What would it take to make elite K1/MMA vs. top Boxer?

Ray Mercer was a fucking 44 year old fat out of shape way past his prime Boxer looking for a paycheck, way to prove your point.

When Ray got pissed off and actually took shit seriously he was able to KO the greatest UFC HW of all time in 9 seconds, you learn anything from that?

GTFO.

He knocked a 310 lbs Obese whoi just stood there and let Ray throw the most stupidest hook ever. Tim's stance was Boxer's stance because they were supposed to fight in a Boxing match and they switched it 2 days later....If Tim fougth the way he norammally did and was in any kind of shape he would have Koed Ray Mercer.....

He's a wrestler '

Funny video tho

Whats your point? Tom is a wrestling based MMA fighter?

Isn't the "all he knows how to do is punch, and someone with more 'weapons' would outstrike him" argument central to MMA fanboy's beliefs about "real fighting"? I mean hell, he tried to lowkick to the hell out of Briggs, isn't that MMA fanboy's blueprint striking approach to beating a boxer? It's about as valid and relevant to the argument as Mercer/Bonjasky is.

Isn't the "all he knows how to do is punch, and someone with more 'weapons' would outstrike him" argument central to MMA fanboy's beliefs about "real fighting"? I mean hell, he tried to lowkick to the hell out of Briggs, isn't that MMA fanboy's blueprint striking approach to beating a boxer? It's about as valid and relevant to the argument as Mercer/Bonjasky is.

Both are weak, your's is weaker. Hope yours was meant to be.

I know they pretty much only allow you to be matched up with boxers of a similar experience or record. But, would a highly skilled and experienced K1/MMA fighter be granted any kind of provisional to face a boxer with much more boxing experience?....

Teaching an mma fighter to be a boxer would be easier than teaching an boxer to be a well rounded mms fighter. Boxing is one dimensional while mma involves, many, many skills.

ray mercer lost to kimbo. and sylvia in no way is even top 10 hw of all time.

Teaching an mma fighter to be a boxer would be easier than teaching an boxer to be a well rounded mms fighter. Boxing is one dimensional while mma involves, many, many skills.

This argument is hillarious. There is no way in hell that any mma fighter could become a force in pro boxing as you have to start at 8 years old if you are going to make it big. The money is so high and the number of fighters involved so deep in comparisson that it is almost impossible for most to make it to the top even if you start at a young age. If any mma fighter could fight for 20 million, and that is not uncommon if you are the hw champ in boxing, don't you think they would be all over it if it was that easy? One dimensional,lol?

It took one of the guys from my old club six years to fight on the main card of UFC against a top 10 guy, from the day he walked in with no experience at all. A guy that has solid boxing will shave a few years off that.

Both are weak, your's is weaker. Hope yours was meant to be.

Funny how Mercer/Bonjasky seems to be the gold standard example of the supposed superiority of kickboxing...until someone points out that Mercer was old, fat, faded, and just looking for a paycheque.

ray mercer lost to kimbo. and sylvia in no way is even top 10 hw of all time.
Go post your worthless tripe in the heavies.

Sylvia is the greatest UFC HW of all time, end of story.

Stats back me up, go look up top 10 HW's of all time on ELO.

And that Kimbo fight was not serious, that was why it was listed as an exhibition match and no betting lines were allowed.

Your post shows that MMA has just added another low IQ retard who doesn't know his own sport to it's fanbase.

You must be joking or just plain dumb.

There is NO WAY any MMA fighter fighting today would make it to the top 10 in any weight class in Boxing no matter how much they train. I would give a pretty good chance to some Boxers to become top 10 in MMA if they train seriously, CC did it for example and grapplers like Maia have become top 10 mostly using their grappling.

MMA is just jack of all trades where as Boxing is a primary sport, it's harder to be elite at one aspect of fighting than be mediocre at a bunch of things. That goes for other aspects of MMA too, I doubt any guy in MMA who does not have grappling as his primary style (let's say AS for example) can just start training now and become an ADCC champ within 2 years exceptions like BJ not withstanding.

The talent pool in Boxing is so much deeper than MMA there is no comparison.

Only in MMA do you see 3 min gassers like Carwin make it to the top 5 HW's.

Last edited:
freddie roach says it would be harder for a boxer to mma than mma to boxing. couture is the greatest ufc hw of all time nuff said. cro cop, big nog, fedor, coleman, lesnar are all past sylvia level.

Kid McCoy made a good post on the reasons why fights like Couture vs Toney are so easy to make in MMA:

That post by Kid was really well thought out. I have similar thoughts about the UFC and how it markets itself, but Kid really put it into words.

josh barnett and mir are also bigger better than sylvia. he is a top 15 hw ever

While I agree with most of what the boxing side is saying here, please don't equate MMA striking with K1, they're not even close to on the same level.

k1 strikers would own pro boxers. simply because of the kicks and knees and the fact boxers legs would die after 1 or 2 leg kicks

I think alot of yall are missing the point of this thread. It's not really about who can beat who, Boxers vs Kickboxers, or Ufc'rs. It about a fight between the two should or could be made by a commission. How could someone from a different sport even be allow to come in a challage a top tier boxer, if they don't have any or very little exp. in boxing.

Boxing would never allow a fight like that cause the restriction are stricter then most sports. You would never see Randy come in and box Toney in a boxing ring for his first boxing match.

josh barnett and mir are also bigger better than sylvia. he is a top 15 hw ever
Listen up you tool.

Randy got gift title shots and was the UFC poster boy for a long time, he split his career between LHW and HW unlike Sylvia who was a HW all his life and ruled the UFC HW division for a while.

Brock hasn't done shit to surpass Sylvia, he is 5-1 for fucks sake and did not look good in his last fight and yet you idiots are already convinced that he is this unbeatable monster and greater than the veterans of the sport.

The only reason Tim has become a joke is he got crushed by Fedor and then KTFO by Mercer. Before that he was hated for his awkward personality and style but still respected as a top fighter. I remember all those threads about Fedor ducking Tim and UFC fanboys like you eating up Dana's bs about how Fedor not signing with the UFC was because he was afraid to fight Tim Sylvia.

And what Freddie Roach says is not necessarily always true, there is a reason why grapplers (Maia) or Kickboxers (CC) can come into MMA and get into the top 10. If Boxing was so much easier to learn for MMA fighters then MMA fighters wouldn't be fighting for chump change like 40k that Carwin made, instead they would be Boxing for millions. At his peak Tyson was worth 300 million $ and that was damn near over 2 decades ago, today if someone like Carwin had the Boxing skills and the KO power along with the charisma that Tyson had he would be worth a billion easily.

40k vs 1 billion hmm choices choices...

I think alot of yall are missing the point of this thread. It's not really about who can beat who, Boxers vs Kickboxers, or Ufc'rs. It about a fight between the two should or could be made by a commission. How could someone from a different sport even be allow to come in a challage a top tier boxer, if they don't have any or very little exp. in boxing.

Boxing would never allow a fight like that cause the restriction are stricter then most sports. You would never see Randy come in and box Toney in a boxing ring for his first boxing match.

Thank you, my post has kinda been confusing I guess.

I just wanted to know if it could ever happen, more so than would ever happen.

Back