Movies What were your top 5 favorite action movies of the 90's?

I'm Shawn Spencer

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The 80's action movies always get the most love...and rightfully so. That was the golden age of the action movie. It doesn't seem like it will ever be that badass again :( .

But we have had some great action movies since the 80's. I rarely ever hear anybody discussing the action flicks of the 90's. The difference imo between the 90's and the 80's action movies is that 80's era action was pure action, with plot usually being secondary. They were just plain action for the sake of showing badassery. There were exceptions like Predator and Aliens where they mixed action with Sci-fi....but then they had a ton of stuff like Commando and the Rocky movies and Rambo, which were simple plots with action emphasis.

In the 90's we started seeing almost all action movies mixed with other genres, with more emphasis on the plots. It was a different flavor than the 80's stuff, but it was still pretty good.

What are your top 5 from that era?

Terminator 2
Speed
The Matrix
True Lies
Con Air
The Rock
Demolition Man
Point Break
I Come In Peace
Die Hard With A Vengeance
Blade
Desperado
Under Siege
Last Action Hero
Universal Soldier
Die Hard 2
Rush Hour
Lethal Weapon 3
Time Cop
Starship Troopers
Assassins
Rapid Fire
Hard Target
Predator 2
Rumble In The Bronx

And I'm sure I left some off, feel free to add what ya like to that list.

And could somebody hook me up with a poll? I can't make one :D

T2
Leon
Heat
The Crow
True Lies

Air Force 1
Point Break
Independence Day
Ronin
Desperado

The Fugitive?

In no order.

For me it's

1. Speed - it's easy to forget but back when this first came out, this was an adrenaline rush of a movie. It was way more face paced than anything that came before it. It ratcheted up the tension and rarely ever let up. Once in a while it would give the audience a couple mins to breathe...but then something else would happen and the tension would shoot back up. It was great.

2. Terminator 2 - for obvious reasons

3. Point Break - just a fantastic movie. Still holds up today, too. Great stylized action scenes and also gritty, realistic action scenes mixed in. It's got everything.... action, great plot, philosophy, comedy, romance, it's got it all. It's even got Gary Busey, which is always a plus. And great performances from everybody involved (except maybe Keanu).

4. The Rock - idc what Michael Bay has become. The Rock was (and is still) awesome.

5. Con Air / Rush Hour - because I dig action mixed with comedy

Honorable mention to Under Siege. Freakin love that movie.

From your list of movies...

T2
Point Break
Die Hard 2
Speed
Under Siege

Honorable mention to Last Action Hero and True Lies.

Yeah, it was 1990.

I didn't put it on the list because it seems more plot heavy than action heavy. But yeah there is a lot of action scenes in it. And it's Arnold. So, yeah.

I'd definitely call it action, theres a good deal of plot but really I think its clear action/thrills are the big focus.

Something like Ronin would be more up in there air for me, nominally I'd say it was more of a thriller but I think you did see more focus than normal on the big action scenes to the degree I wouldn't disagree with someone calling it that.

Action Movie Dream Line-up

Terminator 2
Cliffhanger
Under Siege
The Last Boy Scout
Sudden Death

Matrix
T2
Conspiracy Theory
The Fifth Element
Event Horizon (It that counts)

Back