What would you do honestly, real life scenario

I usually carry a throwaway wallet for these situations.

just keep a couple of business cards a few coins and some small notes and hand it over when asked.

sux having to carry 2 wallets all the time though

I probably wouldn't risk it. Taking him down but risking being stabbed isn't worth $1000 to me. Look at it this way, say you have a 50% chance of winning but the question was posed another way: would you, for $1000, agree to flip a coin and if it's heads you get stabbed in the chest? I wouldn't.

I would show the robber this pic.
cat-watermelon.jpg
once he was distracted I'd take his wallet and knife them flick him in the eye and escape

Fuck that. If a South Korean hits me, im knocking his ass out

Try that in Thailand and see what happens. From what I've heard, it ends with a dozen random Thais putting you in the hospital.

The point is, in the situation presented, you may be in serious legal trouble even if you overpower him and save everyone from the robber.

You should have caught him in a kimura

sherdog never ceases to impress...lmao

yeah lets let a dude with a 5 inch hyper-sharpened piece of metal get close enough for us to try armbars...i mean fuck it works in the octagon-- should work in the streets, right? please lemme know how that technique works out for you in this situation

rrrrrrroflmao

then again for your sake i hope you were being sarcastic

I'd try to slip atleast $950 in my arse crack. Honestly I would not happily hand over that much money, I know it is my life in my hands but I would exhuast all my options before I'm forced to hand it over. I'm not saying I would try beat the guy up but if he was infront of me not facing me I would seriously consider running or punching him in the back of the head. If possilbe I would try help him out. $1000 is alot to just hand over like that.

well first of all , whenever i travel abroad (especially Asia) i keep money in two places.
One will be hidden by my thigh/groin (fuck a moneybelt ...every idiot knows about how foreigners love those) , the other will be in my fanny pack (yes i wear one...convenience) in whats called a "Chicago Bankroll".
what you do is take a 100/50/20 dollar bill and fold a stack of 40-50 dollar bills/mixed monopoly money/local money inside.Then wrap it up with a rubber band n there you go. Instant decoy.
I used that shit back when i was hustling pool in Florida in late 90's early 2000's. Going into some mean/strange poolrooms you dont know if you'll be allowed to walk out with your winnings. When you're leaving is when the problem starts. Some asswipes , when they realise that they got hustled would get pretty pissed !
I only had to use it once though. 3-4 guys made a move on me and i just flung my Chicago Roll at them ,before they even got to me ,and ran.
who do you think they're gonna chase ....me or that fat roll they saw sailing through the air ?
Im sure at least one of them must've popped a vein when he realised he got double-hustled .

:icon_lol:

i think i made like 8-900 bucks from that room ....minus the 70-80 dollar roll !

as for the knife thing ....fuck it. His reach is longer , you cant 'block' a knife and worst of all .....when u get stabbed you dont realise it. You could have three or four holes in your chest and you dont feel it, keep going then an hour later ..you're a hero but dead.

If you do get attacked by a knife weilding fool and you have no choice then what you want to do (and this is gold here) is take off your jacket/sweater/top and wrap it around your forearm quickly. Use your forearm like a shield ,u cant die from getting cut there unlike your torso which is your main priority. Dont worry about your head so much cuz its easy to move away and your skull is an excellent guard. PROTECT YOUR TORSO AT ALL TIMES.
Your two choices are 1) Run away ......but only if you have some distance on him. If you just turn then u risk getting stabbed in the back (very painfull , potentially lethal)
2) fight concentrate on his knife hand AND WATCH THE KNIFE. You dont wanna assume the knife's in his right hand , he might have switched it to his left.
when he tries to slash/stab take it on your covered forearm. The blade has a good chance of getting caught n stuck in the cover .

ive been in a few knife fights (tough life !) and i can tell u my left arm still has 3-4 slash scars on it and i have one right through my right earlobe where this kid tried to skewer my head like a kabob (not a slash but a stab). I still get tingles thinking what if it had been an inch lower and in my ear canal.......remember what an earache feels like ? yuck.
but still ....no stab marks on my torso. Never had to go to a hospital.......i take that as a plus.

ive also known a few guys who aint around anymore cuz they got stabbed. Thats the same scenario i listed. Got into a fight. Didnt care opp had a knife. Got stabbed didnt feel it. 2-3 minutes of fighting later they stop (like all streetfights). 30 minutes an hour later ..collapse dead.

Remember self defense is a mindset not a skill. You see a knife weilding guy .....do the arm wrap thing , prepare to fight but hope to run. Back away slowly speaking calmly n firmly. Tell him u dont want no trouble , if he wants your money give it to him (why the fuck would u wear a Rolex in a 3rd world bus ?), if he wants to fight tell him "no" , "you the boss" whatever.
Hell , look over his shoulder and yell "GET HIM" . The guy will be so keyed up he'll look back n thats when u do your best roadrunner imitation.............meep meep !

that being said

Life > Desire to stay injury free > Money

Wow I like the idea of the chicago roll. I would never keep $1000 in my wallet and I wouldn't use a money bag either. But if I did have $1000 on me I'd do everything I can to delay it before I have to give it away.

Where you're a tourist in an Asian country, commuting in one of those local transportation with local passengers (they have buses, jeepney, etc) and you have $1000 in your pocket. Suddenly one guy announced a stick up, and asked for everyone's money. You're an arm's length to the guy, and he's got a buttefly knife in one hand. He's a bit muscular than you are. You know ANY striking art.

WOULD YOU RISK EVERYTHING AND TAKE THE GUY DOWN, or hand over your money that easily?

(Almost 10 years ago, without any martial arts experience, I happen to encounter this scenario, but not money, instead, my expensive cellphone and Rolex was taken. Looking back, I believe I could have taken the guy down easy with my MA skills now, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk...)

This happened to 4 of my friends when they went to Tijuana. They walked across the border and took a taxi to a club. After the club they took another taxi and the taxi driver took them into an alley and pointed a gun at them. Needless to say, they all gave their money to them.

Although its different from a knife, I would never risk my life in these situations, especially when you are on foreign territory.

The last time I was a tourist in an Asian country I was drunk quite a bit. Ideally, I would give up my cash and go on my way, but with enough booze in my system there is no telling how I would react.

This. I'd like to think I'm wise enough to not do anything stupid in a situation like that, but with a little bit of liquid courage in my system....Who knows what would happen.

Janilane;40617001] but I don't get the 'wrap you shirt thing in your arm', how can you do that in a matter of seconds when attacker decided to stab you!???

like i said , self defense is a mindset. You shouldnt be waiting to be attacked and then cover your forearm........you do it the moment you see that knife.

That guy got on the bus and said "Ya'll give me your money" bam ..right then. I wish i could show you but it only takes 2-3 seconds , literally (lol i just did it right now to see if i remember it correctly :D )
Try it , you know how fast people whip off their shirt when they wanna fight ? just like that except dont remove the shirt off your left arm. If you're a righty your left arm comes out last anyway , dont. Leave it on there and use your free right hand to quickly go round 2-3 times. It doesnt have to be pretty and neat (in fact the messier the better).

I think what should be done is grab your jacket and use that to cover his attacking arm with knife, that might prove useful.

that doesnt work so good (but better than nothing). The problem is that a slash or stab will go right through to your hand or arm or torso. The blade has even less of a chance of getting caught in anything and he'll just slash again and most importantly , to me, your other hand is occupied in defending rather than attacking.
It should be like a shield n sword kind of situation. If both your hands are just defending then guess what.....hes gonna keep attacking.

well first of all , whenever i travel abroad (especially Asia) i keep money in two places.
One will be hidden by my thigh/groin (fuck a moneybelt ...every idiot knows about how foreigners love those) , the other will be in my fanny pack (yes i wear one...convenience) in whats called a "Chicago Bankroll".
what you do is take a 100/50/20 dollar bill and fold a stack of 40-50 dollar bills/mixed monopoly money/local money inside.Then wrap it up with a rubber band n there you go. Instant decoy.
I used that shit back when i was hustling pool in Florida in late 90's early 2000's. Going into some mean/strange poolrooms you dont know if you'll be allowed to walk out with your winnings. When you're leaving is when the problem starts. Some asswipes , when they realise that they got hustled would get pretty pissed !
I only had to use it once though. 3-4 guys made a move on me and i just flung my Chicago Roll at them ,before they even got to me ,and ran.
who do you think they're gonna chase ....me or that fat roll they saw sailing through the air ?
Im sure at least one of them must've popped a vein when he realised he got double-hustled .

i think i made like 8-900 bucks from that room ....minus the 70-80 dollar roll !

as for the knife thing ....fuck it. His reach is longer , you cant 'block' a knife and worst of all .....when u get stabbed you dont realise it. You could have three or four holes in your chest and you dont feel it, keep going then an hour later ..you're a hero but dead.

If you do get attacked by a knife weilding fool and you have no choice then what you want to do (and this is gold here) is take off your jacket/sweater/top and wrap it around your forearm quickly. Use your forearm like a shield ,u cant die from getting cut there unlike your torso which is your main priority. Dont worry about your head so much cuz its easy to move away and your skull is an excellent guard. PROTECT YOUR TORSO AT ALL TIMES.
Your two choices are 1) Run away ......but only if you have some distance on him. If you just turn then u risk getting stabbed in the back (very painfull , potentially lethal)
2) fight concentrate on his knife hand AND WATCH THE KNIFE. You dont wanna assume the knife's in his right hand , he might have switched it to his left.
when he tries to slash/stab take it on your covered forearm. The blade has a good chance of getting caught n stuck in the cover .

ive been in a few knife fights (tough life !) and i can tell u my left arm still has 3-4 slash scars on it and i have one right through my right earlobe where this kid tried to skewer my head like a kabob (not a slash but a stab). I still get tingles thinking what if it had been an inch lower and in my ear canal.......remember what an earache feels like ? yuck.
but still ....no stab marks on my torso. Never had to go to a hospital.......i take that as a plus.

ive also known a few guys who aint around anymore cuz they got stabbed. Thats the same scenario i listed. Got into a fight. Didnt care opp had a knife. Got stabbed didnt feel it. 2-3 minutes of fighting later they stop (like all streetfights). 30 minutes an hour later ..collapse dead.

Remember self defense is a mindset not a skill. You see a knife weilding guy .....do the arm wrap thing , prepare to fight but hope to run. Back away slowly speaking calmly n firmly. Tell him u dont want no trouble , if he wants your money give it to him (why the fuck would u wear a Rolex in a 3rd world bus ?), if he wants to fight tell him "no" , "you the boss" whatever.
Hell , look over his shoulder and yell "GET HIM" . The guy will be so keyed up he'll look back n thats when u do your best roadrunner imitation.............meep meep !

that being said

Life > Desire to stay injury free > Money

damn dude you are a fucking baller

How do you say "here's my wallet" in 'Asian'?

I have been robbed twice in my life and although ive never been fortunate/stupid enough to have had a grand in cash in my back pocket when its happened i don't think it would have changed my reaction,ie i handed over my wallet with an absolute minimum of fuss .
If your such a bad ass mother lover that your confident you can take a knifeman down each and every time,or your self worth is so screwed up you think a

Personally i'd scream ''THATS MY PURSE'' ''I DON'T KNOW YOU!!!'' then proceed to kick his scrotum in

I picture the scenario:
dude bullrushes knife-man...stab,stab,stab.
Manages to somehow get top position...stab,stab,stab.

Family receives notice of death from USA embassy.

Where you're a tourist in an Asian country, commuting in one of those local transportation with local passengers (they have buses, jeepney, etc) and you have $1000 in your pocket. Suddenly one guy announced a stick up, and asked for everyone's money. You're an arm's length to the guy, and he's got a buttefly knife in one hand. He's a bit muscular than you are. You know ANY striking art.

WOULD YOU RISK EVERYTHING AND TAKE THE GUY DOWN, or hand over your money that easily?

(Almost 10 years ago, without any martial arts experience, I happen to encounter this scenario, but not money, instead, my expensive cellphone and Rolex was taken. Looking back, I believe I could have taken the guy down easy with my MA skills now, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk...)

Well, first off, having 1000$ in cash and wearing a rolex in a bus in third world Asia is like walking around Harlem wearing a white cloak robe and cone hat, or strolling through Marjah, Afghanistan wearing an "I HEART W" T-shirt...... your concern need not be the guy with the knife...... Instead it should be the arrogant, ethnocentric attitude all to common in many Westerner's. Ya ain't in Kansas no more Toto!...... Stupidity is the leading cause of death for tourists.

Well, first off, having 1000$ in cash and wearing a rolex in a bus in third world Asia is like walking around Harlem wearing a white cloak robe and cone hat,

well i wouldnt go that far. One is stupidity and one is rascism.

a better analogy would be ......walking around having 1000$ in cash and wearing a rolex in a bus in third world Asia is like walking around having 1000$ in cash and wearing a rolex in a bus in Harlem.......at night.

you wouldnt do that back home...why the fuck would you do it abroad ?

well i wouldnt go that far. One is stupidity and one is rascism.

a better analogy would be ......walking around having 1000$ in cash and wearing a rolex in a bus in third world Asia is like walking around having 1000$ in cash and wearing a rolex in a bus in Harlem.......at night.

you wouldnt do that back home...why the fuck would you do it abroad ?

Well put!:icon_chee

Although i would say stupidity and racism are one in the same, they both show a serious lack of intellect!

I have been drunk in some pretty shaddy parts of the world and never robbed, usually when I am that drunk I don't have money left:p

Back