What would be the best combat knife ?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
A double edge dagger ?

A single edge "rambo" type ?

Is there a consensus on that, or are there proponents of both ?

Txs.

Probably something like the venerable K Bar. Maybe the the SOG Seal Pup or the Gerber LMF II.

Probably something like the venerable K Bar. Maybe the the SOG Seal Pup or the Gerber LMF II.

Thanks. Is there a reason why none of these are daggers ?
What would be the advantages of K bar type knives on daggers that cut from both edges ?

A gun (well someone was bound to say it).

Double-edged knives/daggers are also called stilettos and covered by stricter laws in many places.

I like trench knives for not cutting the crap outta your own hand
210704-BS.jpg

OK, are they governed by strictere laws because they are more deadly ?

See, what i am wondering about is why combat knives are usually K-Bar or SOG type, i.e. with one side of the blade that is sharpened.

Is it because such knives are also intended to be survival knives, i.e. which you also use to dig, cut wood, etc... In this case, I can pretty much understand that a single edge is the most pratctical option.

On the other hand, I would intuitively choose a dagger over a K-Bar type knife for *combat* aspects. Am I wrong ?
Txs.

A double edge dagger ?

A single edge "rambo" type ?

Is there a consensus on that, or are there proponents of both ?

Txs.

Ok, I just found this Weapons and Tactics Discussion area, and knives happen to be one of my areas of expertise. The truth is these types of combat knives are subcategorized into primarily three areas, and all are going to be fixed blades for the sake of discussion.

Combat Killing Knives: These are the longer 6+ inch double edged dagger type blades, similar to the now discontinued Camillus Cuda, or Bob Tetrozula style blades. Their primary function is for tasks like enemy sentry removal, or knife fighter to knife fighter combat. (These would be essentially useless as an all around combat/survival knife, as their blades are a long thin profile intended to reach vital organs and not designed for utility tasks).

Combat Fighting/ Utility Knives: These types of knives generally have a heavier profile 7+ inch single edged, plain or partially serrated blade. The "Ka-Bar Knives" fall into this category and are now made of 1095 CroVan or D2 Tool Steel. The Ka-Bars are a great bang for your buck. At the absolute top of the food chain in this category are the "Randall Made Knives, Model 14 Attack Knives", or the hard to find Israeli "Dustar Model 1", in D2 steel, that comes out of a small shop in Tel Aviv. The "Chris Reeve Green Beret" or "Chris Reeve Neil Roberts Warrior Knife", are also excellent knives and both are made of CPM S30V.

Combat/ Survival Knives: These type of knives generally have a heavy profile 5-6 inch single edge blade with an accent on the Military SERE survival function. Sheaths generally have an accessory pouch, built in sharpening stone feature, etc... Some examples of these would be the "Gerber ASEK Knives". The top of the food chain here would be the "Randall Made Knives, Model 18 Knife", or the "Chris Reeve Mk IV, V, or VI Knives" in A2 Tool Steel.

I would avoid most of the cheap "Rambo Type" knives that you see, unless they are from a respected knifesmith or maker.

Just a quick note: Check you local laws. Most double edged knives are considered daggers, and heavily regulated or prohibited for carry purposes, and most states have a 5.5 inch blade length limit for carry knives. Some states have exemption provisions on length, if you are hunting, chopping weeds etc..., but be sure to check and be safe rather than sorry. I hope this helps. Good luck!

:icon_chee

OK, are they governed by strictere laws because they are more deadly ?

See, what i am wondering about is why combat knives are usually K-Bar or SOG type, i.e. with one side of the blade that is sharpened.

Is it because such knives are also intended to be survival knives, i.e. which you also use to dig, cut wood, etc... In this case, I can pretty much understand that a single edge is the most pratctical option.

On the other hand, I would intuitively choose a dagger over a K-Bar type knife for *combat* aspects. Am I wrong ?
Txs.
The laws are more about making exceptions for hunting knives I'd think, rather than about which is more dangerous. And hunting knives need a big curved edge obviously, to skin stuff.

There are knife-fighting styles that use slashing in addition to or instead of stabbing. So who knows what works best.

Ok, I just found this Weapons and Tactics Discussion area, and knives happen to be one of my areas of expertise. The truth is these types of combat knives are subcategorized into primarily three areas, and all are going to be fixed blades for the sake of discussion.

Combat Killing Knives: These are the longer 6+ inch double edged dagger type blades, similar to the now discontinued Camillus Cuda, or Bob Tetrozula style blades. Their primary function is for tasks like enemy sentry removal, or knife fighter to knife fighter combat. (These would be essentially useless as an all around combat/survival knife, as their blades are a long thin profile intended to reach vital organs and not designed for utility tasks).

Combat Fighting/ Utility Knives: These types of knives generally have a heavier profile 7+ inch single edged, plain or partially serrated blade. The "Ka-Bar Knives" fall into this category and are now made of 1095 CroVan or D2 Tool Steel. The Ka-Bars are a great bang for your buck. At the absolute top of the food chain in this category are the "Randall Made Knives, Model 14 Attack Knives", or the hard to find Israeli "Dustar Model 1", in D2 steel, that comes out of a small shop in Tel Aviv. The "Chris Reeve Green Beret" or "Chris Reeve Neil Roberts Warrior Knife", are also excellent knives and both are made of CPM S30V.

Combat/ Survival Knives: These type of knives generally have a heavy profile 5-6 inch single edge blade with an accent on the Military SERE survival function. Sheaths generally have an accessory pouch, built in sharpening stone feature, etc... Some examples of these would be the "Gerber ASEK Knives". The top of the food chain here would be the "Randall Made Knives, Model 18 Knife", or the "Chris Reeve Mk IV, V, or VI Knives" in A2 Tool Steel.

I would avoid most of the cheap "Rambo Type" knives that you see, unless they are from a respected knifesmith or maker.

Just a quick note: Check you local laws. Most double edged knives are considered daggers, and heavily regulated or prohibited for carry purposes, and most states have a 5.5 inch blade length limit for carry knives. Some states have exemption provisions on length, if you are hunting, chopping weeds etc..., but be sure to check and be safe rather than sorry. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Great info, thank you.

You actually wrote what I thought, which is that for combat only (without the utility/survival aspect), a rather long dagger would be much more appropriate.

As the above poster pointed out, however, wouldn't a Ka-Bar type blade be more appropriate for slicing motions ? Or can you slice/slash as well with a symetrical dagger blade ?

Thanks.

Great info, thank you.

You actually wrote what I thought, which is that for combat only (without the utility/survival aspect), a rather long dagger would be much more appropriate.

As the above poster pointed out, however, wouldn't a Ka-Bar type blade be more appropriate for slicing motions ? Or can you slice/slash as well with a symetrical dagger blade ?

Thanks.

Most knife fighters that I know seem to prefer the long thinner profile double edged blade similar to the Camillus Cuda Fixed Blade, that I mentioned for an all around fighter. However, a long thin double edge blade does do a better job at stabbing or puncturing, while something like the Chris Reeve Neil Roberts Warrior Knife, would be better for slashing.

Generally, anything with a slightly modified recurve design to the blade will be better at slashing. A good example (although it is a folder) would be the Emerson Knives Commander. And, while any type of knive wound is devastating, there are two primary hand grips positions that are used in a knife fight, and used dependent upon the interval gap or distance between opponents. They are the forward and reverse grip positions, and most good figthing knives will have a pivot point on the handle, which is an area of balance that allows the fighter to quickly transition to a different grip position. While you can stab or slash from both grip positions, most people will take what ever you "feed" them with a slash, ie. arms, legs, etc... to facilitate an opening and then close in to finish with several deep stabs or punctures to vital organs.

Most knife fighters that I know seem to prefer the long thinner profile double edged blade similar to the Camillus Cuda Fixed Blade, that I mentioned for an all around fighter

This is beyond the "scope", here , but do you actually know people who were in a knife fight ?

Can knife fighting training really translate into something efficient in a real situation ?
I mean the rarity of such situations make it impossible to judge the efficiency of a system, doesn't it ?

^^ not to mention that even the "winner" is liable to bleed to death before the ambulance arrives.

Unless you're in a SEAL, Delta Force, Marine Force Recon, USAF Combat Controller, Elite Mercenary, vigilante, or psychotic murderer you will NEVER use a knife in a fight.

K-bar's are for cutting rope, whitling down a tent spike, scraping gunk out of your boot treads, wedging cans of food open and the like.

However if you are one of the above then i highly suggest either a fairbarn-sykes fighting knife, or a trench knife.

This is beyond the "scope", here , but do you actually know people who were in a knife fight ?

Can knife fighting training really translate into something efficient in a real situation ?
I mean the rarity of such situations make it impossible to judge the efficiency of a system, doesn't it ?

Ok, let me rephrase that, most knife fighters whose styles and techniques I have studied, and am quite familiar with seem to prefer the Terozula type blades. Most knife fighting techniques taught today are very dynamic, and originate from the martial arts of the Philippines, Native American Apaches, and are also taught in Israeli Krav Maga.

Some of the more well known knife practitioners of today, like Kelly Worden, James Keating, Ernest Emerson, and Frank Cucci have developed comprehensive and very effective styles. And yes, they are very practical and effective in, "life threatenening self defense situations where the use of deadly force is justified in defense of yourself or an innocent third person", and you do not have access to a firearm.

In almost all of these situations, people would be carrying a folding fighter, and a good place to start with one of those would be Emerson Knives. I have owned several of those, and can personally vouch for their exceptional quality. The large Emerson Commander, large CQC-7, CQC-11, CQC-15, and large Karambit are all excellent choices for folding knife carry.

Most highly trainined Military Special Operators will almost always carry a fixed blade and a folder, and will tell you that they will only use them in an offensive or defensive capacity as a very last resort. The last thing that they want is a fair fight, and it would be foolish to go crawling through cattails with a knife, if you can accomplish the task with an M4 Tactical Rifle.

Thanks. Is there a reason why none of these are daggers ?
What would be the advantages of K bar type knives on daggers that cut from both edges ?

Because they are more versatile. Dagger are primarily stabbing weapons. These knives could be used for a much broader range of applications.

can you tell me that in which category tactical knives fall in.Is there any major difference in the knives you mentioned and the tactical knives???

Back