What would Cain Velasquez have to improve if he wants to beat Werdum

All of Cain's problems in that fight was rooted in endurance. As he gassed, it caused all the other vulnerabilities.

Cardio

Striking defense

Takedowns

Submission defense

His jab

His footwork

Lol that you actually believe this.

Well, he was alittle rusty in the first round, due to ring rust.

A round, which he won. But he was obviously winded at the end of that round, he was beginning to gas.

Seriously, if the Cain that beat JDS in both rematches came to fight Werdum at sea level (Or trained in Mexico City for at least a month), it would have been a different result.

He needs to do exactly two things:

1. Come up with an answer for the thai clinch.
2. Threaten takedowns.

These may be the same thing, actually.

Don't get me wrong. He puts himself at risk taking Werdum to the ground. But no version of Cain fighting as a one dimensional striker who poses zero takedown threat is going to beat Werdum.

In fact, there are probbably at least 3 or 4 guys who would beat Cain in a stand-up fight with zero takedown threat.

To Werdum, the takedown isn't really a threat. He's the best HW grappler ever. You are not going to get him to make mistakes or change strategy because he has no fear of the TD. He really is a wrestlers worst nightmare.

To Werdum, the takedown isn't really a threat. He's the best HW grappler ever. You are not going to get him to make mistakes or change strategy because he has no fear of the TD. He really is a wrestlers worst nightmare.

I don't disagree.

Cain needs to get takedowns, and stay out of trouble, and win rounds early with takedowns. If he does that, Werdum may change find himself forced to change things up in the later rounds.

It's easier said than done. But from where I stand, it's his omly option, because of Werdum is going to fight like takedowns don't matter, then he's going to wear Cain out with the thai plum over and over (and deliver knees in from in closeat will).

The idea that Cain can just push Werdum against the cage and hold him there without threatening the takedown and without taking damage is wishful thinking for Cain's fans.

But in any case, you're right. It's an extremely bad stylistic match-up for Cain, regardless of his strategy.

All of Cain's problems in that fight was rooted in endurance. As he gassed, it caused all the other vulnerabilities.

I would say the root cause was more like he, and his team, underestimated Werdum and thought it was going to be a relatively easy fight compared to JDS.

Not that the outcome would necessarily be different, but amazingly Cain bought his own hype even after JDS taught him a lesson.

Well, he was alittle rusty in the first round, due to ring rust.

A round, which he won. But he was obviously winded at the end of that round, he was beginning to gas.

Seriously, if the Cain that beat JDS in both rematches came to fight Werdum at sea level (Or trained in Mexico City for at least a month), it would have been a different result.

Whew, that is some fantastic narrative you have invented.

Spanish, standup, submissions, conditioning, and finding away around the drug test

I would say the root cause was more like he, and his team, underestimated Werdum and thought it was going to be a relatively easy fight compared to JDS.

Not that the outcome would necessarily be different, but amazingly Cain bought his own hype even after JDS taught him a lesson.

Cain and his team underestimated Werdum, yet Cain was scared shitless to go to the ground with him, yet Cain mentioned in an interview that he wasn't intimidated by Werdum's BJJ because Mark Hunt handled it pretty well.

Nothing really, he was out of shape...he KO's him in the rematch...period.

He needs to work on his tan obviously. His skin is alarmingly pale to be rocking a tattoo which reads Brown Pride.

Werdum's skin color was slightly darker than Cain's so as a matter of civic pride Cain was forced to concede the match.

If Cain can come in slightly darker next time he will have a much better chance.

Cain easily won the first round and the second round was close until the last minute or so, so how the fuck was this a "complete domination"? Werdum is being overrated as fuck right now

He needs to not bullrush. hes gotten to much into his own fighting style that he isnt adjusting to the opponent any more.

He needs to hang back a bit and try to outbox him i think his hands are better. He needs to do what he did to Bigfoot and in the JDS 1 fight(even tho he got knockout) this is different opponent. Hang back throw some leg kicks find a nice entry with angles on the feet like he did against bigfoot.

The bullrush straight away is a nice strategy but very taxing and Werdum seems to be too relaxed to imploy this strategy he needs to settle in there and he WINS. More octagon time will help alot with it.

I think hes so used to going against Cormier in the gym and they have that phone booth fighting style cause cormier is a bit shorter and prolly pushes the pace as much as cain does. He needs to call some tall heavyweights in and work on his foot work circling away from power shots and reengaging.

Then again some fighters only know one direction. FORWARD.

Back