What will happen to Phil Rivers? Will the Chargers let him go or sign

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rivers has become a chucker. I think he is at the age where he is thinking about his health And trying to avoid hard sacks as much as possible. He is tossing it up in deep coverage and long passes that either fall short or in the defenders hands.

He also cant handle pressure, he has the record for career losses in games by close margins. Its not like the chargers are losing shut outs, several games this season the Chargers D got him the ball back or the other team turned it over and he still couldnt score or take advantage of the opportunity.

Do you think the Chargers sign him to a two year contract with a drastic pay cut say two years 10 million? I think Rivers will demand too much money and likely go to another team.

All signs point to him being in the Free Agent pool this off season. The Chargers should have a decently high first round draft pick and it's a decent QB class from what I can tell.

Burrow is 100% going to be a Bengal but you still have Herbert, Tua if he recovers, and Fromm from Georgia as well as dude's like Gordon coming out of WSU in later rounds.

All signs point to him being in the Free Agent pool this off season. The Chargers should have a decently high first round draft pick and it's a decent QB class from what I can tell.

Burrow is 100% going to be a Bengal but you still have Herbert, Tua if he recovers, and Fromm from Georgia as well as dude's like Gordon coming out of WSU in later rounds.
I would love to see Ron Rivera as the new coach of chargers.

Tua would be a great choice especially since its the LA market a lot of Samoans and Islanders in the Carson area. He has the star potential and could lure fans to Chargers over Rams with the Rams stinking as well. I see Spanos selling the team within the next two years, it was the main reason he moved to LA knowing Chargers have no fans in the vicinity he wants that two billion dollar media market price tag. He wouldn't have gotten that type of cash if he were to sell while in SD with a decrepit stadium that needed renovations.

I feel bad for Rivers, I was a big fan of his and always rooted for the guy but he went from one great season last year to one of the worst I ever seen, he was just chucking them and getting picked, he was throwing blatant interceptions it was cringeworthy.

Its hard because Rivers was so loyal to SD, but the truth has come out. People kept pitying Rivers saying why doesn't SD get him a good O line or get him some good role players, some good receivers, a good defense

well he had a pretty good O line, he has a great defense, and you know its a good Defense when they are able to hold off from being shut out.

What team do you think will pick up Rivers?

Time to retire and make more kids or something

Jalen Hurts is going to be the best QB in this draft, at least early on.

Rivers is still in the top half of QB's in the league. A change of scenery makes sense for both parties but if I'm the GM I don't let him go just yet. Draft a couple rookie QB's and see if you can get a 1st for Rivers next season.

According to some people, Brady is going to take his spot next year.

He'll land on his feet somewhere. Hes got some gas left in the tank, and hes good enough to be a starter still, or at least a well paid backup.

Chargers will give him a one year deal and draft a qb in the first round.

I think Rivers last contract was 84 million with a 20 million signing bonus for 4 years.

If he wants another extension they could offer him two years at 10 million with a 5 million signing bonus, will Rivers take that?

Because the Chargers can pick a Top QB this draft to replace him.

Another team will likely offer Rivers bigger money but he said he wants to retire in SD. I could see another team give him a 3 year contract for 30 million and a 15 million signing bonus.

Rivers is a durable older QB, he has so many consecutive starts and never been seriously injured.

Rivers is still in the top half of QB's in the league. A change of scenery makes sense for both parties but if I'm the GM I don't let him go just yet. Draft a couple rookie QB's and see if you can get a 1st for Rivers next season.
Only thing Rivers was top half in was yards and that's mostly because he threw 600 times. He was bottom half in Passer Rating and near the bottom in QBR. He also threw the third most INTs this season behind only Jameis and Baker. He had 23 turnovers this season.

Only thing Rivers was top half in was yards and that's mostly because he threw 600 times. He was bottom half in Passer Rating and near the bottom in QBR. He also threw the third most INTs this season behind only Jameis and Baker. He had 23 turnovers this season.
You're right. I was being generous. Not sure he's worse than a rookie QB though. SD needs to draft 2 and let them compete for the job while Rivers is a placeholder.

You're right. I was being generous. Not sure he's worse than a rookie QB though. SD needs to draft 2 and let them compete for the job while Rivers is a placeholder.
Yeah I think you and the others saying they should keep him one more year and draft a QB are probably right. I don't think they have any kind of heir apparent. I also have no idea how their cap situation looks or how many of their better players are up soon. If they feel pressure to win now, they'll probably hit free agency. Otherwise, keeping him one more year and hitting the draft is the way to go.

As a chargers fan, I've been so pissed with his recent performance. However, it ain't right to just let him wall after all he's done for the team. I say give him another year, draft heavy on o-line so he won't get killed and shore up the most pressing issue on the team, and then draft a QB next year. If they do let him walk, I still say draft o-line. Tyrod Taylor is a very underrated QB, dude can run a team. I think they'll give him another short contract for old times sake.

Yeah, Rivers is basically Kobe Bryant of the NFL without the Rings or play off appearances, he is also the least known QB, most casuals dont even know who he is. I like Rivers though but the guy is def a chucker, just this last season its no wonder he has never seriously been hurt he chucks it into coverage and tosses it to avoid getting sacked.

Similar shit to Brett Favre who was able to last so long because he was a gunslinger chucker like Rivers only difference is Favre took a lot of hard hits in the process but still played injured.

Its pretty clear that most of the losses are Rivers fault, this last season finally made me realize the truth, we used to say get him an O Line, get him some receivers, so many fans defend Rivers because of how likeable he is, and his competitive spirit but he has a dam good team and his defense was able to get him the ball back many times only for him to turn it over or go to 4th and long and just wasting the opportunities.

SD made a huge mistake when they got rid of Drew Brees, because after 4 years they felt he was already damaged goods.

LOL Dam thats screwed up bro, why would Rivers let them humiliate him you think that man would give up his dignity to be a place holder? They will either give him a reduced contract and have a hot Rookie come in to light a fiire under his ass to make him realize his job is on the line or they just let him go and save money for more key players and a serviceable QB who isn't going to toss the ball into coverage hoping his receivers miraculous catch it to avoid sacks.

Yeah I think you and the others saying they should keep him one more year and draft a QB are probably right. I don't think they have any kind of heir apparent. I also have no idea how their cap situation looks or how many of their better players are up soon. If they feel pressure to win now, they'll probably hit free agency. Otherwise, keeping him one more year and hitting the draft is the way to go.
Don't forget Melvin Gordon's agent is going to use Philip Rivers horrible season to demand higher pay. They were waiting on Rivers contract to expire to make a move and Rivers poor performance gave them the fuel to demand more.
They will say there is more upside in investing in Gordon than Rivers.
The Chargers are in a sticky situation. Rivers basically freed up a lot of cap space, if they sign him up he will likely demand big money and guaranteed money since he is older. I think Rivers knows his time is up with the Chargers, he said he had a long talk with Telesco and at the post game presser he started holding back tears. He knows his time is up, you just have a feeling and I think Rivers doesn't believe he is coming back.

Chargers will start fresh in Sofi stadium with a new upstart flashy or personalty young College Qb who will lure younger fans to the LA market, Rivers never liked LA he is a small town guy who likes the beautiful quiet San Diego rancho country side valley area.

As a chargers fan, I've been so pissed with his recent performance. However, it ain't right to just let him wall after all he's done for the team. I say give him another year, draft heavy on o-line so he won't get killed and shore up the most pressing issue on the team, and then draft a QB next year. If they do let him walk, I still say draft o-line. Tyrod Taylor is a very underrated QB, dude can run a team. I think they'll give him another short contract for old times sake.
Sadly we cant blame the O line much anymore, he is a chucker who people like calling a gunslinger. Rivers has been able to sty fresh with no injuries mainly because of his O line and his fear of getting hit and then chucking it.

We always make excuses for Rivers because he is a likable guy, every year get him an O line or get him some receivers, we cant do that anymore this season exposed the truth, he is the reason Chargers lost, he has the record for most losses in tight games, he also had a defense that was able to keep games close so people can blame the defense, Rivers just cracks under pressure the moment they blitz he cares more of his health than winning, so he will toss it quickly without thinking, and thats how he has so many turnovers to interceptions

Also everytime they get him the ball back he screws it up either going to the 4th down and then just having to punt, or tossing it away or chucking it for an interception with his eyes closed while he flops away with his back turned hoping some WR catches it.

The Chargers even blamed that Korean kicker for their losses last year and fired him lol, its clear as day Rivers is the reason, and whenever got fired because he basically became good friends with the Spanos family and Telesco.

Back