What would happen if a champion demanded to renegotiate their contract the week of the fight?

Ken was counter-sued for Ken attempting to sue the UFC for trying to force the UFC to let him fight in the UFC again... Literally the exact opposite scenario of what we're talking about.

When it relates to any form of civilian employment that can clearly negatively effect your health and safety for the rest of you life, you can absolutely change your mind. There are literally hundreds of laws surrounding all of this.

Again, fighters have dropped out of fights literally thousands of times. Many of them for non-injury related matters. Randy Couture retired (the 2nd time) from the UFC with a fight lined up and walked away scot-free. That happened. What you're all attempting to tell me can't happen has in fact happened within the UFC.

Military contracts and civilian contracts are completely different. Once you've joined the military, you've give up all your free rights as a civilian. The government owns you once you signed on that dotted line and can utilize you as they best see fit.
I was talking about when Ken tried to renogotiate the day of the fight against Kimbo in Elite Xc/strikeforce before mysteriously sustaining a cut .....literally EXACTLY what we’re talking about. So instead of being a smart ass...learn your MMA history.
giphy.gif

Ken was counter-sued for Ken attempting to sue the UFC for trying to force the UFC to let him fight in the UFC again... Literally the exact opposite scenario of what we're talking about.

When it relates to any form of civilian employment that can clearly negatively effect your health and safety for the rest of you life, you can absolutely change your mind. There are literally hundreds of laws surrounding all of this.

Again, fighters have dropped out of fights literally thousands of times. Many of them for non-injury related matters. Randy Couture retired (the 2nd time) from the UFC with a fight lined up and walked away scot-free. That happened. What you're all attempting to tell me can't happen has in fact happened within the UFC.

Military contracts and civilian contracts are completely different. Once you've joined the military, you've give up all your free rights as a civilian. The government owns you once you signed on that dotted line and can utilize you as they best see fit.
Did Randy retire the week of the fight after the UFC spent money promoting a fight he was contracted for? And note I said they CAN be sued. I didn’t say it’s likely. But breaching any contract sets you up to be sued for damages. Fighting isn’t any different. If you’re gonna Give me examples of how you think I’m wrong, give me examples that exactly match what we’re talking about… A fighter who changed his mind the week of the fight… I’ll wait.

Wilder sued an opponent for breaching via failing a drug test.
https://nypost.com/2017/02/06/boxing-match-gets-cancelled-so-fighters-battle-in-court-instead/amp/

Celebrity boxer sued for breaching last minute.

https://nypost.com/2017/02/06/boxing-match-gets-cancelled-so-fighters-battle-in-court-instead/amp/

you’re WRONG. You can pull out all you want, but there are consequences. It’s called detrimental reliance, one of the few things I learned from an ex who was an attorney. Do you have a right to do whatever you want… But that does not mean there are no consequences.

DMX sued for pulling out of charity boxing match.

https://www.vibe.com/2009/11/dmx-sued-1-million-backing-out-celebrity-boxing-match

What would happen if a champion demanded to renegotiate their contract the week of the fight? Let's say they ask for something like an extra four million for this fight. If the UFC doesn't give them a new contract for an extra four million for this fight, they pull out of the fight. An extra four million would be huge for most of the fighters. It would not be a huge amount of money for the UFC, and having to flat cancel an event would probably cost them a lot more.

Would the UFC refuse out of principle? Would the UFC rather cancel the event and lose money on this one event to show other fighters they can't do this? Would the UFC agree, but then immediately sue afterward?

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been done before in a big way. Especially for an aging champion who planned to retire soon anyway. This is one of the few scenarios I could potentially see a fighter having leverage over the UFC.

I imagine the reason why this hasn't been done is because they are worried about either being cut or sued. If it were at the end of their career though, being cut wouldn't matter. An extra four million would be enough to retire off of. I wonder if they could potentially avoid being sued if they claimed they had an injury and began the conversation with I have an injury and I would prefer to pull out, and see if that prompts the UFC to initiate making higher offers. Most fighters have some kind of slight injury or another, and fighters have pulled out for like toe injuries before without getting sued.
I imagine if the champ was asking for something “reasonable” the ufc would grudgingly allow it, otherwise the champ will be pulled, shamed and likely get weak cards, or tv only slots from that point.

most recently? claudia gadelha refused to fight alexa grasso at ufc 246 after alexa grasso missed weight

again, you can't sue somebody for wanting to stay safe. you'd be counter-sued and the minstry of labor would be on the side of the prosecution
You have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t remember the Claudia/Grasso situation, but when your opponent misses the contracted weight....Let me say that again the CONTRACTED weight, they can absolutely refuse to fight. And if the UFC wanted to they could have sued Alexa Grasso for breach. Just because they did not does not mean they did not have the right.

most recently? claudia gadelha refused to fight alexa grasso at ufc 246 after alexa grasso missed weight

You are making up things. Why are you lying?

Here are Claudia's exact words on the situation.

“I worked so hard for this, and I was so excited to put (on) a show for you all tomorrow, but unfortunately my fight isn’t gonna happen because my opponent missed weight by 5.5 pounds,” Gadelha wrote. “I still wanted the fight because I am a bad bitch, but Nevada Commission didn’t (allow) the fight to happen.”

Source: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...s-alexa-grasso-weight-miss-fight-cancellation

You are making up things. Why are you lying?

Here are Claudia's exact words on the situation.

“I worked so hard for this, and I was so excited to put (on) a show for you all tomorrow, but unfortunately my fight isn’t gonna happen because my opponent missed weight by 5.5 pounds,” Gadelha wrote. “I still wanted the fight because I am a bad bitch, but Nevada Commission didn’t (allow) the fight to happen.”

Source: https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020...s-alexa-grasso-weight-miss-fight-cancellation
He was wrong even if Claudelha had refused. It’s not the same scenario as “renegotiating” the week of.”

The situation would be no different than when Leslie Smith chose not to fight whatsherface. You sign a contract to fight at a CONTRACTED weight...imagine that. So Leslie, as weak a move as it was, chose not to fight because her opponent breached which is her right. This guy is failing to understand that just because the UFC CHOOSES not to sue...it doesn’t mean they don’t have the right. They could have sued whatsherface for missing weight/breaching, but that’s not their custom.

EDIT: Aspen Ladd

The UFC Cancelled McGregor for not showing up to the presser.

even with a signed contract, you can't force a guy to fight if he doesn't want to fight. that is illegal

If the fighter pulls out of the fight for which he signed a contract, because "I want more money now", and the UFC had to cancel the event, I imagine the fighter would be sued for damages (ie what the UFC suffered financially from having to cancel).

If the fighter pulls out of the fight for which he signed a contract, because "I want more money now", and the UFC had to cancel the event, I imagine the fighter would be sued for damages (ie what the UFC suffered financially from having to cancel).

What if he claimed he was injured and can not compete at 100% and thus the fight is now a greater risk to his physical health? Could he then request to pull out or be paid more money?

Many fighters have some type of injuries on fight day, even if minor. What if they claimed their injury flared up worse the week of the fight? How could the UFC prove their knee/hand didn't really hurt?

What would happen if a champion demanded to renegotiate their contract the week of the fight? Let's say they ask for something like an extra four million for this fight. If the UFC doesn't give them a new contract for an extra four million for this fight, they pull out of the fight. An extra four million would be huge for most of the fighters. It would not be a huge amount of money for the UFC, and having to flat cancel an event would probably cost them a lot more.

Would the UFC refuse out of principle? Would the UFC rather cancel the event and lose money on this one event to show other fighters they can't do this? Would the UFC agree, but then immediately sue afterward?

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been done before in a big way. Especially for an aging champion who planned to retire soon anyway. This is one of the few scenarios I could potentially see a fighter having leverage over the UFC.

I imagine the reason why this hasn't been done is because they are worried about either being cut or sued. If it were at the end of their career though, being cut wouldn't matter. An extra four million would be enough to retire off of. I wonder if they could potentially avoid being sued if they claimed they had an injury and began the conversation with I have an injury and I would prefer to pull out, and see if that prompts the UFC to initiate making higher offers. Most fighters have some kind of slight injury or another, and fighters have pulled out for like toe injuries before without getting sued.
If they have an injury and they can prove it, they probably can't fight.
If they pull this with the UFC, they could just replace him (if they find replacement), especially if for the belt, there will always be fighters willing to gamble.
And the UFC could simply not give the (ex) champion his belt back, and offer him lesser fights against more dangerous opponents, forcing the guy to either take less money to finish his contract, or retire without that big money. Either way, the fighter loses.

Unless its COnor. Conor can do whatever the F#$@ he wants, and the UFC would gladly pay (since they'd make a lot more than that and they both know).

If he does it right before the fight there might not be a replacement. Let's say hypothetically there is no replacement. Would the UFC cancel the event or cave and pay the fighter more money?

How could the UFC prove their knee/hand didn't really hurt?

Sure, I guess you could lie. But if it's obvious (and Dana knows it) you've now lost a lot of leverage in any future negotiation. Dana wouldn't hold a grudge, would he?

<{danayeah}>

Back