What will happen to team Lloyd Irvin?

Did Joe Moreira lose a huge chunk of business and/or students when his student statutory raped a women? Did Ralph Gracie lose a huge chunk of business and/or students when his student broke in a house and raped a woman at knifepoint? The answer is no to both of these.Both were treated as singular issues where the perpetrators were grown men and were responsible for themselves.YET, in this case Lloyd is being blamed. Really....whats the difference? I have an idea but don't want to change this whole topic.

Did Joe Moreira lose a huge chunk of business and/or students when his student statutory raped a women? Did Ralph Gracie lose a huge chunk of business and/or students when his student broke in a house and raped a woman at knifepoint? The answer is no to both of these.Both were treated as singular issues where the perpetrators were grown men and were responsible for themselves.YET, in this case Lloyd is being blamed. Really....whats the difference? I have an idea but don't want to change this whole topic.

I thought those instructors got some blame at the time too. I remember the Cameron Earle thing at least. He brought some serious shame on his instructor.

Ralph took a hit from that one and some of his other behavior (sucker punching Bobby Southworth on crutches, etc.).

someone just posted a link to the current case on the pic.

edit: and it was promptly deleted.

We'll see how long this process goes. he may have to pay someone to full-time scour his FB to make sure people aren't posting links to the case.

I don't think many people leave at this level of exposure. If it got more media coverage then maybe some people would leave.

The problem for LI is that new people won't want to join his gym.

No, it will be the repercussions of what happened 20 years ago and not just what happened on NYE.

No, it will be the repercussions of what happened 20 years ago and not just what happened on NYE.

Nah...scroll through that thread.People were condemning Lloyd long before that was even brought up.Additionally....lets put that rape case in perspective.The man was in an apt where a chick willingly had sex with multiple guys and he didn't participate in any way(held her down,had sex etc.He wasn't even in the same room.

In case you have not noticed, I did not participate on that thread and just jump in on this one because it is discussing of what can happen to the team.

Only time will tell I guess.

But I can see lot of people distancing themselves.

It is just bad for business.

Edit: your view of what happenned 20 years ago...whoa!

Nah...scroll through that thread.People were condemning Lloyd long before that was even brought up.Additionally....lets put that rape case in perspective.The man was in an apt where a chick willingly had sex with multiple guys and he didn't participate in any way(held her down,had sex etc.He wasn't even in the same room.

Did you read the articles? He testified in court that he wanted to, and tried to have sex with her, but was "temporarily impotent"

He was in the room, him and his friend were the last ones to go into the room.

So, yes... he sat there and watched, and when it was his turn... he couldn't get it up.

This is the first post I ever agree with in this forum with. Ever.

This isn't the first time we've seen rape in sport, or BJJ. Franca did it and people forgot, the only reason why this is so big is because people are kicking dirt at LI.

Btw, Keenan = TLI.

Trust me, nobody in Oregon has forgotten what Hermes did.

For fucks sake, you and Chulo, and that other massive twat devturn or whatever his name is, need some serious reading comprehension help. This is not people blaming LI for this recent rape, this is people rightly holding LI accountable for his past in light of recently discovered information. It just so happens that the information was discovered as a result of his handling of the other rape case.

And for the record, the difference is that AFAIK, neither Joe Moreira nor Ralph Gracie have themselves been involved in a rape. That's a pretty fucking key difference, don't you agree?

Your LI apologism is embarrassing.

For fucks sake, you and Chulo, and that other massive twat devturn or whatever his name is, need some serious reading comprehension help. This is not people blaming LI for this recent rape, this is people rightly holding LI accountable for his past in light of recently discovered information. It just so happens that the information was discovered as a result of his handling of the other rape case.

And for the record, the difference is that AFAIK, neither Joe Moreira nor Ralph Gracie have themselves been involved in a rape. That's a pretty fucking key difference, don't you agree?

Your LI apologism is embarrassing.

And who the fuck are you to say what is "rightly" in this situation and what is not? You are nobody, and just like everyone in this forum, you don't know what happened exactly, let alone what the fuck was going in this 2 person's minds. "It just so happens to be discovered" are you fucking serious? One of the dudes in the other thread said he "knew" this for a long time but kept silence for some reason and decided to "tell everyone" now, I don't know why he did this, but let's just leave that alone.

And even if they were involved in a rape before, that doesn't mean his name should be thrown around like it is with LI's right now. So nah, I don't fucking agree.

I'm not trying to defend LI, or any of the criminals, let's get that straight, I'm just saying, the way the man's name is being thrown around is kind of unfair for something that doesn't have anything with but his students did.

And who the fuck are you to say what is "rightly" in this situation and what is not? You are nobody, and just like everyone in this forum, you don't know what happened exactly, let alone what the fuck was going in this 2 person's minds. "It just so happens to be discovered" are you fucking serious? One of the dudes in the other thread said he "knew" this for a long time but kept silence for some reason and decided to "tell everyone" now, I don't know why he did this, but let's just leave that alone.

And even if they were involved in a rape before, that doesn't mean his name should be thrown around like it is with LI's right now. So nah, I don't fucking agree.

I'm not trying to defend LI, or any of the criminals, let's get that straight, I'm just saying, the way the man's name is being thrown around is kind of unfair for something that doesn't have anything with but his students did.

Deflection.

Balto released that story because of LI's handling of the recent rape case, FYI.

Yes, he was. He even admitted to wanting to have sex with the woman.

One man who was arrested wasn't charged because the woman couldn't positively ID the guy as one of her attackers, yet LI was charged. What does that tell you?

The truth is you haven't bothered to read the articles posted.

LOL @ all the "is Lloyd Irvin the best BJJ coach out there" to "holy shit he's a rapist"

LOL @ all the "is Lloyd Irvin the best BJJ coach out there" to "holy shit he's a rapist"

Being a rapist usually makes that to your popularity.

Rapist Lloyd or Master Lloyd, there will be two camps from now on and everyone have to decide for themselves.

Just saw this on FB:

My Statement on The Lloyd Irvin Team's Rape Issues and our Son, Keenan:

I've been inundated with e-mails and calls about Keenan and whether he is going to stay or leave the LI team. Well, that's not up to me. Keenan is 20 going on 21 --and he's smart, independent, talented, and fully supported by his mother and I.

As for all of the rape issues on the table; rape is an unacceptable act of violence - and not something I want my daughters or sons to have to face or live with. My heart goes out to all of the people involved --as the destruction and damage to both the victims and perpetrators will be long lasting and painful. Are the allegations all true? That's not up for me to decide; the legal system and the media will reveal the truth in time. May the appropriate punishment be doled out to the sociopaths that commit rape; and may healing and wisdom come to the victims and their families.

Personally, I want my son out of that environment and far away from the whole scene. What I've heard and experienced recently and over the last month or so has convinced me that there are far, far better situations and people to be involved with --and while good things have come from involvement up to this point, the situation is far from ideal and I want my family far away from it all.

Keenan was a very talented BJJ practitioner before he moved to Maryland --and will continue to shine, I'm sure. I do not want the stain of the piss poor judgment and violence committed by those involved to attach itself to Keenan's reputation --and my opinion is that he should, out of principle, immediately resign from the team and go involve himself with a new group of peers and friends.

I will encourage Keenan to cultivate a new team and sponsors and I'd like the whole scene to go on as it will without our family's involvement. I hope the allegations all turn out to be false and that this ugly wound on the reputation of the martial arts, in general, heals quickly and is replaced by the awareness that we have to coach our young men to understand what rape is --and why it is an unacceptable act of violence and blatant, damaging disrespect.

Tom Callos

Back