What would it take to make elite K1/MMA vs. top Boxer?

Nick the Quick

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know they pretty much only allow you to be matched up with boxers of a similar experience or record. But, would a highly skilled and experienced K1/MMA fighter be granted any kind of provisional to face a boxer with much more boxing experience?

I know Jerome Le Banner has had several boxing matches against opponents with little experience. If a high ranked boxer were to hype a fight between him and Jerome, could a promotion make it happen? Could the right amount of potential money pursued a boxing commission?

Would Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr be possible without Silva getting several increasingly difficult matches under his belt?

Even though there are no MMA or K1 fighters realistically capable of beating a top ranked boxer, what kind of situations do you think are possible with little to no boxing experience? Prime elite K1/MMA vs. over the hill legend boxer, prime elite K1/MMA vs. top 20 division boxer? Could going to a foreign country, or making it a exhibition match get around it?

it would need a lot of money but i couldn't see it happening the boxing media are far better and more critical then the mma media.look at the shit david haye got for even talking about fighting harrison who is a olympic champ and a top 50 hw

I think it would to be a exbo like you said, cause I can't see the comissiom allowing it. Boxing standards are pretty high. I don't they would ever have allowed the Silva vs Jones fight.

I far as skills go, I don't think Kickboxers under boxing rules would fair well. The kickboxers footwork would be his down fall.

May be possible in Japan but not in the US.

I think AS vs RJJ will have trouble getting sanctioned if it ever happens even if RJJ is well past his prime.

The Boxing media are a lot more critical and neutral compared to the MMA media which are busy nuthugging the UFC including sherdog. Doesn't UFC have some partnership with yahoo sports regarding coverage?

That's the farthest thing you can get from media neutrality.

If we are talking about something like this during the Tyson or Ali days absolutely no way would someone go 2-1 against gatekeepers without any am experience and be allowed to fight Tyson or Ali in a sanctioned bout, slim chances of it happening even now especially in the US.

May be possible in Japan but not in the US.

japanese boxing is far stricter then its mma.they refuse to deal with the wbo,ibf due to improper business practices so i couldn't see it happen.

japanese boxing is far stricter then its mma.they refuse to deal with the wbo,ibf due to improper business practices so i couldn't see it happen.
Didn't know that, thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the responses, thought potential money would do more but its pretty much what I figured too.

How many fights do you think it would take for an elite K1/MMA fighter to be cleared for a bout with a top rank boxer? How much if any does a high level combat sport background get considered into the decision? What would be the fastest allowable way if they did everything right?

Funny how Toney vs Couture is so easy to make.

Thanks for the responses, thought potential money would do more but its pretty much what I figured too.

How many fights do you think it would take for an elite K1/MMA fighter to be cleared for a bout with a top rank boxer? How much if any does a high level combat sport background get considered into the decision? What would be the fastest allowable way if they did everything right?

Funny how Toney vs Couture is so easy to make.
One of the guys who got a very quick title shot was Leon Spinks against Ali, it was his 8th pro fight but keep in mind that he had 175 am fights and won Olympic gold in Boxing.

Coming to stars from other sports who transitioned to Boxing, let's look at Khaosai Galaxy who was a former Muay Thai fighter.

Khaosai Galaxy - Boxer

His first world title fight was against Eusebio Espinal in his 27th pro fight coming in with a record of 25-1.

Anthony Mundine (who these days is a big joke in Boxing) transitioned from Rugby to Boxing and he had 19 pro fights (and 4 am fights when he was 17) before he became world champ.

Saman Sorjaturong was another Muay Thai guy who transitioned to Boxing:

Saman Sorjaturong - Boxer

He had 17 pro fights (15 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw) before he got his world title shot against Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez.

Samart Payakaroon another Muay Thai guy:

Samart Payakaroon - Boxer

He was 14-0 before getting his first world title shot against Jeff Fenech.

Hope that's of help.

Last edited:
Kid McCoy made a good post on the reasons why fights like Couture vs Toney are so easy to make in MMA:
No question about it my astute friend, the amalgamation of fox and henhouse keeper roles is very much and indeed a massive impropriety that cannot in any way hope to avoid an impending conflict.

The short answer to your very, very insightful question;

Vitali Klitchko, Alexander Povetkin, Alexander Ustinov and Gregory Tony are all accomplished kickboxers and highly successful heavyweight boxers.

Troy Dorsey was successful.

An elite Kickboxer/MT guy could hang with a pro boxer in a striking only contest....an elite MMA fighter? PPPFFFFTTT LOL, take away his grappling abilities and he's fresh meat.

I know they pretty much only allow you to be matched up with boxers of a similar experience or record. But, would a highly skilled and experienced K1/MMA fighter be granted any kind of provisional to face a boxer with much more boxing experience?

I know Jerome Le Banner has had several boxing matches against opponents with little experience. If a high ranked boxer were to hype a fight between him and Jerome, could a promotion make it happen? Could the right amount of potential money pursued a boxing commission?

Would Anderson Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr be possible without Silva getting several increasingly difficult matches under his belt?

Even though there are no MMA or K1 fighters realistically capable of beating a top ranked boxer, what kind of situations do you think are possible with little to no boxing experience? Prime elite K1/MMA vs. over the hill legend boxer, prime elite K1/MMA vs. top 20 division boxer? Could going to a foreign country, or making it a exhibition match get around it?

Money.jpg

There has been some talk about a Semmy Schilt - Klitschko fight.
Schilt his boxing skills sucks and with no amature background in boxing he would land a shot at one of the Klits. I doubt it will happen though.

There has been some talk about a Semmy Schilt - Klitschko fight.
Schilt his boxing skills sucks and with no amature background in boxing he would land a shot at one of the Klits. I doubt it will happen though.

Where have the talks been conducted, Sherdog heavyweights forum?

you do realize if one of the tope hw boxers stepped into the ring with badr or semmy they would get complety murdered in kickboxing rules. they would get theyre legs kicked out from under them

you do realize if one of the tope hw boxers stepped into the ring with badr or semmy they would get complety murdered in kickboxing rules. they would get theyre legs kicked out from under them

You do realize that the question is would a commission allow an elite K1/MMA striker box a top rank or over the hill boxer? Of course a straight boxer would be murdered in K1, and vice versa.

I just want to know what it would take for a promoter to get a boxing commission to allow an elite K1/MMA striker box a top ranked boxer or an over the hill legend.

How could they really make Anderson vs Roy happen? AS has a 1-1 boxing record, a lot of big fight mma experience, and the potential PPV numbers would be huge. Would a commission grant AS a chance because he has proven to be a top combat athlete? Would he have to get 3,5, or 10 more boxing matches before they would even entertain the idea?

Its just kind of odd in a way that James Toney can make his MMA debut against Randy.

Vitali Klitchko, Alexander Povetkin, Alexander Ustinov and Gregory Tony are all accomplished kickboxers and highly successful heavyweight boxers.

I found a video of one of Vitali kickboxing matches and would like to see more, does any one know if there are any more out there.

Sorry Ts, I know this doesn't have much to do with the thread but just want to put this somewhere and yours is the only place right now.

Back