What would you do honestly, real life scenario

J

Janilane

Where you're a tourist in an Asian country, commuting in one of those local transportation with local passengers (they have buses, jeepney, etc) and you have $1000 in your pocket. Suddenly one guy announced a stick up, and asked for everyone's money. You're an arm's length to the guy, and he's got a buttefly knife in one hand. He's a bit muscular than you are. You know ANY striking art.

WOULD YOU RISK EVERYTHING AND TAKE THE GUY DOWN, or hand over your money that easily?

(Almost 10 years ago, without any martial arts experience, I happen to encounter this scenario, but not money, instead, my expensive cellphone and Rolex was taken. Looking back, I believe I could have taken the guy down easy with my MA skills now, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk...)

Help him take everyone else's money, then split the loot and get some hookers.

Any other way would be foolish.

Help him take everyone else's money, then split the loot and get some hookers.

Any other way would be foolish.

LOL, so your hard earned money will go for nothing, not a bad idea, just letting those years and years of training in Martial Arts go for nothing in the most dire situation. tsk tsk...

i would dim mak him right in the dome and take his money and expensive rolex

...just letting those years and years of training in Martial Arts go for nothing in the most dire situation. tsk tsk...
Stop embarrassing yourself, kiddo. Keep your hero fantasies where they belong... in your head.

In the future, when you've actually accumulated "years and years of training in Martial Arts", take a look back at this thread and you'll understand what I'm saying.

The last time I was a tourist in an Asian country I was drunk quite a bit. Ideally, I would give up my cash and go on my way, but with enough booze in my system there is no telling how I would react.

Where you're a tourist in an Asian country, commuting in one of those local transportation with local passengers (they have buses, jeepney, etc) and you have $1000 in your pocket. Suddenly one guy announced a stick up, and asked for everyone's money. You're an arm's length to the guy, and he's got a buttefly knife in one hand. He's a bit muscular than you are. You know ANY striking art.

WOULD YOU RISK EVERYTHING AND TAKE THE GUY DOWN, or hand over your money that easily?

(Almost 10 years ago, without any martial arts experience, I happen to encounter this scenario, but not money, instead, my expensive cellphone and Rolex was taken. Looking back, I believe I could have taken the guy down easy with my MA skills now, but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk...)
From a more analystical point of view, as a tourist, it may mean you are different colored (say white) and that would most likely set you apart as you would have more money than other people. Also, you do not know who are the accomplices, for all you know they are just waiting for anyone to rebel and you have no clue what else the guy is carrying, he may not draw a gun due to it being so close quarters. I would most likely have given the money, when I go to other countries, I always try to keep money in 2 separate places (e.g. arch of foot pocket in sock) so if anything ever happens to me, I may be able to stay at a place or get in contact using a payphone. Although I am tempted to say I would try to superman punch, it may not end well.

Choosing to attack him in that situation is absolutely the stupidest thing you could do. First, he's got a knife and you don't, so even most stand-up styles are going to be extremely problematic. Every punch you throw gives him a shot to slicing open the inside of your arm and watching you bleed out quickly. Beating him is not impossible, but it's a vastly different scenario than anything you've trained for UNLESS you've trained against knife-wielding opponents. Secondly, you have no idea who his accomplices are: does he have some hiding on this bus? Does he have guys outside with guns? Lastly, let's get practical. Even if you beat him, even if you know 100% that you will, what are the local laws like? Can he have you arrested? Are the police crooked?

Short version: you have probably not trained for this (knife-wielding opponent), you have limited situational awareness, and you probably don't know the legal repercussions. I'm in South Korea right now and one of the things you get told here is, if a Korean hits you, DO NOT hit back. If you hit a Korean, even in self-defense, you are going to jail. So think about all those things before you decide whether or not to hand over that $1000.

I'm in South Korea right now and one of the things you get told here is, if a Korean hits you, DO NOT hit back. If you hit a Korean, even in self-defense, you are going to jail.

Fuck that. If a South Korean hits me, im knocking his ass out

well first of all , whenever i travel abroad (especially Asia) i keep money in two places.
One will be hidden by my thigh/groin (fuck a moneybelt ...every idiot knows about how foreigners love those) , the other will be in my fanny pack (yes i wear one...convenience) in whats called a "Chicago Bankroll".
what you do is take a 100/50/20 dollar bill and fold a stack of 40-50 dollar bills/mixed monopoly money/local money inside.Then wrap it up with a rubber band n there you go. Instant decoy.
I used that shit back when i was hustling pool in Florida in late 90's early 2000's. Going into some mean/strange poolrooms you dont know if you'll be allowed to walk out with your winnings. When you're leaving is when the problem starts. Some asswipes , when they realise that they got hustled would get pretty pissed !
I only had to use it once though. 3-4 guys made a move on me and i just flung my Chicago Roll at them ,before they even got to me ,and ran.
who do you think they're gonna chase ....me or that fat roll they saw sailing through the air ?
Im sure at least one of them must've popped a vein when he realised he got double-hustled .

:icon_lol:

i think i made like 8-900 bucks from that room ....minus the 70-80 dollar roll !

as for the knife thing ....fuck it. His reach is longer , you cant 'block' a knife and worst of all .....when u get stabbed you dont realise it. You could have three or four holes in your chest and you dont feel it, keep going then an hour later ..you're a hero but dead.

If you do get attacked by a knife weilding fool and you have no choice then what you want to do (and this is gold here) is take off your jacket/sweater/top and wrap it around your forearm quickly. Use your forearm like a shield ,u cant die from getting cut there unlike your torso which is your main priority. Dont worry about your head so much cuz its easy to move away and your skull is an excellent guard. PROTECT YOUR TORSO AT ALL TIMES.
Your two choices are 1) Run away ......but only if you have some distance on him. If you just turn then u risk getting stabbed in the back (very painfull , potentially lethal)
2) fight concentrate on his knife hand AND WATCH THE KNIFE. You dont wanna assume the knife's in his right hand , he might have switched it to his left.
when he tries to slash/stab take it on your covered forearm. The blade has a good chance of getting caught n stuck in the cover .

ive been in a few knife fights (tough life !) and i can tell u my left arm still has 3-4 slash scars on it and i have one right through my right earlobe where this kid tried to skewer my head like a kabob (not a slash but a stab). I still get tingles thinking what if it had been an inch lower and in my ear canal.......remember what an earache feels like ? yuck.
but still ....no stab marks on my torso. Never had to go to a hospital.......i take that as a plus.

ive also known a few guys who aint around anymore cuz they got stabbed. Thats the same scenario i listed. Got into a fight. Didnt care opp had a knife. Got stabbed didnt feel it. 2-3 minutes of fighting later they stop (like all streetfights). 30 minutes an hour later ..collapse dead.

Remember self defense is a mindset not a skill. You see a knife weilding guy .....do the arm wrap thing , prepare to fight but hope to run. Back away slowly speaking calmly n firmly. Tell him u dont want no trouble , if he wants your money give it to him (why the fuck would u wear a Rolex in a 3rd world bus ?), if he wants to fight tell him "no" , "you the boss" whatever.
Hell , look over his shoulder and yell "GET HIM" . The guy will be so keyed up he'll look back n thats when u do your best roadrunner imitation.............meep meep !

that being said

Life > Desire to stay injury free > Money

Last edited:
Where you're a tourist in an Asian country... He's a bit muscular than you are.

I can assure you that the second part rarely, rarely happens. A 230 pound muscular shaven headed white guy is not an oddity in America, but I look like a freak in Asia, and there are not a lot of people bigger than me, let along bigger and with a knife and wanting my wallet. When I go upcountry in Thailand, children follow me around villages, and people point and stare.

well first of all , whenever i travel abroad (especially Asia) i keep money in two places.
One will be hidden by my thigh/groin (fuck a moneybelt ...every idiot knows about how foreigners love those) , the other will be in my fanny pack (yes i wear one...convenience) in whats called a "Chicago Bankroll".
what you do is take a 100/50/20 dollar bill and fold a stack of 40-50 dollar bills/mixed monopoly money/local money inside.Then wrap it up with a rubber band n there you go. Instant decoy.
I used that shit back when i was hustling pool in Florida in late 90's early 2000's. Going into some mean/strange poolrooms you dont know if you'll be allowed to walk out with your winnings. When you're leaving is when the problem starts. Some asswipes , when they realise that they got hustled would get pretty pissed !
I only had to use it once though. 3-4 guys made a move on me and i just flung my Chicago Roll at them ,before they even got to me ,and ran.
who do you think they're gonna chase ....me or that fat roll they saw sailing through the air ?
Im sure at least one of them must've popped a vein when he realised he got double-hustled .

:icon_lol:

i think i made like 8-900 bucks from that room ....minus the 70-80 dollar roll !

as for the knife thing ....fuck it. His reach is longer , you cant 'block' a knife and worst of all .....when u get stabbed you dont realise it. You could have three or four holes in your chest and you dont feel it, keep going then an hour later ..you're a hero but dead.

If you do get attacked by a knife weilding fool and you have no choice then what you want to do (and this is gold here) is take off your jacket/sweater/top and wrap it around your forearm quickly. Use your forearm like a shield ,u cant die from getting cut there unlike your torso which is your main priority. Dont worry about your head so much cuz its easy to move away and your skull is an excellent guard. PROTECT YOUR TORSO AT ALL TIMES.
Your two choices are 1) Run away ......but only if you have some distance on him. If you just turn then u risk getting stabbed in the back (very painfull , potentially lethal)
2) fight concentrate on his knife hand AND WATCH THE KNIFE. You dont wanna assume the knife's in his right hand , he might have switched it to his left.
when he tries to slash/stab take it on your covered forearm. The blade has a good chance of getting caught n stuck in the cover .

ive been in a few knife fights (tough life !) and i can tell u my left arm still has 3-4 slash scars on it and i have one right through my right earlobe where this kid tried to skewer my head like a kabob (not a slash but a stab). I still get tingles thinking what if it had been an inch lower and in my ear canal.......remember what an earache feels like ? yuck.
but still ....no stab marks on my torso. Never had to go to a hospital.......i take that as a plus.

ive also known a few guys who aint around anymore cuz they got stabbed. Thats the same scenario i listed. Got into a fight. Didnt care opp had a knife. Got stabbed didnt feel it. 2-3 minutes of fighting later they stop (like all streetfights). 30 minutes an hour later ..collapse dead.

Remember self defense is a mindset not a skill. You see a knife weilding guy .....do the arm wrap thing , prepare to fight but hope to run. Back away slowly speaking calmly n firmly. Tell him u dont want no trouble , if he wants your money give it to him (why the fuck would u wear a Rolex in a 3rd world bus ?), if he wants to fight tell him "no" , "you the boss" whatever.
Hell , look over his shoulder and yell "GET HIM" . The guy will be so keyed up he'll look back n thats when u do your best roadrunner imitation.............meep meep !

that being said

Life > Desire to stay injury free > Money

hahaha, your reply was the funniest I've read, and helpful, thanks! hahaha

I like the 'GET HIM' bluff, but I don't get the 'wrap you shirt thing in your arm', how can you do that in a matter of seconds when attacker decided to stab you!???
I think what should be done is grab your jacket and use that to cover his attacking arm with knife, that might prove useful. :)

Back