What would UFC do if....

lyndon955

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
All the current champions joined together to create a fighters union? I don't really post here much but I was reading about Wandy and Fitch meeting the NFL players union and thinking how I doubt they'll be able to get much done, but what would the UFC do if every current champion banded together and said they were starting a fighters union?

In your imaginary world where this happens the UFC would negotiate with the union. In the real world the UFC will continue to take care of their stars and effectively divide and conquer the fighters so that a union can not come into existence.

If they formed a union, the UFC would have no choice but to negotiate. I'd be more concerned for all the smaller orgs that have to start paying scale.

If they formed a union, the UFC would have no choice but to negotiate. I'd be more concerned for all the smaller orgs that have to start paying scale.

Exactly. The main people that I here arguing for an MMA union are those that are against the UFC, which is so blind to the real world. In a world with a prominent fighter's union the only organization that would stand a chance would be the UFC.

Also, the champions are the least likely to unionize because all they would be doing is reducing their own stake to pay for the brand new people. The instant a union is formed, they can expect a pay cut. That's the benefit (for the company) of the undisclosed locker room bonuses. They can make the money an expected thing for the fighters while not being legally required to continue paying it.

Another nauseating MMA/union thread...

What is the fk'n fascination with introducing a union to an individual-contributor sport? Can someone show me ONE successful professional/individual-contributor sport where a union has been successful - just one?

Another nauseating MMA/union thread...

What is the fk'n fascination with introducing a union to an individual-contributor sport? Can someone show me ONE successful professional/individual-contributor sport where a union has been successful - just one?

Acapulco cliff divers local 708. They successfully negotiated for tighter Speedos and no low tide events.

Acapulco cliff divers local 708. They successfully negotiated for tighter Speedos and no low tide events.

:)

I am now convinced that the PGA, boxing and Scottish Highland games contestants should begin planning for unionizing.

Exactly. The main people that I here arguing for an MMA union are those that are against the UFC, which is so blind to the real world. In a world with a prominent fighter's union the only organization that would stand a chance would be the UFC.

Unions do NOT automatically cover the entire industry.

The NFL Player's Association has/had no involvement with the XFL, the Arena League, the Lingerie League, or any other football league.
The MLB PA does not require minor league AA ballclubs to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars as their minimum salary.

There's absolutely no reason KotC or Tachi Palace or anyone else would be affected in any way by a UFC union.

Mr. Nitpick here but there is already a golfers union

I specifically identified the PGA. I was unaware that the PGA had a union. The most I could find was a July 2013 article on Golfchannel.com that said it may be time - but clearly at the time of the article, there was no PGA union. Are you sure?

The NFL Player's Association has/had no involvement with the XFL, the Arena League, the Lingerie League, or any other football league.
The MLB PA does not require minor league AA ballclubs to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars as their minimum salary.

There's absolutely no reason KotC or Tachi Palace or anyone else would be affected in any way by a UFC union.

If we are talking only the UFC then there are other issues to the unions. Fighters that don't perform well would be protected, thus increasing operation costs. This means that there would be less money to bring in new talent, and therefor more fighters would be hurt by the union than would benefit. Also, the UFC would just take those costs out of the bonuses that they have issued over the last few years. Only the worst of the new fighters would gain anything from the union, while everyone else would suffer losses.

Implementing a union does not automatically mean they would make money on par with any of the team sports. Then, if the fighters are stupid and go on strike, it hurts their entire profession. MMA would disappear from the mainstream even faster than it already has and it would most likely never recover. Things are slowly improving in the fight game. A union would stop that in its tracks.

Don't start with that whole knowledge and intelligence stuff on Sherdog. You KNOW how out of place it is here...

Back