating: 9.5/10
effectiveness: 10/10
type: All-range grappling (Brazilian Ju-Jitsu based)

1. You jump (fly) over the attacker by performing a cartwheel.

2. Soon as your face is facing his upper buttocks/mid waist (it depends on how tall or short you are), lock your legs into a triangle choke position on to the attacker's neck.

3. The grip of the triangle and the force of the cartwheel together will create a drop + flip/roll motion.

4. You should be sitting down still locking on the triangle.

5. Your attacker should have been DDT'ed. [*]

[*] If the attacker has not been KO'ed, there is a chance for the attacker to still stab you in the lower or upper legs (left or right, depending on which hand the knife is being held). Quickly adjust the Triangle Choke by doing a roll to the side of which the knife is being held. Meanwhile, perform a Kimura to secure his/her knife wielding hand.

After the Kimura has been successfully locked, do a quick rising turn (to the opposite side of the knife; you do not want to break his/her arm bones) by releasing the triangle choke and land on the attacker's back. You will get a secure back mount while controlling the hand.

Maintain the position while your local authorities come for the arrest.

NOTE: This move can be modified into a thrusting head butt.

Modified Hopping Scissor Kick/Knee
difficulty rating: 6.5/10
effectiveness: 7.5/10
type: Mid-range/long-range striking (Taekwondo and Muay Thai based)

1. Do a hopping Crescent Kick (with your lead leg) and disarm the attacker.

2. Quickly, follow up with another Crescent Kick or a Flying Knee to the attacker's face.

2(a). If you chose to use the Flying Knee, follow up with a dropping side elbow.

3. Simply follow up with various attacks such as face stomps or soccer kicks to the head.

Maintain and control the aggression while your local authorities come for the arrest.

NOTE: Make sure you have shoes on to perform this attack.

Flying Arm Bar
difficulty rating: 10/10
effectiveness: 8/10
type: Close-range grappling (Judo and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu Based)

1. Catch the attacker's arm by performing a Flying Arm Bar.

2. Break the arm, because it is hard to maintain a secure position.

3. Run.

NOTE: It is best used when the attacker is performing a straight thrust attack.

Surprise Sand
difficulty rating: 1/10
effectiveness: N/A
type: Russian SAMBO, MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) and Pro Wrestling Based

1. You may seem like you are reaching for your wallet, but you are actually reaching for an open bag of sand in your compartment or corduroy pocket.

2. Blast the open bag of sand into your attacker's face; blinding him/her.

3. Follow up with any kinds of attack.

If unsuccessful, do any of the three moves above.

NOTE: you can substitute an open bag of sand for various material kinds; such as, ground-up glass, black pepper, onion powder etc.

Merry-Go-Around
difficulty rating: 8.5/10
effectiveness: 8.5/10
type: Mid-range and Long-range weapons tatic (Chinese Gongfu based)

Some Sherdoggers the brought up the "dozen foreigners or gangsters" problem. Realistically speaking, it is very hard to defend against +1 attackers, but with this technique, you can keep them at a reasonably safe distance.

Unless you start shit in Shaolin temples, you'd be advantageous with something called Monkey's Fist.

Monkey's fist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Photocopy several $50 & $100 bills and put them in an expensive looking wallet. (Use this as your decoy)
Put your real money inside fake shampoo bottles or fake shaving canisters.
People trying to rob a bus are not going to be concerned about stealing shampoo.

i believed my super human mad dog muay thai skills would help me to.
never stopped a blade from entering my chest, my rib stopped it.
you see a knife dont go up against it.
i have said it many times here, i lost 2 friends that way right in front of me.
my wifes brother has been stuck 5 times, last year in the heart but he lived.
he has no idea how to use a knife but he has managed to stick many people himself so he got his own back.
you dont go up against a weopon. the street is not a movie.

Photocopy several $50 & $100 bills and put them in an expensive looking wallet. (Use this as your decoy)
People trying to rob a bus are not going to be concerned about stealing shampoo.

You get caught with photocopied currency ....you're going to jail.

i believed my super human mad dog muay thai skills would help me to.
never stopped a blade from entering my chest, my rib stopped it.
you see a knife dont go up against it.
i have said it many times here, i lost 2 friends that way right in front of me.
my wifes brother has been stuck 5 times, last year in the heart but he lived.
he has no idea how to use a knife but he has managed to stick many people himself so he got his own back.
you dont go up against a weopon. the street is not a movie.

yup...then you're living proof of the flip side of what i tell people. Its not that easy to kill someone by stabbing him. Its not like the movies where the guy sticks him in the chest n the victim goes UHHH!! n dies.
Its messy , the knife dont go in , blade hits a rib/bone n breaks/gets stuck , you stab him and a muscle just clamps down on that blade and for the life of you , you cant pull it back.
Most quick deaths by knives are because of a severed artery (rare) or multiple trauma to vital organs (liver/heart/lungs) rare.
Most common cause of death is organ failure brought upon by hemorrhaging to death...................because of what i said....ppl get stabbed and dont feel it/treat it till its too late.

Ehhh I didn't want to respond to this topic at first since every response was a joke but I guess I could.

Well, in a situation like that, I'd probably 9 times out of 10 just give them what they want.

But if I truly, truly felt or saw a moment where that guy was completely vulnerable, and something in my mind just screamed "NOW!", I'd probably go for it.

I'm assuming in this situation you'd be pretty close. He'd probably be standing pretty casually in front of you right? You'd have a lot of targets...it might not be all that hard, in a moment where you face possibly death, to remove distractions of your conscious mind and just react on instinct or adrenaline or whatever it is that sometimes helps people survive these things.

Ehhh I didn't want to respond to this topic at first since every response was a joke but I guess I could.

Well, in a situation like that, I'd probably 9 times out of 10 just give them what they want.

But if I truly, truly felt or saw a moment where that guy was completely vulnerable, and something in my mind just screamed "NOW!", I'd probably go for it.

I'm assuming in this situation you'd be pretty close. He'd probably be standing pretty casually in front of you right? You'd have a lot of targets...it might not be all that hard, in a moment where you face possibly death, to remove distractions of your conscious mind and just react on instinct or adrenaline or whatever it is that sometimes helps people survive these things.

the key word is sometimes.
Sometimes instinct can get u killed too.

he wasnt facing death. He was just being robbed...along with 50 others. Unless the robber decided to go on a stabbing spree TS wasnt facing death, however if he had acted on his 'instinct' he would definitely be in more serious danger then.

he did survive this incident.
He handed him the money and waved goodbye to his watch.
He also learned (hopefully) a valuable life lesson of not taking valuables and currencies to lil shitpot places.

you guys are overthinking this shit.

Getting robbed ? Hand over the money. Life > Money.

In immediate danger ? Fight tooth n nail and/or run.

Preserving Your Life > Fear

the key word is sometimes.
Sometimes instinct can get u killed too.

he wasnt facing death. He was just being robbed...along with 50 others. Unless the robber decided to go on a stabbing spree TS wasnt facing death, however if he had acted on his 'instinct' he would definitely be in more serious danger then.

he did survive this incident.
He handed him the money and waved goodbye to his watch.
He also learned (hopefully) a valuable life lesson of not taking valuables and currencies to lil shitpot places.

you guys are overthinking this shit.

Getting robbed ? Hand over the money. Life > Money.

In immediate danger ? Fight tooth n nail and/or run.

Preserving Your Life > Fear

Well the sometimes wasn't referring to just situations where you need to protect yourself from someone trying to hurt you, I was thinking of any situation that requires action...

An example of somebody who has definitely spent some time in 3rd world countries as an outsider........ I can't say i have ever carried fake currency, but i would only carry a minimal amount of currency in my wallet at anytime........ It is also wise to put CCards, passport etc in a different place than your wallet, and you better make plenty of copies of your passport and put them several different places that you can access....... passports are stolen all the time, and if you end up without one it is a real pain in the ass trying to get back out of the country your in, even worse if your in a country that doesn't have an embassy for your country of origin......... I got stuck in Kathmandu for 10 days trying to sort out lost/stolen passport/visa issues so i could get back home..........

I would take my Rolex off and cram it up my ass. If the assailant didn't see, WIN. If he did see he may not want it. If he does want it at least he has to handle your shit, Win.

I would hope i would be smart enough to just give up my wallet...

Now if the person was to touch my wife outside of getting her money I would atack... and sombody would be going to the hospital.... but it would probly be me though...

I would take my Rolex off and cram it up my ass. If the assailant didn't see, WIN. If he did see he may not want it. If he does want it at least he has to handle your shit, Win.
walken.png

Approves.

I can assure you that the second part rarely, rarely happens. A 230 pound muscular shaven headed white guy is not an oddity in America, but I look like a freak in Asia, and there are not a lot of people bigger than me, let along bigger and with a knife and wanting my wallet. When I go upcountry in Thailand, children follow me around villages, and people point and stare.

It does rarely happen, but in some places there are families of huge people, generally in villages in the philippines with a lot of spanish blood. apparently, or so mum said.

Anyway, if I was attacked like this I would hand them the money, but if I was in immediate danger. Dirt in the eyes while screaming DISORIENT!! and then run like a man wench

Weirds me out when I see "martial artists" saying they'd hand their shit over. Am I the only person here who doesn't hand over his stuff based on principle alone. The scum of the earth shouldn't be able to make a living doing that. Two guys tried to rob me once when I was walking home from a class - I had had surgery on my shoulder and my arm was in a sling. This car is driving down the street, pulls over and parks. Two guys jump out, block my path, and say, "Hey dude, you got any money we could have?" I pushed my way inbetween them and kept walking. I was thankful I didn't have to fight them with one arm, because I probably would've died, but if some piece of garbage is gonna and try and take my shit, I'm gonna make him hurt for it.

they say you should not judge. Sure you will teach them a lesson, but 100% of the time, if it isn't a lesson in compassion, they will only truly deep down, once the opportunity presents its self, become even stronger of a villain.

However, there is much to say for following the heart, I just don't suggest making a practice of system philosophy of beating down criminals, thinking it will change society for the better. I let God do that, and I sleep better for it.

That being said, if I was looking for a power trip, or a major jump in confidence, I would try to disarm the fellow, otherwise, obviously it isn't worth it.

Ghandi would be a good example here if you are actually willing to risk your life for change by an example of goodness.

It is easy to "beat someone's ass" to show how "good" you are. :)

It would depend on how depressed I was at the moment. If I was depressed, and therefore more susceptible to anger and self righteousness, I would probably lash out for the surge in power, if I was confident enough to do so, or I was desperate enough.

If I was having a good day, I'd look him in the eye and say here you go buddy. I'd let him know in my eyes I wasn't afraid of him. And I would show no fear.

As a compromise between the two. If your eyes show no fear, you could probably tell him you will give him nothing, and stand your ground, until he grabs another hostage that is.

Somewhat of a touchy subject here. Since it's online, I figure everyone is just typing because it's fun and relaxing, as am I

lol I carry like 40 bucks on me, I really don't see the point in getting stabbed over 40 bucks. There's no loss in dignity for any fighter/martial artist to give up some dough as opposed to getting shanked by a drugged out addict high on PCP.

But if I didn't live in MD I'd get a CCW and problem would be solved because I would just carry a 1911.

I don't know what I would do but my dad was once held up by an armed gunman at a gas station in Md. He chose to fight. The gun went off in the struggle but he still won. Maybe it's a stupid reason but it makes me more inclined to say I'd fight. Unless of course I've got a kid or wife/girlfriend with me.

Last edited:
Back