What would Traditionalist think about today MMA evolution?

Charlitos1988

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For example in the early 70's traditional karate masters didn't like the idea of Full Contact (American Kickboxing) because it was considered barbaric and was against the tradition.

What do you think will cross trough the minds of old traditional karatekas like Funakoshi, Kano, Ueshiba and those big names if they could be able to watch MMA fights and how their original separate martial arts techniques are used on a full contact scenario?

and how about old boxers like John L Sullivan, or some early 1900's wrestlers?

Maybe they will just shock or maybe end liking it.

don't think John L Sullivan would have had much of an issue with MMA, no idea about the rest

Kano would love it. Absolutely love it. He'd probably want them to put some proper gi's on, but I think he'd be very much down with the striking/grappling hybrid.

Funakoshi would hate the shit out of it. He was against the JKA, for chrissakes.

Kano would love it. Absolutely love it. He'd probably want them to put some proper gi's on, but I think he'd be very much down with the striking/grappling hybrid.

Kano would be open to striking/grappling hybrids as his original judo canon contained much more atemi. He also believed that judo should be 70/30 throwing to groundfighting, so I'm not sure he'd be enthusiastic about BJJ.

He'd be aghast at the idea of prizefighting, though, or MMA as an organized sport.

Back