What would have happened if Lennox Lewis had a rematch with Vitali Klitschko?

Who would have won the rematch?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
From what i remember from their fight it was very entertaining. Back and forth slugfest between giants.

Who would have won if they had a rematch shortly after?

This was Lewis’s last fight, one that he could have lost and from what I have read he didn’t prepare properly for either.

So I’d side with Kiltschko in a rematch.

I'd make Lewis a favorite. Maybe not by much, but he was great in rematches, he would have showed up in better shape and he found a way to land the right the first time around, which was bad news for Vitali.

I'd make Lewis a favorite. Maybe not by much, but he was great in rematches, he would have showed up in better shape and he found a way to land the right the first time around, which was bad news for Vitali.
Agreed. I also think Lennox gets a lil too much grief for this fight. He did more than a good job landing on Vitali to the point his eye was hanging off, and like you said he would do better in a rematch. Vitali brings it, obv, but edge Lennox for me.

Lennox would never admit it, but deep in his heart he knew that he'd lose the rematch.
I also think that Vitali was quite nervous during their meeting, which wouldn't have been the case in the rematch. Maybe that's why the cut happened in the first place.

Lennox shows up in better shape, but loses a decision... 116-112.

Vitali probably crushes Lennox, as previously stated it was his last fight. Lennox wasn’t in the right mindset and won a flukey finish. He was old, physically declining and mentally checked out. He would probably beat some journeymen but his time in the game was very limited. Even if he did get back in shape.

Lennox beats him again easier. People always remember that fight strangely. Vitali wasn't dominating at the time of the stoppage. You had Lewis in the worst shape of his career, having trained to fight Kirk Johnson instead. The fight was only in the 7th round and Vitali was dead on his feet with his face looking like he'd stuck it under a lawnmower. Lewis was walking through Vitalis best shots at that point. Vitali was saved from a KO loss by that stoppage. He had 0 power left on his punches and could barely stay on his feet. People talk like it was the other way around.

Lewis showed up heavy. He wouldn't do that for the rematch.

The fight ended with a freakish cut. Odds are that won't happen again.

"I don't know" is my answer

Freakish cut????

You need to let me know which one mate, his face was a fucking mess with about 4 cuts worthy of a stoppage

Things like that dont happen to your face by accident

Wish that fight was never stopped sometimes, Lewis was taking over. Vitali was on his way to getting royally fucked up.

people act like Vitali tripped and fell over with regards to the cut rather than getting punched in the face.

Vitali may have had his career saved by that stoppage, in all my years of watching HW boxing, ive never seen worse cuts

Freakish cut????

You need to let me know which one mate, his face was a fucking mess with about 4 cuts worthy of a stoppage

Things like that dont happen to your face by accident
Okay, how about freaky cut?

LL would have caused another cut or make the same cut leak again in a rematch and people would continue to say it was a another fluke

Lennox would never admit it, but deep in his heart he knew that he'd lose the rematch.
I also think that Vitali was quite nervous during their meeting, which wouldn't have been the case in the rematch. Maybe that's why the cut happened in the first place.

Lennox shows up in better shape, but loses a decision... 116-112.
Seems so. It begs the question, if Lewis would've handled Vitali so easily in the rematch then how come he never granted him one? A rematch was warranted given that it was a classic that ended in controversy with Vitali ahead on the cards. No fighter wants to win on a cut. I could see a rematch going either way.

Seems so. It begs the question, if Lewis would've handled Vitali so easily in the rematch then how come he never granted him one? A rematch was warranted given that it was a classic that ended in controversy with Vitali ahead on the cards. No fighter wants to win on a cut. I could see a rematch going either way.
Well, simple answer is because he retired. He was under no obligation to give Vitali a do-over. There was nothing controversial about the end of that fight either. Cut stoppage is a legit way to win a fight.

Well, simple answer is because he retired. He was under no obligation to give Vitali a do-over. There was nothing controversial about the end of that fight either. Cut stoppage is a legit way to win a fight.
Nothing controversial about the end of that fight? This shit isn't even worth a response.

Back