What will happen to team Lloyd Irvin?

I agree with both of these sentiments.

Plus, people seem to forget VERY quickly.

I actually think Keenan leaves...he hasn't really been there THAT long and it would be a terrible business decision for himself to stay aligned with this entire situation.

Home grown guys like JT and DJ will probably stay.

I actually think Keenan leaves...he hasn't really been there THAT long and it would be a terrible business decision for himself to stay aligned with this entire situation.

Home grown guys like JT and DJ will probably stay.

Again I disagree. He owes a lot to TLI. He was a nobody a couple of years ago and saw how he got so much better so quickly using Lloyd's system.

Where would he even go? People are leaving Alliance like crazy. GB is a joke now, unfortunately. (With both I'm referring to the US based schools not the bb level). His options are Mendes bros or Andre or Marcelo.

I dunno I don't see much changing at Lloyd's at all.

Everything will get downplayed and people will forget, as so often is the case.

Again I disagree. He owes a lot to TLI. He was a nobody a couple of years ago and saw how he got so much better so quickly using Lloyd's system.

Where would he even go? People are leaving Alliance like crazy. GB is a joke now, unfortunately. (With both I'm referring to the US based schools not the bb level). His options are Mendes bros or Andre or Marcelo.

I dunno I don't see much changing at the gym at all.

Everything will get downplayed and people will forget, as so often is the case.

he could go to atos.

JT torres should leave. he got all he could from tli. now it just seems like hes brainwashed. its like a cult over there

Just weeks ago you were saying that you were thinking of going there to be a "medal chaser".

I honestly think this wont effect the competition team, Lloyds marketing, or their participation in tournaments at all. They will see the actions as the wrong choices of 2 individual adult students. Lloyd will view criticism as an opportunity for those who dont like him anyway to throw a 20ish year old case that he was acquitted from to undermine him and his team. He views himself as completely innocent of the gang rape case, which was the reason he acquitted. His biggest concern will be on the female student who was raped, and how all the excess noise will harm his business and team.

^ My thoughts exactly.

This isn't the first time we've seen rape in sport, or BJJ. Franca did it and people forgot, the only reason why this is so big is because people are kicking dirt at LI.

Btw, Keenan = TLI.

Just weeks ago you were saying that you were thinking of going there to be a "medal chaser".

So what does that mean? Obviously people thinking about going there up to 2 days ago vs now will have a different perspective on the team.

someone already posted the link of NYE on his dad FB 20 hours ago.

then his dad went on rampage against rape on how we should educate people etc (about 17 hours)..

just to be given the link about LI past (20 years ago) about 3 hours.

The dad was speechless. He taught MA all his life.

I don't how/if he can influence his son.

someone already posted the link of NYE on his dad FB 20 hours ago.

then his dad went on rampage against rape on how we should educate people etc (about 17 hours)..

just to be given the link about LI past (20 years ago) about 3 hours.

The dad was speechless. He taught MA all his life.

I don't how/if he can influence his son.

His dad is huge on character. Back when I was in Karate, I looked up to him big time.

He is a great martial artist. So is his son.

just weeks ago i didnt know the team consisted of rapists

A week ago you suggested a guy go to Ralph Gracie in SF. The same school that Cameron Earle(RG BlackBelt and convicted rapist) trained for years. Whats different now?

A week ago you suggested a guy go to Ralph Gracie in SF. The same school that Cameron Earle(RG BlackBelt and convicted rapist) trained for years. Whats different now?

thats one student. not the coach. Also, I wasnt aware of that
I can see youre still angry with what I said about ceasar's school

However, I think he underestimates how strongly people will feel about this situation who were indifferent to him prior or perhaps more importantly - dont know him yet.

He thinks its just people that did not like him before being loud. If any of the media outlets dig a little deeper into the story (LI's history, medal chaser sponsorship's by the academy, culture at The Jungle) it could be one of those local stories that sticks in the media longer and directs the wrath of the general population. I live in So. Cali, and I could see an equivalent radio show like "John & Ken" following the story for a longer period. If that happened, I could see his business being decimated.

With the coverage that exists now, it will be a blow, but people will soon forget as the hatred that is going on right now passes and LI is allowed to speak more candidly. He is a very compelling speaker and will leave a certain percentage of people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think from a business standpoint he is worried most about the press in his local area. He doesnt care what people who already do jiu-jitsu think. He didnt post the rape prevention videos because he cares about hiding it on google to us. He doesnt want his local community to see and people stop attending his school even at the expense of his reputation among us.

His dad is huge on character. Back when I was in Karate, I looked up to him big time.

I was really, really impressed with Keenan's dad on his Inside BJJ interview (think it was those guys, could have been OMR), if the son is anything like the father then I have a hard time seeing him stay. But who knows? Keenan is young and LI is very persuasive. I'd love to see Keenan go somewhere like Atos of Alliance, I think he'd reach even greater heights even faster with them, if nothing else because he'd have guys like Galvao and the Mendes bros to train with every day.

However, I think he underestimates how strongly people will feel about this situation who were indifferent to him prior or perhaps more importantly - dont know him yet.

He thinks its just people that did not like him before being loud. If any of the media outlets dig a little deeper into the story (LI's history, medal chaser sponsorship's by the academy, culture at The Jungle) it could be one of those local stories that sticks in the media longer and directs the wrath of the general population. I live in So. Cali, and I could see an equivalent radio show like "John & Ken" following the story for a longer period. If that happened, I could see his business being decimated.

With the coverage that exists now, it will be a blow, but people will soon forget as the hatred that is going on right now passes and LI is allowed to speak more candidly. He is a very compelling speaker and will leave a certain percentage of people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I think from a business standpoint he is worried most about the press in his local area. He doesnt care what people who already do jiu-jitsu think. He didnt post the rape prevention videos because he cares about hiding it on google to us. He doesnt want his local community to see and people stop attending his school even at the expense of his reputation among us.

We shouldn't forget either than LI subsidizes the medal chasers with his other students's fees and presumably other businesses...I'm sure many of his students like and are willing to pay for the cachet of being associated with the medal chasers, if they no longer feel like that's a plus for being with TLI then they might not be willing to keep paying high fees in what is after all a competitive BJJ scene in the Mid-Atlantic region. I think even if the medal chasers all stay, this still hurts his business significantly. Normal people don't want to be associated with rapists and have a lot less to lose by leaving LI than the medal chasers.

You are wise.

One thing I have always wondered about the Jungle house is that it appears to just be a regular McMansion in a regular residential suburb in Maryland with yards and dogs and stuff. Aren't there any ordinances against setting up a boarding house like that? I get the feeling that it depresses property values and pisses off the neighbors a lot to have 20 unrelated single guys living in one house.

I could see the concern about the local media making it out to be some kind of "rapist house" that is a menace to a society or something. They can take some pretty wild angles for a story.

I think it is the beginning of the end for TLI.

affiliations will distance themselves and even close students will start running under their own name.

some might even create a sub group with new name/image.

I said people forget quickly but I never thought it would be this quick.

Lloyd's fb is back up and he posted a pic of keenan in brazil. Almost 200 likes and plenty of comments of support for keenan.

If I were training there, I'd expect him to come clean and profess that he's a changed man. Anything less and you have to wonder what kind of person he still is.

someone just posted a link to the current case on the pic.

edit: and it was promptly deleted.

Back